Aches & pains....in Cyprus?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Aches & pains....in Cyprus?

Post by Chaddy »

My misses insists that her aches and pains are a lot less since we have lived in ( sunny ) Cyprus.She adds that when we ( very occasionally ) visit the UK they go worse.Now, (after fifty odd years married) be it not me to disagree has anyone else experienced this.
CYWALL

Re: Aches & pains....in Cyprus?

Post by CYWALL »

No, but then again, I've never met your wife Chaddy :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Before we moved to Cyprus in 2006 I suffered with bad (painful) knee joints. I was sent to see a consultant at a North Lancashire Hospital.. After having X rays it was decided no operation was needed but I was put on pain killing tablets.
I spoke to the doctor telling him we were moving to Cyprus and he said the dry weather should improve my knee joint problems. And it has... The UK is a cold wet place and this can have an effect on Joints.
Trev..
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

If your wife suffers from arthritis then warm dry conditions are better for her.
The joints are surrounded by fluid which, when cold kind of sets as it were, and makes joints stiff and less mobile
So warmer weather is better for joint pain
My hip is almost a barometer 😢
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As a teenager I broke my jaw. Ever since then my proprioception has been ever so slightly off whack, as my jaw is in ever such a slightly different position than the rest of my body thinks it should be. It took me years of pain before the doctors finally arranged for me to see a physiotherapist who quickly diagnosed the problem and gave me some simple neck exercises to do to alleviate it.

Unfortunately, it does still crop up again from time to time. Indeed, I am sitting here in some discomfort typing this. But dammit! The forum needs me!

Or something.

Anyway, I find that if I start up the neck exercises again, the problem does go away fairly soon. In days, rather than months. But moving to Cyprus has had no affect. This is probably because no matter where I am in the world, my jaw is still in a slightly different place to where the rest of my body thinks it should be.

If you fancy a lockdown read, I highly recommend "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat". This is a very interesting book which deals with a number of issues, including proprioception. It also has possibly the best title.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 am
If you fancy a lockdown read, I highly recommend "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat". This is a very interesting book which deals with a number of issues, including proprioception. It also has possibly the best title.
Link to "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat"

https://www.odysseyeditions.com/EBooks/ ... -for-a-Hat
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Thank you, Dominic; you have added a new word to my vocabulary, "proprioception". Interestingly, it did not exist in the vocabulary of my dictation system although "proprioceptive" did!

Isn't that word a little bit of an ache and pain in itself? :-) :-)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 am As a teenager I broke my jaw. Ever since then my proprioception has been ever so slightly off whack, as my jaw is in ever such a slightly different position than the rest of my body thinks it should be. It took me years of pain before the doctors finally arranged for me to see a physiotherapist who quickly diagnosed the problem and gave me some simple neck exercises to do to alleviate it.

Unfortunately, it does still crop up again from time to time. Indeed, I am sitting here in some discomfort typing this. But dammit! The forum needs me!

Or something.

Anyway, I find that if I start up the neck exercises again, the problem does go away fairly soon. In days, rather than months. But moving to Cyprus has had no affect. This is probably because no matter where I am in the world, my jaw is still in a slightly different place to where the rest of my body thinks it should be.

Just had to goggle 'proprioception '' I would be ******* without google :lol:
kansas

Post by kansas »

A friend of mine who had rheumatoid arthritis in her wrists moved to Cyprus because she felt that the warmer weather would alleviate her pain. She continued to suffer after she arrived in the Paphos area so visited her GP who told her that Cyprus was one of the worst places to live for RA sufferers because of the frequent high humidity. However, it didn't put her off and she continued to live here for another five years before returning to the UK.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Kansas, that is sad news as that is the latest thing I am battling with.. But I must say that the Rheumatologist at the Iasis is treating me very successfully ..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:58 pm Kansas, that is sad news as that is the latest thing I am battling with.. But I must say that the Rheumatologist at the Iasis is treating me very successfully ..
Much less humidity in Polemi too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I find this topic intesting & as we get older many of us are affected by pain but what I find more interesting is Dominics comment

"As a teenager I broke my jaw". Was that through an accident or a fight? I agree that "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" is an interesting read
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:12 am As a teenager I broke my jaw. Ever since then my proprioception has been ever so slightly off whack, as my jaw is in ever such a slightly different position than the rest of my body thinks it should be. It took me years of pain before the doctors finally arranged for me to see a physiotherapist who quickly diagnosed the problem and gave me some simple neck exercises to do to alleviate it.

Or something.

I`m no expert but I find it surprising that even after decades proprioception should still be the reason for your problems. Usually the brain adapts within a few weeks so that a new norm is established. Has malocclusion been ruled out? If not I´d raise that question with an orthodontist.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:53 am

Or something.

I`m no expert but I find it surprising that even after decades proprioception should still be the reason for your problems. Usually the brain adapts within a few weeks so that a new norm is established. Has malocclusion been ruled out? If not I´d raise that question with an orthodontist.
malocclusion ? Im giving up with this forum, I seem to spend half of my life on google :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

It´s describing the fact that upper and lower teeth aren´t properly aligned so that there are shearing forces occurring which may be putting stress on the joint linking upper and lower jaw. Which is not an uncommon reason for discomfort, pain, migraines etc.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm It´s describing the fact that upper and lower teeth aren´t properly aligned so that there are shearing forces occurring which may be putting stress on the joint linking upper and lower jaw. Which is not an uncommon reason for discomfort, pain, migraines etc.
Thank you jeba, I was making a joke about my limited, die Intelligenz :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 pm
jeba wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:38 pm It´s describing the fact that upper and lower teeth aren´t properly aligned so that there are shearing forces occurring which may be putting stress on the joint linking upper and lower jaw. Which is not an uncommon reason for discomfort, pain, migraines etc.
As I´m not a native English speaker and as I learnt that a lot of Latin words have been assimilated into English due to the occupation by the Romans I don´t have a feeling for which of these Latin-derived words are commonly used, or not.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Ach, so. Wass ist deese verde?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:50 am
WHL wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:50 pm
As I´m not a native English speaker and as I learnt that a lot of Latin words have been assimilated into English due to the occupation by the Romans I don´t have a feeling for which of these Latin-derived words are commonly used, or not.
I'm from London, with a thick cockney accent, many would say im not a native English speaker :lol:
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Cockney's have always struggled with the English Language - They invented Rhyming Slang to try and get around it.