Coronavirus: Restriction free entry for vaccinated Brits from May 1

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: Restriction free entry for vaccinated Brits from May 1

Post by Paphos Life »

Starting on May 1 British nationals vaccinated against the coronavirus will be allowed entry into Cyprus without any restrictions, deputy Tourism Minister Savvas Perdios said on Thursday....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Mirek

Re: Coronavirus: Restriction free entry for vaccinated Brits from May 1

Post by Mirek »

This is really great news for us all, both in the UK and in Cyprus and hope, treading carefully, this will lead to the end of the beginning and we can start on a path to getting our "new" normal lives back

Hopefully people will not go daft and let their guards down

Whilst the vaccine, offers the receiver some protection against serious illness, it doesn't mean, as far as I know, That the person is not asymptomatic and merely a carrier

The disease is a killer, it has mutated and will continue to do so and the variants need to be looked for very carefully

I do think we will see some form of " top-up" vaccine next winter to cope with the variants

In the words of "Phil" Freemason Esterhaus........."Let's be careful out there"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Great news, at last I can see my son and his family.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Will people still want to come when they see the increases in these infection rates.. Terrible..

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/05/coro ... -red-zone/

Trev..
Trev..
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Keeping in mind that it is illegal to travel for leisure until at least the 17th May and that this date is fluid and driven by data. Looking at Cyprus' rising infection level, it would not surprise me if it ended up on the UK red list.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well it had to happen since no effort was made by Govt to introduce another lock down to Limassol when the cases there started in increase several weeks ago. Instead they don't appear to have taken any extra measures, even now. So no doubt the UK virus is probably spreading to all the other parts of the R.O.C.
Will this soon be called "the third wave"?

Dee
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

We are getting towards the end of this but it seems now that there will always be cases, just like the cold, the flu and various other viral infections.

The good thing now is that, although the numbers are still high, the severity is less because the more vulnerable people in society are being protected against it, hospitalisations are down and consequently deaths too.

There will also come a time where there is no need to keep reporting the figures. I bet if the media reported seasonal flu in the same way then the numbers of that would be worryingly high too!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I think that HICis being over optimistic to think that there will be a huge wall of money among the general public. It may be that there will be a greater divide, as some people will have managed to keep their finances reasonably intact. Wealthy pensioners perhaps, and others in high paying employment. But how about many others who have been far less fortunate due to the effects of the virus on their jobs.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
Had you read my post properly, you could have deduced that I was talking about Limassol needing a possible lockdown as for weeks it has had significantly higher number of cases of the virus, than have the other areas. It seemed an answer to trying to stop the virus spreading. But it is probably too late now as the number of cases may be rising in the other areas.
I doubt if there will be many tourists here until May. Israeli tourists may be coming here in April, but that country isn't responsible for sending large numbers of tourists here.
In Mid May hopefully Brits will be allowed to travel again, does anyone know how Russia is getting on with vaccinating its citizens?
Dee
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

I fully understand that the Cyprus economy is suffering, but I think the UK are trying to run before we can walk. Brazilian virus is not fully understood that the vaccine will work with it. I love the Island very much and will not return until next year. But I wish you all the best of luck and health.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

STELIOSBWFC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:55 pm I fully understand that the Cyprus economy is suffering, but I think the UK are trying to run before we can walk. Brazilian virus is not fully understood that the vaccine will work with it. I love the Island very much and will not return until next year. But I wish you all the best of luck and health.
Best and most sensiible post I have seen regarding the demon COVID for a while STELIOSBWFC. And sentiments agreed.

Maggie B
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm Will people still want to come when they see the increases in these infection rates.. Terrible..

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/05/coro ... -red-zone/

Trev..
I do and will as soon as I can
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

I’m 57 and in the UK

I have just been able to book my 1st vaccination online via nhs.uk next Thursday and the 2nd 11 weeks later.

My understanding is that if you are 56 or over you can now book your vaccinations via this method

Hope this helps somebody in a similar position

I have a wall of money (well a few euros) that I fully intend putting in the tills of my favourite restaurants in and around Paphos as soon as possible. Bring it on!
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

[quote="Happy in Cyprus" post_id=132721 time=1614961872 user_id=378]
Confirming what I said earlier:

http://www.use-the-final-link/news/300401 ... s-holidays

Once things start to subside there will be a HUGE wall of money to spend on things most of us haven't been able to do for the past year. Holidays and flights will be top of the list.
HIC more or less go with you on stuff but you are wrong on this mate. Lots of people are on the verdge of losing homes and the loss of income has hit them hard that would travel to CYP on holiday. Talking Joe blog who earns 30k with a family. It has been hard in the UK for lots. I have been fortunate and worked through it and my day has not changed. But this will bring mass poverty in and about the world. Don't just look at any country. Look world wide. HIC love you posts your a great fella stay safe
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:31 pm Confirming what I said earlier:

http://www.use-the-final-link/news/300401 ... s-holidays

Once things start to subside there will be a HUGE wall of money to spend on things most of us haven't been able to do for the past year. Holidays and flights will be top of the list.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I’m sure the height and breadth of the wall of money will depend very much on geography and what type of work people do. Those who’ve been working from home and retained their full salary may well be in a good place, especially if they have / had significant commuting costs. Some may well be a lot worse off if they’ve been unable to generate an income or have had to support family members who’ve been unable to work. A good 10 years ago or more, I worked out I needed to gross about £11k per annum just to get to work - petrol, town car park, train into London, tube fares, significant quantities of chocolate on the way home t9 cheer me up etc, etc, so if I was still working, avoiding that lot would have been a nice saving.

Ian
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

But then you have to take into account the cost of heating your home, plus your electricity bill, especially someone with say three children, who all have to use a computer every day at home, as well as your own.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Has there been any announcement about "Negative PCR tests" also being used for entry? While many adults may be eligible for summer travel, kids won't be...
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:55 pm Has there been any announcement about "Negative PCR tests" also being used for entry? While many adults may be eligible for summer travel, kids won't be...
This is the article from Cyprus Mail as published on 4 March:
https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/04/coro ... from-may-1

Inside it, there's this:
"Earlier, the government decided that British tourists would be allowed into Cyprus as of April 1, provided that Britain is categorised as a ‘green’ country.

That means that as of April 1 British nationals without a vaccine will be allowed to travel to Cyprus if they have a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival.

The new country category system kicked in on March 1 for EU countries, and on April 1 for non-EU countries."

From the beginning, Cyprus stated they did not wish to "alienate" anyone who either had not, or could not have the vaccination for one reason or another, so I'm assuming that will still be the case and those who have received the full course of the vaccine no less than 7 days prior to arriving in Cyprus will be allowed through (although I believe they may pick people at random to take a PCR test) - and anyone else will still be subject to the 72 hour PCR Negative test result.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
dodo

Post by dodo »

1st May uk allowed entry if had both jabs otherwise they have to wait until UK is in category Green