Paphos beaches

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Re: Paphos beaches

Post by Lincoln »

lotus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 am Before lockdown as now retired we make a point of traveling around to many of the beaches especially the North and East of the island,yes places change but beaches more or less stay the same,ok you have photographed them,fair play to you,if you can recall Jeba wanted info about decent beaches comparable to Fig Tree Bay near Paphos which of course there aren't any,it's just my opinion that most beaches this end of the island are crap
It would appear that you have not visited All the beaches around the Paphos region. Fig tree bay is ONE beach. At the right-hand side of Fig tree bay are Rocks and pebbles. To the left is over development.
All things are possible
lotus

Post by lotus »

We are talking about Fig Tree beach not the others and yes I have seen the others🙄
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 am Before lockdown as now retired we make a point of traveling around to many of the beaches especially the North and East of the island,yes places change but beaches more or less stay the same,ok you have photographed them,fair play to you,if you can recall Jeba wanted info about decent beaches comparable to Fig Tree Bay near Paphos which of course there aren't any,it's just my opinion that most beaches this end of the island are crap
FIrst of all, beaches change all the time. Councils are constantly upgrading them.

Nobody is disputing that the beaches in the East are better, though frankly, Fig Tree is not one of the better ones. What I am disputing is the statement you made here:

"in fact all the so called sandy beaches in Paphos are crap,"

As I said before, that is complete bull. You may be of the opinion that they are all crap, but that says more about your quality of judgement than the beaches themselves.

Let's take Venus Beach. That has changed phenomenally recently. It is as far away from crap as you can get.

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/venus-beach

If you want other examples, assuming you are actually interested in the topic, look at the links I posted earlier, or, God Forbid, take another look yourself in person.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
J B

Post by J B »

lotus wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:40 pm Jesus Dominic you do get your arse in your hand,..............
Never heard that expression before - where does that originate?
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I had to look it up too. :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

I remember fig tree bay ,when there was just the resturant and nothing else apart from one or two hotel's in the area, sitting there having a drink we were looking at the most juicy figs on the tree, but they were covered with white powder, so I asked the waiter, what the powder was, he said between me and you its just ordinary flour, but the tourists think its pesticide , so they dont pick them, sneaky but smart :shock:
lotus

Post by lotus »

Here we go again,as I have said several times calling the beaches in Paphos crap is my OWN opinion I don't give a toss about anybody else's! Agree Venus Beach looks better but the sand doesn't look great,just my opinion of course,if Iam allowed one,yes WHL I remember Fig Tree Bay as it was years ago,has been commercialized now but still lovely beach
josef k

Post by josef k »

Dominic wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 pm
josef k wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:50 pm When talking about beaches, we need to remember that the two very sandy beaches in the Paphos area, Coral bay and Korallia, are man made and naturally don't have much sand to speak of.
What has that got to do with anything? All the hotels are man-made too. So what? When the average punter plonks their arse on a sunbed, they couldn't give a hoot where the sand actually came from. And at least the sand in Coral Bay extends out into the ocean. I went to Gran Canaria one year, and one of the beaches there was totally artificial. The beach was beautifully sandy but they had put no thought into the tidal area, which was quite jagged rock.

Lovely holiday still though. One thing I couldn't get though, is the complete lack of aircon on the island.
Ouch. I was merely adding some information to the discussion. Personally I prefer natural beaches to man-made ones. It occurred to me that others may do as well.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You had your opinion. So let other people have their own. In my opinion, you are talking bull.

Clearly you haven't even been to Venus Beach recently. I doubt you have been to many of the others in Paphos either, in the last few years. But that is only my opinion.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

josef k wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:29 pm
josef k wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:50 pm When talking about beaches, we need to remember that the two very sandy beaches in the Paphos area, Coral bay and Korallia, are man made and naturally don't have much sand to speak of.
What has that got to do with anything? All the hotels are man-made too. So what? When the average punter plonks their arse on a sunbed, they couldn't give a hoot where the sand actually came from. And at least the sand in Coral Bay extends out into the ocean. I went to Gran Canaria one year, and one of the beaches there was totally artificial. The beach was beautifully sandy but they had put no thought into the tidal area, which was quite jagged rock.

Lovely holiday still though. One thing I couldn't get though, is the complete lack of aircon on the island.
Ouch. I was merely adding some information to the discussion. Personally I prefer natural beaches to man-made ones. It occurred to me that others may do as well.
How would anybody know if Coral Bay is natural or not? I have no idea either way, but if it is man-made, they did a bloody good job.
lotus

Post by lotus »

If you could get your facts right one day you would know Coral Bay many years ago was stripped of sand completely after a huge winter storm,I saw it myself,so many many tons of sand was shipped in from somewhere,so in theory it is a man made beach,but obviously as you haven't been here that long you wouldn't know
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What fact have I got wrong?
El tel

Post by El tel »

I had always thought that the sand was brought in from the Sahara to top up the beaches in the Paphos area but the Cypriot who has the concession for the Coralia beach told me the sand was brought in by road from a quarry near Nicosia !

Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

El tel wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm I had always thought that the sand was brought in from the Sahara to top up the beaches in the Paphos area but the Cypriot who has the concession for the Coralia beach told me the sand was brought in by road from a quarry near Nicosia !

Terry
I would think bringing in sand from the sahara would be too expensive and too fine to use
J B

Post by J B »

El tel wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm................. but the Cypriot who has the concession for the Coralia beach told me the sand was brought in by road from a quarry near Nicosia !
I have a photo of the delivery lorry somewhere, but can't find it!

We were there one spring having a drink when his huge digger came along, moved the boulders on the ramp just below the restaurant and a lorry backed down and tipped a load of sand.
Presumably, when the tide went out, they were going to shift it. ;)
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

J B wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:45 pm
El tel wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm................. but the Cypriot who has the concession for the Coralia beach told me the sand was brought in by road from a quarry near Nicosia !
I have a photo of the delivery lorry somewhere, but can't find it!

We were there one spring having a drink when his huge digger came along, moved the boulders on the ramp just below the restaurant and a lorry backed down and tipped a load of sand.
Presumably, when the tide went out, they were going to shift it. ;)
:lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

lotus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm If you could get your facts right one day you would know Coral Bay many years ago was stripped of sand completely after a huge winter storm,I saw it myself,so many many tons of sand was shipped in from somewhere,so in theory it is a man made beach,but obviously as you haven't been here that long you wouldn't know
You are correct about the sand being washed off the beach but they brought a Dredger into the bay and pumped the sand back ashore and then spread it out.
I always thought Coral Bay was a natural sandy beach.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I also remember I think in the winter of 2003/04 half the coast road in Banana Bay being washed away during one storm. The whinging on the forums was unbelievable as it took six months to repair and the traffic was diverted through the banana plantations.
I see the sea defences have been improved down that stretch of road.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Didn't something like that happen a few years later too? I remember one of the years we came on holiday around 2008 we had to drive through those plantations all the time.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I lived in Coral Bay from the beginning of 2003 to the end of 2004 and remember about 300 metres of the road being completely washed away. They've closed the road several times over the years due to major roadworks so quite possibly it happened in 2008.as well.
I rented one of the bungalows right on Coral Bay beach and we were hammered by some of the worst storms in living memory.

Jim