Open Message to all forum members

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
geoffreys

Open Message to all forum members

Post by geoffreys »

With regret I have decided to resign from both this forum and the other Paphos forum.
Both have become very confrontational which means I no longer derive any pleasure by
participating.
I would like to thank the forum owners for provision of these forums and wish them all future
success.
Regards
Geoffrey Smith
(Geoff).
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Open Message to all forum members

Post by Dominic »

Sorry you feel that way Geoff. We haven't always seen eye to eye but I have always admired the way that if somebody answers a question you ask, you always remember to thank them for it.

I will leave your account open unless you ask me to delete it.

All the best,

Dominic
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

I too am sorry you feel that way and feel you need to resign for the reason you stated. I will miss your posts, I thought they were thought provoking at times and you were pleasantly grateful when anyone gave you the information you sought.

Please don't leave X :D
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Sorry to hear this Geoff,all the best to you. Lefkes.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

On this forum Geoffrey, I don't agree... I think you've held your corner pretty well. On the other however, every post you make seems like a red rag to a bull.

I would suggest you don't burn all of your bridges 😉

But if you do decide to bite the bullet and go then come back in the future - keep your same name rather than trying to come back under another name as a newbie. It shows you are who you say you are! People will always see through the disguise....

Anyway, how can I keep you updated about WASPI if you leave?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

I am sorry to hear that you are leaving Geoff, & hope that you will reconsider. There is nothing more boring than a debate where everyone agrees with each other, as Photolady said, you more than hold your own with those that disagree with your opinion which adds to the mix of often entertaining discussions.
I for one, ( though often disagree with your views ), shall miss your input...& urge you once again to reconsider your decision.
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I feel sad about your decision, Geoff. Might I respectfully suggest you reconsider, perhaps have a break of a few days or so; keep your powder dry- and return, a refreshed man?
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Whilst I question the need for Geoff to make a public statement about his resignation from the Paphos Forums, I also find it quite amazing that somebody who has only made two posts on this forum feels they have the right to castigate Geoff in the way that they have.
This forum has been a breath of fresh air since the demise of CL and so far has been fairly free of the backbiting trolls. I suspect that the majority of members feel as I do and totally abhor such vicious postings.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

surreyboy wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:21 pm Whilst I question the need for Geoff to make a public statement about his resignation from the Paphos Forums, I also find it quite amazing that somebody who has only made two posts on this forum feels they have the right to castigate Geoff in the way that they have.
This forum has been a breath of fresh air since the demise of CL and so far has been fairly free of the backbiting trolls. I suspect that the majority of members feel as I do and totally abhor such vicious postings.
Well said. I disagreed with Geoff on most things and he is responsible for most flack coming his way, with opinions he knows strikes controversy, but he was polite in his handling of it.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

What a nasty posts from L St D. What a shame Geoffrey that you feel you have to leave because of people like L St Dubois, whoever he or she might be.
Louise :)
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Sorry you are leaving Geoff. Your posts always made for interesting debate! Take care.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Ye Gods, I must admit that I have seen some vicious and nasty posts on the Cyprus forums over the years but the brave - perhaps fearless - keyboard warriors that appear to be sticking their heads above the parapet are becoming more numerous. Whether someone had made ten posts or a hundred posts is immaterial. Opinions are just that ... opinions. And they should be aired with due consideration to others.

Some posters seem to set out to hurt the feelings of others rather than making a case which differs from the point of view of the original post. Other stir the pot to see what reaction they can get from other members of the forum, whilst others seem to inhabit the world of the devil's advocate.

Geoffrey can be an irritating old sod at times, and very kind and helpful at other times. If you don't like his posts then the "friend or foe" setting can be useful. Whatever happened to the idea of "live and let live"?

I suspect many of the keyboard warriors would lack the courage to say what they write if they met face to face. The anonymity of the forums can, it seems, to be a blessing and a curse.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Geoff

Now come on thats a pretty drastic action you are about to take - please dont do it. You are correct in your statement that matters have and will become confrontational at times that is the nature of the beast when people are let loose to air opinions - its called freedom of expression as I am sure you appreciate. I too become most irritated with those who stoop to be unnecessarily personally insulting when they disagree with someone elses opinion. On the other hand I take the view on such occasions they have lost the argument so soon as they descend to using such tactics. That is not arrogance on my part but perception that there is no point in discussing the matter further with those who have closed minds.

Like others I often disagree with your views but nevertheless have always found your posts interesting to read and it will be a very sad day indeed if all I am left to read are posts by people who agree with my personal views or those who have become habitually confrontational as you say - what a boring world.

Come on Geoff you are big enough to rise above such twaddle (no insult intended to those who genuinely disagree with my views - bring it on I'm a big girl - well all of 5 foot 1 inch).

Geoff Stay steadfast in your beliefs and humble enough to admit when you have got it wrong - thats called human. Stay with us please.

Rita
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:47 pm What a nasty posts from L St D. What a shame Geoffrey that you feel you have to leave because of people like L St Dubois, whoever he or she might be.
They are now acquainted with The Pit.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Biddy

Post by Biddy »

Don't go. I don't post often but I enjoy your posts as I did McIngeys before he left CL. It would be boring if everyone agreed.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Geoff

I am amongst your most vociferous critics, but I have my critics,too. Everyone here writes twaddle from time-to-time: so what? Twaddle can even be amusing!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I think Devil has it bang on the nose :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:47 pm What a nasty posts from L St D. What a shame Geoffrey that you feel you have to leave because of people like L St Dubois, whoever he or she might be.
Just to put things in the correct chronological order, Louise, the obnoxious cretin pretentiously calling themself Lorenzo St Dubois stabbed Geoff in the back TWICE as he was walking away... LSD's previous two posts in 6 weeks of membership amounted to little more than junk mail, tbh..

I've PM'd Geoff pleading with him to stay, and carry on as normal. He's one of the members who give meaning to the name Paphos LIFE!!

Hope he gets to read it...

Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

Always look forward to your posts Geoff stay with us pal
garry
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

I don't believe it!!.........