MOT

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
El tel

MOT

Post by El tel »

My Cyprus MOT is due in May and I am hopeful that I will be out to be able to have it done . In the worst case scenario are you allowed any leeway if you are unable to be here. I am sure I am not the only person in this position. I would add that the car is taxed and insured. Thanks.

Terry
trevnhil

Re: MOT

Post by trevnhil »

All you need to do is when you ARE here phone the MOT place for an appointment. Then don't use the car until you go to that appointment. You can usually get an appointment on the same day that you phone ..
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

Terry

The Cy Gvmnt gave leeway last year on MOTs. Got a text off them delaying my car's test date doe a cupla months or so.

Alan
El tel

Post by El tel »

Thanks for the prompt responses ! I was hoping the government would allow some flexibility if required.

Terry
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Received a text today telling me my MOT is due in one month so it appears no leeway this year.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I took the car for an MOT yesterday and was told the tyres were five years old and should be changed. The tyres are in good condition, no cracks or anything like that; I was just wandering has anyone else been pulled about the age of their vehicles tyres.

Jim
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If it didn't fail the MOT I wouldn't worry too much about it, the tyres on my MiL's car are nine years old, I took it for it's MOT last week and nothing was said, the car only does 9k miles and is like new.
David
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Tyre's shelf life from manufacture is six years, after that speed rating etc. are invalid. Note: deterioration is not always visible e.g. steel braiding inside the tyre.

Date of manufacture is displayed on the side of the tyre. Its usually just the year eg. 2013 (13), if unsure the local tyre company will show you where it is.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

A few years back the same happened to me. The tyres were over 6 years old, and.
I was told to replace them. He pointed to a notice from the Govt on the wall that stated what he said. I replaced them before the next MOT
All things are possible
El tel

Post by El tel »

Mouse , re your comment . If for example you book an mot two weeks ahead are you allowed to drive the car in that period or am I being overly optimistic .

Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

El tel wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:04 pm Mouse , re your comment . If for example you book an mot two weeks ahead are you allowed to drive the car in that period or am I being overly optimistic .

Terry
Booking allows you to drive from your house to the testing station only, on the day.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I agree with WHL, you can only make the one journey to the MOT station at the appointed time .
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Car tyres expiry dates was discussed in this topic in 2017

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2839&p=32104&hilit=car+tyres#p32104
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Costa will check your battery for you free of charge and let you know if it is OK or not
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:26 am If it didn't fail the MOT I wouldn't worry too much about it, the tyres on my MiL's car are nine years old, I took it for it's MOT last week and nothing was said, the car only does 9k miles and is like new.
Rubber deteriorates , peoples lifes are worth more, then buying four tyres.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Thanks I will pass your concerns on to my MiL 😒
David
daveg

Post by daveg »

But it doesn't appear to apply to space saver tyres.....?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ha ha, that is a good point.. They quite often sit there in the boot of the car for years and years..
But I believe that as they are not in use on the car they are not part of the MOT..
Trev..
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I replaced my tyres 6 months before my MOT was due unfortunately I had a flat which was unrepairable and had to have a new tyre fitted, when the car went for its MOT I was told I had to change both front tyres to the same make and tread pattern or get a matching tyre for one of the existing tyres. Never heard of that before but replaced as requested.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

bmwx5 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 am I replaced my tyres 6 months before my MOT was due unfortunately I had a flat which was unrepairable and had to have a new tyre fitted, when the car went for its MOT I was told I had to change both front tyres to the same make and tread pattern or get a matching tyre for one of the existing tyres. Never heard of that before but replaced as requested.
I have come across this rule before.. This post lets people know that if you are having just one tyre replaced it needs to be the same as the one it replaces.
Trev..