MOT

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Uncle D

Re: MOT

Post by Uncle D »

But only on the front. All your steering and braking are on the front tyres so they need to be evenly matched.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I replaced all my tyres Five of em. Jobs a gud en.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Uncle D wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 am But only on the front. All your steering and braking are on the front tyres so they need to be evenly matched.
My understanding from the MOT centre is that the rule definitely applies to the rear tyres as well
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

That me be the most up to date info I was told different by a tyre place but it was some time ago. It seems evident on this thread that even the MOT stations have conflicting views on tyres.
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It also is a fact that sometimes it is who you know, and not what you know. ;-)
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

The Law and the Biennial Vehicle Inspection (MOT)

The vehicle will fail the test and you may commit traffic offences if:

The tyre does not fit snugly on the rim
The rim is dented or distorted
Different tyre size
Different tread pattern on same axle
Cuts greater than 25 mm or greater than 10 % of width, bulges or other damage.
The grooves of the tread pattern are not at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising: the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
The general condition of the tyre of the tyre is poor e.g. perished rubber.
The valve is worn, deformed or broken.

The DOT number

The DOT number is the US Department of Transport number which contains a code for the manufacturer e.g. JJ82, then an internal code for the manufacturers’ use and then the date code. Recent tyres have a 4 figure code the first two are the week of manufacture the second two are the year of manufacture.

The DOT code currently has no bearing in Cyprus law. Nor is there any legislation being proposed that would, for example, make it illegal to drive the vehicle on the road fitted with an old tyre. Nor can the vehicle fail the Bi Annual Vehicle Test (MOT) purely on the date of manufacture of the tyre.

The questions regarding DOT dates was brought about by the importing of secondhand tyres from other countries. The importers asked the Department of Transport if it was legal. The answer was that it is, provided the tyres are safe.

A number of other interested parties, who were not happy with the importers, seem to have started this chain of events and wanted to introduce the DOT date restriction.

The Department of Transport did state however that vehicles being submitted to their offices for Type Approval may be refused if they consider the tyres to be too old. This will effect very few people, those who wish a one off Type Approval.

For further advice on tyres I suggest you look at the manufactures website to check their recommendations regarding the longevity of their tyres.

https://cyprusdriving.net/tyres/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is interesting that it does not mention tyre age, but just the condition of them
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Uncle D wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 am But only on the front. All your steering and braking are on the front tyres so they need to be evenly matched.
Equally important on rear axle for rear wheel or all wheel drive cars. Too big a difference in tread depth can knacker the diff, so if I get an unrepairable puncture on my Quattro I’ve got a painful conversation with Mrs Polemian and Costas has a party😂

Ian
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We don't have spares in two of our cars, just a tube of grunge and an electric pump while the third one has a full spare and a Jack.

Jim
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 pm
Equally important on rear axle for rear wheel or all wheel drive cars. Too big a difference in tread depth can knacker the diff, so if I get an unrepairable puncture on my Quattro I’ve got a painful conversation with Mrs Polemian and Costas has a party😂

Ian
Thanks that's interesting, I didn't know that.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note, I just read of a resident of Paralimini who was fined 150e, by the police for not having an MOT, she was a week over, so best to check when yours needs doing
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

mouse wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:09 am Polemian, glad my car uses smaller cheaper tyres and doesn't have all time 4wd , an expense I can't afford.
Me too with our other car. As they say, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Ian