Limassol records 70% of Cyprus' all new covid cases in past two weeks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Limassol records 70% of Cyprus' all new covid cases in past two weeks

Post by Paphos Life »

A shocking 70% of the total number of new coronavirus cases in Cyprus over the past two weeks were recorded in Limassol district, according to epidemiological data released on Friday.Specifically, 1,045 cases out of a total of 1,498 recorded in the past two weeks were in the coastal city....

Read the article and chat about it below...
The Aquila

Re: Limassol records 70% of Cyprus' all new covid cases in past two weeks

Post by The Aquila »

Limassol....totally destroying the economy of the rest of the Island. Surely the Government have to put in a localised lockdown now?!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I agree to put Limassol into a very very strict LOCK-DOWN. This would surely help to stop the spread of this awful Virus.
All things are possible
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

With the steep rise in numbers infected , 272 cases today, you have to think Limassol has the Kent mutation which is far more contagious or the rumours are true of Israelis flying in and sailing in on motor boats to party in Limassol with no checks required as well as wealthy Limassolians buying marques to party in away from the view of helicopters. Certainly in the District of Limassol there is no police presence and hasn’t been since last March so we are possibly paying for that with a more virulent virus . Also the senior scientist who resigned two weeks ago who it was said went because he was against opening places like Malls is being proved right . Anyway we aren’t in a good place for Cyprus to present itself to the tourist as a place to come for Easter .
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The situation in Limassol is worrying. It seems obvious that the town should be placed in a strict lockdown to try to reduce the no of cases of the virus there. But the Govt formerly quick to react, seems to have no appetite to do a anything about it.
Which is strange.

Dee
boycott

Post by boycott »

This week I had to visit Road Transport in Limassol to renew my driving licence got there at 0830 and found the reception area full (Approx 50) people of basically younger people, all wearing masks but NO social distancing (not possible due to the confined space.)

No hand sanitizer available, there was a worker giving out ticket numbers and I was the last one for the day so had to sit it out for 4 hours till I was seen.

The only people that were protected were the staff who were behind screens.

I live in Limassol and there does not seem to be any Police checks on the rare occasions I have been out.
boycott

Post by boycott »

HIC - So who is or should be enforcing the law/rules then?
If no one what is the point of them?
Why did you break the rules yourself?
boycott

Post by boycott »

As you know HIC the law/rules have nothing to do with common sense HOWEVER like it or not the law is the law and you should comply not do as you wish, or we will all be doing what we like and getting a much longer tightly controlled lockdown.
boycott

Post by boycott »

HIC maybe yes maybe not BUT you still cannot get round the fact what you did was against the law. The Government in their wisdom have decreed what we can and cannot do but do not make up your own rules.

There are all sorts of silly rules going around, you can have so many here and there but not sit by yourself on the beach with no one in sight.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Without any real searching I came across this HIC on https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/more-th ... 8jPFIzhhfo

So the Police it appears are out checking and enforcing and good on them for keeping us safe.

Covid violation checks across the country have intensified with almost ten and a half conducted in just the past 24 hours across the country.

94 citizens were fined and two businesses charged for violating relevant protocols.

Most fines and charges were in Limassol, with 51 citizens and two businesses out of 4 thousand 272 checks, while Nicosia saw one thousand 424 checks with 16 fines.

Seven individuals were fined in Larnaca out of 1,061 checks, with Famagusta at 1,031 and 12 citizens fined.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I don't want to introduce a racist note, but I ask the question whether high Covid infections may be related to high Russian populations?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:49 am I don't want to introduce a racist note, but I ask the question whether high Covid infections may be related to high Russian populations?
Can you give us a bit more info, on why you think that?
boycott

