MY DIY project: solar air heater...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

MY DIY project: solar air heater...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It is now nearly 10 years that I built and installed two solar air heater systems around the premises I rent, after I found out that the house is very damp, specially inside the cupboards. I bought ONE unit from a German producer (1,5 m2) in 2004 for my house in Italy, so I knew that they working perfect to reduce humidity in a big way. As I paid 2000 Euro that time for one single unit, I thought I could do that myself and much cheaper, as I wanted at least 10 m2 of the panels.
So I started my project with the idea to find out which type of solar collectors are most efficient and to built them cheap at the same moment.
I also thought that it would be a good business idea, to produce them in a larger scale here in Cyprus where the problem with damp houses is very common and for people which are not permanent in CY, a system like this, without electricity or maintenance would be great in their absence when the sun does the drying and heating for them.

My first attempt was that:

It would have been very cheap to produce, as it needed only 2 large trapezoidal sheets, painted black with fireplace paint, and mounted the 2 pieces, (the backs together), in order to achieve channels where air can transport the heat. But it failed: too much heat within minutes and the fan which moves the air into the house could not cope with a temperature of more than 70c and burnt. (outdoor temp was only 11c) So, as I could not find larger DC-fans to run with the solar module at higher performance, I stopped this idea.

I turned back to the more traditional version, which actually looks like the solar panels for hot water one can see on every Cyprus house roof. By luck I discovered that loads of old thermic panels were near my place dumped in a riverbed and piece by piece I transported 10 of them back to my house.
So I could even built 20 m2 of solar collectors with them not 10 which I planned in the first place.

I modified the inside of these old panels to make them more efficient by bending the coils and while open, I cut a 120 mm hole into the back in order to transport the hot air to the fan. Also some holes for the cold fresh air to enter, for circulation.

Panels where the glass was already broken, I used only the body and mounted the black sheets from my first project as collector.

Instead of the glass I found some special plastic sheets, however very expensive, 50 Euro one piece, but one can see how it looked ready, two different plastic quality and next to it the old modified panels.

In the end I came to the conclusion, after building another 6 units for the south side of the house, that the best way is the use of plastic sheets as a cover and to divide the panels in sections with several built in fans. I don't care that it does not look that pretty, but it does work and keeps the house dry and well ventilated and warmer than without. A warm bathroom, where the humidity after a shower is gone through the slightly open window in no time is perfect for me, no matter how it looks outside. Humidity in the whole house reduces from the start in the morning with more than 70 %RH on a sunny day within one hours or two, back to 45% RH which is great. So far in the last 10 years or so I had to replace only once more a heavy duty DC-fan, due to overheating in April... my fault not to cover the panels earlier for the summertime....

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: MY DIY project: solar air heater...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mouse wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:25 pm Interesting project , I guess the dc fan is p owered by the pv panel, so the system is self sustaining excellent.
The PV module is controlling the system. Without sunshine no power, no cold air comes indoors...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I forgot to mention some technical info: the hot air blowing into the rooms is ca 45 degrees hotter than the outside temperature in Dec-Febr., so we are talking about 55 to 60 degrees hot air is blowing in. The airflow of all fans together is app 600 m3 per hour which removes any bad odours in the house...

Max
kansas

Post by kansas »

Like many houses we've had mildew on walls, although not in cupboards, on leather goods too particularly in the early days when the house was still drying out. We have tried many things over the years - got rid of the gas heater in the early days, opened up the house every day, put heaters in the bathrooms. We've installed humidity monitors in every room too. We didn't want a log burner so had a variety of slim wall heaters installed in each room and a couple of oil filled rads. Two years ago we ditched our old aircon units and had Green Air install LG dual inverters. Boy, what a difference! Warmth all round in a matter of moments, particularly when using the winter setting on the ceiling fans to keep the heat from being lost up in the cathedral ceilings. No more mildew, and the best bit? Our bills are so much cheaper.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

kansas wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:37 pm Like many houses we've had mildew on walls, although not in cupboards, on leather goods too particularly in the early days when the house was still drying out. We have tried many things over the years - got rid of the gas heater in the early days, opened up the house every day, put heaters in the bathrooms. We've installed humidity monitors in every room too. We didn't want a log burner so had a variety of slim wall heaters installed in each room and a couple of oil filled rads. Two years ago we ditched our old aircon units and had Green Air install LG dual inverters. Boy, what a difference! Warmth all round in a matter of moments, particularly when using the winter setting on the ceiling fans to keep the heat from being lost up in the cathedral ceilings. No more mildew, and the best bit? Our bills are so much cheaper.
That Green Air installed you LG dual inverter cons was an excellent idea as it is the cheapest way to heat your house when there is no central heating and if you had a PV system installed and produce your own electricity, then even better...
Oil filled rads p.e. are such electricity waster. However my idea with the solar air heater was, to be complete without electricity need and mainly to reduce humidity in houses which are not occupied sometimes. It worked perfect for me as the damp in the cupboards was horrible. Only the noise of the fans can be annoying but one get used to it. Professional units have a built-in silencer and look more neat, but then you pay for it...

Max
jeba

Post by jeba »

Shouldn´t it be possible to use the heating function of an aircon to have warm air circulate in tubes with small holes (similar to irrigation tubes) around the bottom of the walls (especially behind cupboards etc.) to keep the temperature of the walls above dew point and avoid mold that way? Is there a system like this available on the market?
kansas

Post by kansas »

Well done with your project Max, and thanks for your reply. Our oil filled rads do use a lot of electricity but they are so cosy to sit next to, and we've built them into our budget. During the summer months they're small enough to put away in the loft. With the current snap of cold weather we'll be making the most of the LG's!