MEU 3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Arrowhire

MEU 3

Post by Arrowhire »

Is the meu3 being replaced by another form?
Lofos-Jan

Re: MEU 3

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes you can do it now if you want to exchange your MEU3 for the new MUKW3. You will get a new plastic card and it will be renewable (for photo update etc.) every 10 years. Not compulsory though at the moment and the paper MEU3 is still acceptable. If you want a copy of the new forms to look at, send me your email by pm and I will forward them.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

All the info provided by the Cypriot government in the relevant documents section at the bottom the page on this link.

https://brexit.com.cy/residence.html

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The link Ian has provided continues to reinforce my thought that you do not have change the old MEU paper for a new one .
" Residence documents issued under the directive 2004/38/EC will continue to be valid throughout the transitional period, and these documents may voluntarily be replaced with the new residence document to be issued in the future "
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

It is all voluntary. I, for one will stick with my yellow paper MEU-3 as I do not want to fork out €30.00 every 10 years.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Where did you get that cost for a new MUKW3 from? That seems a lot for a plastic card.
I recently renewed my Cypriot driving license plastic card which was free!

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Here is my reason for not particularly wanting to apply for another 'certificate' with whatever number it may have, or even a plastic card if i don't have to..

I honestly think the Immigration building is a disgrace and is not a fit place for all the people that have to go there, and indeed work there..

If the building was similar to, or better and bigger than the Citizens bureau, it would be a lot better experience for the staff and the customers.
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Agree with you Trev. Several of these offices are no longer fit for purpose due to to the sheer numbers having to visit them. I was told a while back that Social Insurance will relocate but it seems COVID has put the blockers on such things. I do think at some point in the future there may be a legal requirement to exchange the paper MEU3 for the new permanent residence card but until then, the paper one is perfectly valid.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Would it be possible to “upgrade” from an MEU1 to the new style MUKW3?
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:52 pm Would it be possible to “upgrade” from an MEU1 to the new style MUKW3?
If you have completed the 5 years residence, yes. It’s all in the link i shared earlier today.

Ian
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Completely agree with you Trevor, it’s an awful building. Having reached our 5 years in December I was glad to get an MEU3 in 3 weeks flat. The prospect of going to that place again even in 10 years time was enough to motivate me to get in ASAP. It’s so cramped they’ve got the entrance door on the second floor locked and shouting downstairs through the window to the assembled masses to announce whose turn it was to go in. I don’t know what the Immigration offices are like in the other major towns, but this is a dump for those visiting and working there.

Ian
Galini

Post by Galini »

Yes I agree that the Immigration offices are dire but personally I will be going to exchange my paper MEU3 as soon as Covid allows. I feel that it is more convenient to have a small plastic card that it is to carry the paper version around. My MEU3 is already very tatty after carrying it around all the time during lockdowns.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I agree with Trev. Just have this feeling it might cause more problems than it solves.

Jim
daveg

Post by daveg »

I just carry old ID card....don't bother carrying MEU3...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Galini wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:40 am Yes I agree that the Immigration offices are dire but personally I will be going to exchange my paper MEU3 as soon as Covid allows. I feel that it is more convenient to have a small plastic card that it is to carry the paper version around. My MEU3 is already very tatty after carrying it around all the time during lockdowns.
I have always used a colour copy of the MEU3 and prior to that a colour copy of the MEU1 for ID purposes.

No intention of changing to an ID Card while the paper document is deemed to be legal.

Nicosia Immigration Office is far superior to Paphos with regards to organisation and efficiency - only had to visit once and all sorted within minutes a task which could have been done at Paphos but nevertheless a pleasant outing to Nicosia.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree with Gallini.My MEU3 got so tatty looking due to carrying it around, that I keep the original on file now. I am using a good photocopy now. When lockdown is over I'll go for the new MUKW credit card sized version. So much easier and more durable to carry around, especially when I'm traveling by air again.(Whenever that is!)

Trev, as UK have left the EU now. So presumably the transition period that you referred to is now over.
I agree with the remarks about the Paphos Immigration office, it is an awful place to visit and far too small to accommodate the numbers of those who use it, But unfortunately, the various locations this particular Govt Dept have operated from have tended to be very small and dark and drab places. Anyone remember having to wait on an open air fire escape type of staircase in the early morning waiting with the pimps and cabaret artistes for Immigration to open ?
Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

daveg wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:47 pm I just carry old ID card....don't bother carrying MEU3...

So do I or show my driving licence. I forgot to say that when I was in the Citizens Advice the other day l was told that those of us with a Cypriot ID cannot renew them.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sadly 'us' from the UK have not been able to get or renew the credit sized card for a long while :-(
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Jim B,
Yes, I know that, but although my Cyprus ID card expired a while ago, I still find it very useful. The Citizens Advice place even accepted mine for ID purposes when I forgot to take my passport there. I was able to pick up my new driving license. I have also shown it on occasion at the post office. The only thing you can't do is to use it for air travel instead of your passport. But I never did that anyway. I wonder why having issued cards to those of us who applied for one at the right time, they wouldn't let anyone renew theirs.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hi Dee and Trev.
Why I mentioned the ID is because the other day in the Citizens Advice a British couple in the queue were there to renew their ID Cards and I took it for granted that they meant the same type as ours. I looked at my wife's Cypriot Citizen ID card and that has an expiry date so can only think the couple had Cypriot Citizenship.

Jim