Tax Penalty

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Tax Penalty

Post by kansas »

My wife has just received a notification of a tax penalty for late submission of her 2015 return. The original Declaration of Income form stated that it had to be completed and submitted no later than 30 April 2016. We have on file the relevant Tax Receipt and JCC payment slip both dated 31 March 2016, so I cannot understand their reasoning in issuing a penalty notice (especially 5 years later). Has anyone else had such a notice?

I have tried to contact the tax office by phone but nobody picks up the calls. I guess my only recourse might be to write to them but with the current situation I fear my letter might disappear into a Civil Service black hole.

Any advice gratefully received.
darrow

Re: Tax Penalty

Post by darrow »

kansas wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 am My wife has just received a notification of a tax penalty for late submission of her 2015 return. The original Declaration of Income form stated that it had to be completed and submitted no later than 30 April 2016. We have on file the relevant Tax Receipt and JCC payment slip both dated 31 March 2016, so I cannot understand their reasoning in issuing a penalty notice (especially 5 years later). Has anyone else had such a notice?

I have tried to contact the tax office by phone but nobody picks up the calls. I guess my only recourse might be to write to them but with the current situation I fear my letter might disappear into a Civil Service black hole.

Any advice gratefully received.
They are years behind reviewing tax returns. Until they catch up from when it went online. Good luck with getting anywhere! It might be easier to pay up and then appeal!
I have had one from 2015, to be paid by 28th Feb or more penalties. I tried to do online and could not find the payment reference number they refer to. So I mailed head quarters, never got a reply, some kind people on here gave some advice, so I tried again, i could only find an account payment reference. That did"n't work! So I resent the email, got a snotty one back, telling me everything was there on the bank site. So i tried again, no success. I see the bank have a vu!nerable client slot between 8am and 9am so i will take it down there and see if they can do it! I give up! There is a section on the tax portal relating to appeals if you are interested.
wilky

Post by wilky »

We paid one of these and the notes I made from the accountant was go to taxportal system and login with your taxinet details to find codes, amount, fine and penalties just use the numbers for the code not dashes or spaces this amount cannot be paid through JCC but can be paid through your bank. Use the reference number from taxportal select tax payment acc no then bill no 13 digits from taxportal ref code make note of TR no. Good luck
darrow

Post by darrow »

I managed to do it this time. I found out on their help site that the reference number was to the extreme right and i had to swipe it across to see it, which is why it was sending me crackers! Thanks for the he!p.