Renewal of a Cyprus driving licence New Rules

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Renewal of a Cyprus driving licence New Rules

Post by Mrblobby »

My wife went to the citizens center in the main post office yesterday . They have now changed the rules and you have to show utility bills to prove you have been living here for 6 months . And as in our case if the bills are in the husbands name they also want to see our wedding certificate . Sorry I could not get the image the correct way around .

Attachments
D2D76FFE-16F8-45B4-B9B4-6CF35F545C66.jpeg
D2D76FFE-16F8-45B4-B9B4-6CF35F545C66.jpeg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 11564 times
Last edited by Mrblobby on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle D

Re: Renewal of a Cyprus driving licence

Post by Uncle D »

I have heard of this when changing from a UK licence to a Cypriot one but not a simple renewing of an existing CY licence
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Re: Renewal of a Cyprus driving licence

Post by trevnhil »

Mt Blobby, thanks for posting this. It will help members and stop them having a wasted journey
Trev..
Lucky Lady

Re: Renewal of a Cyprus driving licence New Rules

Post by Lucky Lady »

Happy in Cyprus, I am not married to my partner and no utility bills are in my name. I recently renewed my driving licence and had to get a form from the Mukhtar certifying who I was together with a year's worth of copies of the water bills. No problem at the Citizens Office and I collected my new licence 3 weeks later. 😊
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The system for renewing an existing CY driving license seems to have changed since I renewed mine last June. Then it was much simpler. I forgot to take my MEU 3, taking my passport instead. The lady behind the counter accepted my old Cyprus ID card from which she got my ARC no. I also had a form from my doctor, all in Greek. I didn't have a copy of the application form also required, said I couldn't get one because of the lock down conditions. So one was provided and the man at the door to the Citizens Advice office translated it so I could fill it in,. I was able to get my application form sent off for processing.and collected it 3 weeks later.It seems that Govt attitudes to us Brits must have changed post Brexit.
Which is sad.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

[quote=Kili01 post_id=132960 time=1615376433 user_id=250]
The system for renewing an existing CY driving license seems to have changed since I renewed mine last June. Then it was much simpler. I forgot to take my MEU 3, taking my passport instead. The lady behind the counter accepted my old Cyprus ID card from which she got my ARC no. I also had a form from my doctor, all in Greek. I didn't have a copy of the application form also required, said I couldn't get one because of the lock down conditions. So one was provided and the man at the door to the Citizens Advice office translated it so I could fill it in,. I was able to get my application form sent off for processing.and collected it 3 weeks later.It seems that Govt attitudes to us Brits must have changed post Brexit.
Which is sad.

Dee
[/quote

Simple answer, no longer in the EU club, no EU benefits.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Well here's a scenario, mine in fact, I exchanged my UK driving licence for a Cypriot one when I became 70yrs of age.
I need to exchange it for a new Cypriot one in August as I will be 73yrs of age.
Should be no problem as we have lived here in Pafos for the last 14yrs owning our own house, with all the bills in my name.

BUT, last September we sold our house and moved into a rented apartment, all the utility bills are in the landlords name.
We have MEU3's, passports, our wedding certificate, but it seems it won't be enough now, as by August when I want to change licences, 11 months would have gone by since we sold and had any utility bills in my name.
Does this mean I should now exchange my Cypriot driving licence back to a UK one in August and drive here on it? I mean how do other people manage?
Thanks.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

If you have the rental agreement, and it states that the utility bills are paid by the landlord, then that should suffice.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And you cannot renew in the UK as you do not live there
Trev..
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Hi Trev, should have mentioned in my post, the reason for selling up is we will be going back to the UK to live later this year.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

“It seems that Govt attitudes to us Brits must have changed post Brexit.
Which is sad.

Dee”

Nothing to do with Brexit or Brits. It applies to all foreign nationals (third country and EU citizens) and came into effect in September 2020.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/strict ... g-licence/

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The mind boggles as to why these utility bills are required especially if you are simply renewing your Cyprus driving license. You would hardly have qualified for an MEU 3 if you couldn't provide all the required docs to establish your residency... It's no wonder that the associated Govt Depts are literally awash with all the paperwork.

Dee
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

The mind boggles at why you would question the requirement. My wife and I exchanged our old paper licenses for the new plastic ones a couple of months ago at Polis. I asked them what they needed when I went in to make the appointment and similarly they said 6 months electricity bills, copy of MEU1 and for my wife a copy of the marriage certificate as the bills are all in my name. 6 bits of paper - hardly difficult or onerous. We gave them the documents and they filled out their forms and took the photos. The process was painless, quick and easy.
Taurus

Post by Taurus »

Does anyone know if bank statements would be acceptable?

Peter
jeba

Post by jeba »

Shouldn´t a certificate of residence issued by the municipality do the trick. I got one for opening an account with currencyfair and they accepted it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 pm Shouldn´t a certificate of residence issued by the municipality do the trick. I got one for opening an account with currencyfair and they accepted it.
currency fair accepted it or the driving licence people?
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:56 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 pm Shouldn´t a certificate of residence issued by the municipality do the trick. I got one for opening an account with currencyfair and they accepted it.
Currencyfair
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:50 am
WHL wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:56 pm
Currencyfair
Currencyfair have their own rules, as do the Cyprus authorities.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:55 pm If you have the rental agreement, and it states that the utility bills are paid by the landlord, then that should suffice.

Should suffice ! OR guaranteed to be accepted?
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Does anyone have a link to the forms needed to renew a CY license, please?

When google -ing, I can get through to the Ministry website, but links to the forms return an “Error 404” message. Not found.

Thanks
CL