Title deeds..A new twist.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Title deeds..A new twist.

Post by Chaddy »

A friend of ours applied for their title deeds in October last year through a solicitor they have used many times before and handed over a large sum for the work to be done..So far so good.
Due to the covid there was delay after delay with the government departments who handle these matters.
NOW due to the UK not being in brexit they have to start all over again no doubt having to cough up again.
They are fully residents after living here nearly 20 years.
As a foot note does this mean there will be less Brit buyers in the future due to a song and dance needed hence a drop in property prices.
The Aquila

Re: Title deeds..A new twist.

Post by The Aquila »

Do the Russians, Chinese & Israelis get the same treatment as people from the EU or would it be the same process for anyone wanting to move from the UK now?
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

The Aquila that’s a very valid point but the EU seems on a mission to ensure the British are punished at ever turn, but in the long run will it backfire on them !!
josef k

Post by josef k »

No, we Brits are not being punished. It's just that we have left the club and can no longer use the club facilities. Now we are TCNs we are treated the same as everyone else that is not in the EU, be they Russians, Chinese, Israeli or whatever.
Learn to live with it, and if you can't, then tootle off back to the UK.

As to the housing market, apart from Peyia the national housing market isn't all that reliant on British buyers. How many Brits do you know in Limassol or Nicosia?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 pm Do the Russians, Chinese & Israelis get the same treatment as people from the EU or would it be the same process for anyone wanting to move from the UK now?
I can only speak from experience but my wife and many of our Russian friends had to apply for an MU2 which are issued from Nicosia unlike the old MU1for EU citizens which is issued in Paphos after a 20 minute chat. We waited a year for her MU2 and it was valid for 5 years and also had to return to her home country twice to have additional requested documents apostille'd as an applicant has to apply in person.
The British appear not to be being treated differently than other MU2 applicants from comments I've read, only complaints that it's not as easy as it used to be.
Two of our Russian friends applied for their MU2 just over a year ago and are still waiting.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that we could expect things to change after Brexit. Thank God Boris cobbled together a deal at the 11th hour... so at least we are protected by the 'withdrawal agreement'! Also the BHC did their best to persuade all Brits resident here to get their residency docs, be it MEU 1 or 3 (as appropriate) before Brexit.. Unfortunately getting the new resident doc, MUKW 3 doesn't look as easy as I had hoped.
I think when we are able to travel again. We will learn to be patient at airports in other EU country where we won't be able to make use of the EU channels through immigration.
Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Tanny wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 am 2 questions Chaddy,

Firstly if resident here for 20 years, what issue has Brexit raised in the deed issue?
Secondly why do you think that 'Brits' are treated differently to any other Third country?
As for buying here, I personally have never been busier with all nationalities. The main delaying factors in the majority of sales are buyer sluggishness paying, passing EU money laundry protocols, bank approvals and local office shortages.
Yes Tanny, good question,i will ask our friends just what they have had to do now that they did not have to do last year when the UK was in Europe.Your second question,well,the laws of supply and demand comes to mind.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

As Tanny said about being busy, you only have to look at the local chat rooms and the number of new arrivals who have come here prior to Brexit completion.

Jim
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

oops - dont know how to delete a post
Last edited by BOB Peyia on Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yioula wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:48 pm The Aquila that’s a very valid point but the EU seems on a mission to ensure the British are punished at ever turn, but in the long run will it backfire on them !!
Aquila didn't raise a valid point. He asked a question. It was a good question too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

As they had already bought and own the property, I don’t know why they would have a problem with a transfer of the title deed. Maybe just a different process for tax clearance. Methinks there is more to this and they should ask their lawyer exactly what the problem is.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
El tel

Post by El tel »

I thought I read sometime ago that a Cyprus government official had said that the British living in Cyprus would be ok after brexit as there was legislation in place prior to the EU. This seemed to be linked with the commonwealth , can anyone throw any light on it.

Thanks. Terry
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

El tel wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:09 pm I thought I read sometime ago that a Cyprus government official had said that the British living in Cyprus would be ok after brexit as there was legislation in place prior to the EU. This seemed to be linked with the commonwealth , can anyone throw any light on it.

Thanks. Terry
The only thing that I can think of is before Cyprus joined the EU the UK had a NHS reciprocal agreement in place.
David
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The only reference I could find about the Commonwealth was that as members of the Commonwealth Cypriot Citizens can vote in UK elections. I guess that's if they live or work in the UK.

Jim
Varky

Post by Varky »

Aren't we mixing up subjects between title deeds and residence
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We moved here in 1999, several years before Cyprus joined the EU. There was a dual tax agreement between UK and Cyprus.We had no problems buying land and building a house here. The main thing that I remember was that anything to do with Immigration was a pain.
There was a different age group of English buyers of property though. As it was very difficult for younger people to get jobs here, in the main buyers were either retired, or expecting to retire in the not too distant future. The main exception to this was for some people who were working for 'off shore' companies. There were also plenty of European buyers, mainly from N.Europe, as well as Brits who were already working in the Far or Middle East for large companies. At this time there were no Chinese Buyers, but some from Russia.
Time will tell how the housing market will respond to the changes.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I can add to this concerning health.
Only retired British people with an S 1 were eligible to join the Cyprus health system. There was a reciprocal health agreement with the UK, who paid for it. We were issued with first a pink health card, then a white one. This allowed us to use the state hospitals. Ie Paphos General. We were not allowed any access to the NHS if we were on holiday in the UK.

Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Tanny wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 am But still we are waiting to see what difference this made to the application for title deed.
Tanny will let you know as soon as we see our friends.