Three nine storey buildings to be built near Aquamare Hotel

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Three nine storey buildings to be built near Aquamare Hotel

Post by galexinda »

An existing Paphos hotel on the seafront of the town is earmarked for demolition with three nine-storey buildings due to take its place, the local green party announced on Monday. Andreas Evlavis said, speaking to the Cyprus Mail on Monday.

He stressed that a wall of concrete will spring up in the wake of the three nine-storey buildings, that will be built in the place of Asimina Suites, as other similar buildings are sure to follow.

https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers ... d=00161161
PhotoLady

Re: Three nine storey buildings to be built near Aquamare Hotel

Post by PhotoLady »

Sad to hear this.
Limassol has turned into a concrete jungle and prices of property, both sales and rentals have skyrocketed putting accommodation out of the budget of most residents and workers.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Very sad to hear this. So, who is intended to live in these high rise buildings? Are they going to be residential or rented to tourists? I've said this before, Limassol and Paphos are very different. Limassol is a working, business oriented town with a multinational work force. It also has a tourism sector.
Paphos is a tourist destination, it is also popular with retirees. There are many small businesses here, but it is much more laid back. I always thought that part of Paphos's charm was its small town and low rise buildings. I feel very sad that the race is starting to build taller buildings here which will block out the view of the sea. If you go to Limassol you can see the effect of huge high rises springing up all along the coast. It is putting some older places in permanent shadow, as well as ruining their veiws of the sea.
Very sad.
To me they look out of place here in Cyprus.
Dee
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I would not class NINE storeys as a high building. It is when the build Thirty-two floors that you can class as High buildings-as per Limassol
All things are possible
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

We will have to wait and see

It would not surprise me if the developers "tweak" the actual construction drawings and build them as one on top of each other and we end up with a 27 storey leviathan
WHL

Post by WHL »

Sea frontage real estate or near the sea, is the most expensive, for a developer to make any profit they have to build upwards, for those moaning and crying out for the quaint Cyprus of yesteryear , im sure you don't want live in a mud brick house with a hole in the back yard for a toilet no running water etc etc, because that is the reality of how Cyprus was, so if you wouldn't live in those conditions, why would others?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The article mentioned that a "concrete wall" will spring up in the wake of 3 new nine-storey buildings that will be built in the place of Asimina suits.

If you look how these buildings look now, THAN you can say it is a concrete wall blocking the view to the sea.

If it is replaced by 3 nine-storey buildings, I am quite sure that there is much more space for garden and views to the sea when they are finished...
The whole complex reminds me how they built in Soviet bloc countries I visited in the late '60s and is in my opinion ugly...

Max
boycott

Post by boycott »

Limassol has a number of high rise buildings and are shown in this link.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/limasso ... tsfigures/
josef k

Post by josef k »

Although people are saying this is in Paphos, the spot in question is actually in Geroskipou, not within Paphos municipality area.
June

Post by June »

Is it not next to "The Deck" ?
josef k

Post by josef k »

No, it's the Asmina Suites, further along between Aquamare and Pioneer.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tanny wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm
Sea frontage real estate or near the sea, is the most expensive, for a developer to make any profit they have to build upwards, for those moaning and crying out for the quaint Cyprus of yesteryear , im sure you don't want live in a mud brick house with a hole in the back yard for a toilet no running water etc etc, because that is the reality of how Cyprus was, so if you wouldn't live in those conditions, why would others?
Frankly yes, the sooner we also get back to simple value the better. the constructions you mention many are still her and of better living quality than a number of new builds.
You ever taken a dump in a hole out the back? That's how it was back in the 60s in village houses, happy days, not.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

WHL Kykko Monastry facilities was a hole in the ground when I visited early 80s 🤨
WHL

Post by WHL »

Yioula wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 am WHL Kykko Monastry facilities was a hole in the ground when I visited early 80s 🤨

Im sure they have installed sit down toilets now, even if it isn't as quaint :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I agree in principle with what Tanny was trying to express. Some of the older buildings in Paphos are of better quality and more comfortable to live in than many of the new builds.
Among the architects who design new builds, they tend to stick to a basic pattern of large cubic shapes with flat roofs and huge plate glass windows that face the sun. Apart from looking identical, they must be very expensive to either cool or heat. Whereas the more traditional Mediterranean style had pitched tiled roofs, smaller windows and shutters with wide shaded terrace. Which are much more comfortable to live in. Flat concrete roofs as I know to my cost are v hot in summer, while in the winter they are prone to leaks, even if you have painted the roof surface with a special waterproofing paint.

Its rubbish to say that because a building is old, it can't be modernised to provide new plumbing and electrics for new kitchens, bathrooms and central heating.

I think what Paphos is trying and needs to do post pandemic, is to concentrate on year round promotion of tourism. This would have the advantage of keeping hotels open in the winter season to accommodate them. Building high rise new hotels offering even more rooms seems wrong when our existing hotels have been struggling, even before the pandemic with attracting visitors year round.

Dee
sued51

Post by sued51 »

Slightly off topic but a new school was built in Paphos in the 90’s with a hole in the ground toilet so pretty sure they do still exist!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I remember when some taverna type restaurants had the hole in the ground toilets.
Smelly they were too.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

sued51 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:29 pm Slightly off topic but a new school was built in Paphos in the 90’s with a hole in the ground toilet so pretty sure they do still exist!
Im not talking about ceramic squat, type toilets, im talking about a plain good old hole, dug in the ground toilet.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In the UK, we used to have something similar in the 'out house' in the back yard, way back when.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:30 am In the UK, we used to have something similar in the 'out house' in the back yard, way back when.

Dee
So would you choose to go back to those quaint times ? don't bother answering, we all know the answer.