Lidl - muddle

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Lidl - muddle

Post by Dominic »

Why would a degree in marketing be "pseudo"?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I once watched a documentary on how supermarkets operate, most of us program our selves to shop robotacly, basically we walk in and do the same shop without looking up at other products around us, by moving the products about, it makes us look around the shelves, and hopefully for the store we might see something we wouldnt normally purchase and buy it.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

They changed the layout in the other Lidl in Paphos a few months ago, and I still hate it. It doesn’t flow and it’s making not one iota of difference to what we purchase, so if the intent is to encourage us to buy more, it isn’t working but at least from Lidl’s perspective, we are still spending the same. I have one friend who hates it so much he simply doesn’t go any more.

Ian
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

went last week, confused. couldn't find what I wanted. Left after 20 mins fed up looking and went to Phillipos, their loss Phillipos gain.
So what if it costs a bit more at least I know where it is and I can get what I want. Not worth the hassle to save 50c.

Same think happened about 5 years ago at Paps. they never learn.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's so you see other products when you're looking for your usual shopping items. Changing the layout means you have to look more closely at the shelves rather than breezing around your normal route.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
dodo

Post by dodo »

Prefer the new layout, especially the fruit and veg area. Apart from that i can't see much else that has changed.
The layout gets changed so you land up buying products you wouldn't normally buy or need, it's a regular occurrence in UK supermarkets
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

An Amercian friend of mine makes his living ( and a very good one ) advising stores what to buy,when to buy and very importantly where to display it when they,ve bought it....Oh,and i kid you not,his christian name is........King.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 am An Amercian friend of mine makes his living ( and a very good one ) advising stores what to buy,when to buy and very importantly where to display it when they,ve bought it....Oh,and i kid you not,his christian name is........King.
Worked with a few Kings, Lords and Princes over the years.

Jim
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We have stopped going to LIDL and my wife will dash in and out (early morn's) just to get the two items she buys from there.
All things are possible
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The other day I nearly ended up in the chest freezer because the item I needed was right at the back and I had to stand on the step to reach for it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:33 am Dominic, I regard marketing with a pinch of salt. I used the word " psuedo" as to mean not real, something i neither understand or respect. They call them "aisle stacks" I call them clutter ! They will " synergize" the shopping experience , I see chaos ! With age I have become short tempered and intolerant of this millennial life style. I am very content with a nokia feature phone and a pre cat pre computer car .
At the end of the day, whether you understand it or not, it works,
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:33 pm It's so you see other products when you're looking for your usual shopping items. Changing the layout means you have to look more closely at the shelves rather than breezing around your normal route.
I agree. It is a deliberate method to make customers circulate more – and it works! After a change-around, a few customers turn around and go out but many more stay in and purchase more than they went in for. Researchers have shown that regular (3 to 6 month interval) re--shelving increases turnover by more than 5 percent. When I see there has been a rehash of the layout, I swear a mighty oath, but I still continue going round. As I have (had?) a good memory, I go to where I want the next time in.

Has anyone else noticed that many Lidl products have prices that creep up little by little? In my opinion, it is becoming less competitive to other supermarkets for many items (but not all).
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally I think Lidls is way over rated , Their Meat and fruit and veg, are second rate in my opinion, as for the hams etc when you work out what the cost is in Kilos, you realise how expensive they are, plus points tools are very good, I bought an exercise bike the other week, very good.... the tools/ ice creams etc are the only reason we visit, long lines at check outs and only opening another one when people start moaning is another reason we stay away, O yes being hassled by beggars in the car park dosnt help.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:20 am We have stopped going to LIDL and my wife will dash in and out (early morn's) just to get the two items she buys from there.
Any reason you have " stopped going? "
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:46 am Personally I think Lidls is way over rated , Their Meat and fruit and veg, are second rate in my opinion, as for the hams etc when you work out what the cost is in Kilos, you realise how expensive they are, plus points tools are very good, I bought an exercise bike the other week, very good.... the tools/ ice creams etc are the only reason we visit, long lines at check outs and only opening another one when people start moaning is another reason we stay away, O yes being hassled by beggars in the car park dosnt help.
Their hams are nicer and cheaper than the usual stuff you get in Paps etc.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

mouse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:33 am Dominic, I regard marketing with a pinch of salt. I used the word " psuedo" as to mean not real, something i neither understand or respect. They call them "aisle stacks" I call them clutter ! They will " synergize" the shopping experience , I see chaos ! With age I have become short tempered and intolerant of this millennial life style. I am very content with a nokia feature phone and a pre cat pre computer car .
There are lots of things you no doubt don't understand. And it has been going on for decades. It has nothing whatsoever to do with a millennial lifestyle.

Can I ask you a question? When you were a child were older generations as pig-headed about you as you are towards the younger generations of today?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:53 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:46 am Personally I think Lidls is way over rated , Their Meat and fruit and veg, are second rate in my opinion, as for the hams etc when you work out what the cost is in Kilos, you realise how expensive they are, plus points tools are very good, I bought an exercise bike the other week, very good.... the tools/ ice creams etc are the only reason we visit, long lines at check outs and only opening another one when people start moaning is another reason we stay away, O yes being hassled by beggars in the car park dosnt help.
Their hams are nicer and cheaper than the usual stuff you get in Paps etc.
Best hams Ive found are at Alpha Mega, big selection good quality and value.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Someone mentioned prices creeping up and I did notice this particularly on their cans of ginger juice. They were I think 69c then 99c and are now 1.29. Quite an increase over the last couple of months.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 am
Lincoln wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:20 am We have stopped going to LIDL and my wife will dash in and out (early morn's) just to get the two items she buys from there.
Two crowded and people jostling around the counters. Also, they kept moving stuff to different areas.
Last edited by Lincoln on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:48 am
Two crowded and people jostling around the counters. Also, they kept moving stuff to different areas.
All things are possible