Why do people poison lay poison ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

Family pet dog died of poisoning last night in Konia area , why do people lay down this stuff ? If it's for rats then put it inside lengths of pipe so domestic animals cannot get to it. Better still don't put it down !
Kili01

Re: Why do people poison lay poison ?

Post by Kili01 »

This is one aspect of living in Cyprus which hasn't changed. I will never understand or condone the mentality of people who do this. So sorry that you have lost your pet.

Dee
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

What a horrible thing to happen, so very sorry for your loss.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sticking poison in pipes doesn't prevent pets from eating it. The rats take the poison out, and the pet finds it and attacks it.

The only way poison would be safe is if it is in a container that the rat cannot remove it from.

Our kittens have deposited over a dozen poison bags on our doorsteps so far. Fortunately they don't like the contents. However, we have taken to giving them Vitamin K supplements. The reason we do this is because the poison being used (by expats in this instance) destroys Vitamin K.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It is part of the Gov's policy to prevent diseases and suppose to be safe for pets but not for rats. The little nylon sacks contain wheat, mixed with seeds of the oleander bush, which are very dangerous when swallowed. They are normally placed in 4" plastic pipes to stay in place and dry. Still in use in Cyprus is Lanate-treated meat in order to kill pets :( and it happened to my German Shepherd dog many many years age, however in Germany!!

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Two reasons, some who have a genuine reason to get rid of rats vermin etc,
and then there are nasty people who want to kill dogs/cats.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I thought that the importation and the use of Lanate in Cyprus had been banned several years ago? It used to be used by farmers to rid their crops of all kinds of pests and some diseases and was very effective as it had a swift 'knockdown' but its effect wore off within a couple of days. So crops could be harvested.
But its sale wasn't properly controlled, evil people also obtained supplies and used it to kill both rodents and sometimes pets.
Dee