Radio antennae

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Aargent

Radio antennae

Post by Aargent »

My better half likes to listen to Radio and whilst we get reception it could be better, it would probably benefit from a better aerial. Does anyone know where I could get a really good one ?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
The Aquila

Re: Radio antennae

Post by The Aquila »

Radios are so 1980’s :lol:

There are many other options for listening to radio stations, both local and global available. Local radio can be listened over the internet if they are not listed on the TV box or you don’t have a smart speaker?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Get your self an internet radio, you can then listen to every radio station on the planet
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Nicolaou Electronics should be able to help with an aerial but also as the others said internet radio is the way to go.
There is a good inexpensive Greek model available if you search on line.

Jim
JimX

Post by JimX »

Most MAG units have a very large selection of FM radio and other music, the one I use has hundreds of albums and artist, no news bulletins of course but you have the MAG for that, way to go.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:10 pm I looked at internet radios once , saw the price ! ! ! So I decided to stay with the "So 80s " solution, still my sewing machine is " So 30s"
The last one I bought was from amazon, make Pure elan, about £60 great value
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Greek model I mentioned is about €40 and Lidl do sell
internet radios occasionally.
Another way is to use an Android or I Phone with a Bluetooth speaker that cost about €10 and the sound is very good.

Jim
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Thanks for the link....a gem of a find TY
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I listen to the radio when I am swimming in the pool. After the first lockdown, I bought a twin bluetooth speaker from Jumbos. It was around €18 and is brilliant. It even looks like a radio. We have Amazon Prime, therefore free Amazon Music. My playlist has over 1000 songs, so phone inside, speaker near the pool and I am quite happy swimming and listening. Sometimes I will put Radio 2 on BBC Sounds or Smooth and Capitol Radio on Global Player.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My daughter bought me a pair of waterproof Bluetooth headphones for my birthday and I paddle up and down the pool listening away.
Technology is brilliant.

Jim
dodo

Post by dodo »

Jim B -
Where did your daughter buy them please? 😎
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

dodo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am Jim B -
Where did your daughter buy them please? 😎
Can get them from Amazon or Ebay. Just type in waterproof headphones and then check the IP rating which is Ingress Protection. The one you want is X8, the second number is waterproof rating, 8 being the highest water ingress protection rating.

Jim
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

8 being the highest water ingress protection rating
Not any longer. Things moved on a while ago.

The IP rating of a device is made up of two digits; the first representing protection against solid particle ingress, and the second against liquid ingress:

First Digit – solid objects, dust etc
Number = Protection level
0 = No protection against contact and ingress of objects.
1 = Any large surface of the body, such as the back of a hand, but no protection against deliberate contact with a body part.
2 = Fingers or similar objects.
3 = Tools, thick wires, etc.
4 = Most wires, screws, etc.
5 = Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact (dust proof).
6 = No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight).

Second digit – water, etc
Number = Protection level
0 = No protection.
1 = Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect.
2 = Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect when the enclosure is tilted at an angle up to 15° from its normal position.
3 = Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.
4 = Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
5 = Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
6 = Water projected in powerful jets (12.5mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
6K = Water projected in powerful jets (6.3mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction, under elevated pressure, shall have no harmful effects.
7 = Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1m of submersion).
8 = The equipment is suitable for continuous immersion in water under conditions which shall be specified by the manufacturer. However, with certain types of equipment, it can mean that water can enter but only in such a manner that it produces no harmful effects.
9K = Protected against close-range high pressure, high temperature spray downs.

For example, a product marked IP53 would be
Dust = 5 = Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact (dust proof).
Water = 3 = Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect.

In this particular case, bearing in mind that a pair of Bluetooth headphones is very likely to contain a lithium battery, as Jim B suggested, I'd want to see an IP rating of at least x8. I'd avoid anything not declaring an IP rating.

Pete
Jim B

Re: R2adio antennae

Post by Jim B »

Yes Pete, I should keep up. Reading up it looks like they brought 9K in a month after I retired but no excuse.
Anyway they're really good headphones and the wife can't complain about the noise or the type of music I like.
Another really good piece of kit I bought was a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into our Apple Ipod speaker system, just link the phone and it plays either music or the radio stations

Jim

Jim
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

A massive thank you to Lloyd for recommending garden radio..amazing!