Post by boycott »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am What is there for Police to check, other than if people carry their ID and have sent an sms (or have Form B with them)? Otherwise pretty meaningless. Wife and I were out all yesterday morning, starting with my vaccine jab. Then onto Alfa Mega. Then to the Russian fruit market. Then collect hardware from a bathroom store (we are allowed to shop there, or else why are they open?), pick some clothes up from Maria which had been repaired (again, she is allowed to open and function normally) and then onto my dentist. Or is it preferable instead to spread 8 tasks over 4 daily outings? I ask again, what is there for Police to check given that almost everything is open, it's a pretty pointless exercise. They probably realise that too.
Doing what you did HIC by visiting the vaccine location, supermarket, fruit market, hardware store, cloths lady and then the dentist means that you open the possibility of been a super spreader as you could have transferred the virus from one place to another by doing all in a morning.
If you had done the tasks one a day the virus would have less opportunity to spread as it should die in that non contact time.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

boycott wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am What is there for Police to check, other than if people carry their ID and have sent an sms (or have Form B with them)? Otherwise pretty meaningless. Wife and I were out all yesterday morning, starting with my vaccine jab. Then onto Alfa Mega. Then to the Russian fruit market. Then collect hardware from a bathroom store (we are allowed to shop there, or else why are they open?), pick some clothes up from Maria which had been repaired (again, she is allowed to open and function normally) and then onto my dentist. Or is it preferable instead to spread 8 tasks over 4 daily outings? I ask again, what is there for Police to check given that almost everything is open, it's a pretty pointless exercise. They probably realise that too.
Doing what you did HIC by visiting the vaccine location, supermarket, fruit market, hardware store, cloths lady and then the dentist means that you open the possibility of been a super spreader as you could have transferred the virus from one place to another by doing all in a morning.
If you had done the tasks one a day the virus would have less opportunity to spread as it should die in that non contact time.
Also intrigued how you managed to go for a vaccination (Reason 1) food shopping (Reason 2) and visiting non-essential shops (Reason 9) and finally a visit to the dentist (Reason 1) when you are allowed two SMS permissions per day per person. If you had been stopped how could you have given a valid reason for being where you were at a specific time?

Even though we complete the paper forms we limit what we are doing to the specific reason we have ticked on the box. The threat of a €300 fine each is enough to make us comply, even though at times it would be more practical to combine different reasons in the one outing.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sorry, but I am also guilty of some multiple tasking. It makes absolutely no sense to drive into Paphos to do only 1 thing. We are allowed to be out for up to 3hrs. In far less than that I can carry out several calls. For a start I shop at more than 1 supermarket to get all the items on my shopping list. I may need to visit the cash machine too. IF I need something from the pharmacy, there is one of my way home. I an still back home again in well under the time allowed.
What I may do, has caused no problem and we are in our 2nd or 3rd lockdown. I also am aware that there are others who do the same thing. Otherwise I am very law abiding.
Dee
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Can someone please advise where is it written and in what Goverment guideline is it stated 3 hrs maximum, All I can see is "for a reasonable amount of time " The reason I ask is a number of golfers asked the question and didnt get a clear response so some are sending 1 sms to go and play and another sms to travel back home.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If I am going to a few places I usually use number 8.
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

bmwx5 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:00 pm Can someone please advise where is it written and in what Goverment guideline is it stated 3 hrs maximum, All I can see is "for a reasonable amount of time " The reason I ask is a number of golfers asked the question and didnt get a clear response so some are sending 1 sms to go and play and another sms to travel back home.
See answers to questions 6 and 7 on the most recent FAQs issued by PIO.

https://www.pio.gov.cy/coronavirus/uplo ... _%20EN.pdf

Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

I am struggling to understand the reason for using the SMS system/Form B during this 'lockdown' for the general public. There is so much flexibility with regards to the time one can spend out of the home and the distances permitted to travel and the facility to just extend one permission by submitting a request for a second permission with the possibility of being out of the house for approx 6 hours with no questions being asked. In the media the number of permissions for a particular reason are occasionally published but that only takes into account SMS requests - not the Form B people.

I agree it makes sense to go out once and do everything in one trip rather than a separate trip for each 'reason' - more practical, more economical and certainly much safer. As mentioned earlier, it is the threat of a €300 fine that makes me comply and it would be simpler to just have a system which records that you are out of the house than have all these categories.
jeba

Post by jeba »

bmwx5 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:00 pm Can someone please advise where is it written and in what Goverment guideline is it stated 3 hrs maximum, All I can see is "for a reasonable amount of time " The reason I ask is a number of golfers asked the question and didnt get a clear response so some are sending 1 sms to go and play and another sms to travel back home.
I can´t tell you where it´s written down. However, I phoned 22285777 and they said that indeed 3 hours is the maximum and you can´t "pool" both SMSes to be allowed to stay out for 6 hours.