Keo beer survey

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PaphosAL

Keo beer survey

Post by PaphosAL »

Noticed in Tesco on Easter Monday that they are now selling genuine 630ml bottles of Keo for £2-00 (let's say €2-36 approx)..

Out of interest, how does this compare, for example, with:

1. Same bottle bought in Paps as takeaway
2. Same bottle bought at Riccos Beach, Geroskipou
3. Same bottle bought in Alexanders or the 60's bars in
Tefkrou St (behind and quieter than Bar St)
4. Same bottle at Yiallos (Roundhouse) Taverna, Sea Caves
5. Ditto for Periklis Taverna, Nata

TIA for your input! Cheers / Yia Mas! AL :?:
Gone but not forgotten...
Anarita John

Re: Keo beer

Post by Anarita John »

Seeing no-one has replied to your post, I will put in my threehalfpence worth.
In Gabriels, Kouklia, we pay €2.50 for Keo or Carlsberg.
At the chippie in Mandria and even the Chinese/Indian across the road it is the same. A pint of beer at the chippie is €2,but this is usually a can of whatever the Muckhtars supermarket is selling cheap.

We think €2.50 is a fair price, €2.25 cheap. €3 and above dear. Many places down at the harbour are offering draught beer at around €2 a pint.

I was completely ripped off a couple of weeks ago at the harbour. Forgot the golden rule of looking at the prices first before ordering.

We saw a bar in the arcade bit that leads up to Pizza Express. Outside was a display of real ales and ciders from the Aphrodite Brewery.
They only had bottled beers and ciders at the moment but did say they were getting draught beer soon. I ordered a 500ml bottle of Yorkshire Rose and Rosemary had a bottle of the wild berry cider. My beer was €4.20 and Rosemary's cider was, we think €3.90.
My beer was certainly overpriced, and I would have certainly settled for a pint of keo at €2 at the Harbour Cafe instead, had I known the price beforehand.
Royal

Re: Keo beer survey

Post by Royal »

I bought a crate of Keo from Paps this afternoon - €11.49 for 12 bottles.

Local tavernas in Polis charge between €2.25 and €2.75 per bottle.
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

My local office licence here in the U.K. sells large bottles of Keo at 2 for £3.50
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Been selling them in Morrisons supermarket and for online purchase since we came back to UK from Cyprus at the end of April last year at 3 for £5. Still on sale now....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Most boozers here have for sometime drank Carlsberg, it out sell's all beers 3.1 and has done for many years, I seldom drink these days but when I'm out I would only order a Carlsberg now, personal choice Alan but one I'm sure is a fact.

http://www.cyprusandmore.com/2011/10/wh ... in-cyprus/
Jim.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We had a bar in the early part of our arrival in Cyprus.

The UK immigrants all drank KEO whilst the locals drank Carlsberg.

Nothing had changed when we left last year. Still the same in the local bars and beach tavernas we frequented.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes many tourist do drink Keo, those that know don't, it is a mater of taste of course but the fact is Carlsberg is outselling Keo by a big margin. cheers. :)
Jim.
PeteandSylvi

Post by PeteandSylvi »

I researched the major brewery situation in Cyprus a while back. At that time Carlsberg had 53% of sales, Leon, which has the same owner, had a small percentage, Krauser, again same owner, a trivial percentage while Keo was around 35%. Apologies but I can't remember the exact number.

The history of Carlsberg in Cyprus is an interesting one and worth looking up.

Pete
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Thanks for all the input guys 'n gals! Fully agree with you, Jim. Late 20th Century, I started to find Keo left a sweet after tang in my taste buds, not to mention being overly gassy, so I converted to large bottles of Carlsberg from 2000 onwards..

As you can see from my avatar (Riccos Beach Oct 2003), LOL! Not quite the same elusive flavour as genuine Danish-brewed bottled Carlsberg, but infinitely better than the crap they call Carlsberg brewed for the UK market under licence in Northampton!!

@Royal: was that Paps price of €11-49 for twelve LARGE (630ml) bottles of Keo? If so, I calculate that's only 10% more than it was ten years ago!

Back to Jim: Do you, Leslie and friends still frequent the 'Cave' bar up behind Yiallos? Or Zorro's?

Πίνουν καλά και να είναι ευτυχισμένος!
XAIPE KAI ΠIEI EY!

Yia Mas! AL :)
emgee

Post by emgee »

I drink Leon, gallons of it!

Alan

:oops:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I tried a bottle of Leon once, Alan (snap!) and thought it tasted like a Tesco can of 0% Lager, with Luton tap water (HARD) having a slight edge over it, TBH...

What is Leon % strength these days, please? Yia Mas! AL :)
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

We were at Neo's sports club in March and are sure the price of Keo was €2.00 per pint and has been this same price for a long time.
emgee

Post by emgee »

PafosAl

Leon is 4'5%, and is normally cheaper than other beers in bars.

Hic!

Alan
:lol:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Well that's far stronger than the 3.8% beer we're now paying over £3 a pint for in a typical UK pub, Alan! ROB...
Royal

Post by Royal »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:55 pm @Royal: was that Paps price of €11-49 for twelve LARGE (630ml) bottles of Keo? If so, I calculate that's only 10% more than it was ten years ago!
Yes - large bottles (630ml).

It's on offer at present at Paps and throughout Summer that price will always prevail as the offer price. The same applies to Carlsberg. Of course, that price is for contents only i.e. you swap a full crate of empties for a full crate of amber nectar!
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Drinking LEON now for some time. (Hate KEO) AlphaMega today selling large (0.63cl) bottles for 0.95 Euro. If you take the empties back to Customer Service they give you 0.19 Euro a bottle credit note to spend on anything. But if you use it for fresh supply of LEON, the price drops to an excellent 0.76 Euro a bottle. :)
JimX

Post by JimX »

"Back to Jim: Do you, Leslie and friends still frequent the 'Cave' bar up behind Yiallos? Or Zorro's?"

Lesley does not drink, and never has drank alcohol, that was great as I never had to drive home, but rarely take booze now, does not seem to suit the Meds I have to take.

I have not been to Spilies the bar you mentioned for over a year bit of a drive away for us, but we do go to the Yialos when in that area usually walking the dog!, also Spilies closes in winter.

Below Spilies bar.

Yialos old photo..

Zorros has long closed Alan, as many bar street bars have now disappeared.

Old picture (internet) of Zorro's and one of the long gone bar owner some may remember.

Image Image
Vassos and one or two of his many friends, was a bit of a lad, now running a goat farm I believe? CL members had many happy nights in Zorro's that I will never forget!! :)
Jim.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Great photos thanks, Jim! Talking of CL, here are a couple of photos I took at the CL Lunch held at Yiallos Taverna on 17 Oct 2003

Should have used the flash on that one tbh, but you might just be able to recognize the portly geezer standing up (wearing a white shirt)? ;)

And a view from a bit further back..

A really nice meal surrounded by really nice folk (about 30 of us, if I recall)!

Cheers- AL :)

ps: Gina is TT too. But unfortunately, she doesn't drive... :roll:
JimX

Post by JimX »

I reconise that fat bloke..
Jim.