Fixed airport taxi fares from March 1

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Fixed airport taxi fares from March 1

Post by Paphos Life »

The transport ministry has set fixed fares for taxis travelling to and from the airports, starting on March 1.The fares include urban and rural taxi services.In a written statement on Friday, Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos called on taxi drivers to implement the newly set fares "as one of the steps taken to improve the taxi transport sector in Cyprus"....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Fixed airport taxi fares from March 1

Post by trevnhil »

As an example the NEW price from Paphos Airport to Peyia is 20 euros.. Does anyone know what the price is at the moment or in the recent past.
20 euros seems quite reasonable to me, especially if there are 4 in the taxi with luggage
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Most people seemed to get quoted 25 euros for that, if memory serves me correctly.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Another example I have just looked at.. Paphos Airport to Polis 45 euros on the new list.
I have just checked a price online from a taxi company and it is showing their price is 60 euros..

The New price list seems very reasonable to me.. But I wonder what the local taxi owners think about it, and indeed will they comply with the new price list..
Trev..
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

My regular taxi driver charged 30 eu from PFO to Konia one time he was unable to meet me due to an accident . I went to use airport taxi rank and they tried to charge 40 eu . I went back in the airport had a beer and called a taxi from town 30 eu...
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

I thought the prices were already fixed LOL

Great bus service for a few Euros into town at the bus stop opposite arrivals
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Hopefully this’ll also be a step closer to an Uber type service.

All of the taxis in Athens can be booked through Uber and they are all the authorised and licences official cabs, they are missing a trick here.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

This sounds a very welcome step in setting sensible taxi fares, but how will the Paphos taxi drivers take this? The ones outside the Airport are akin to the Mafia! Which is why no people who I know who are residents here will use them.

Dee

'Taxi Drivers
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:33 pm Hopefully this’ll also be a step closer to an Uber type service.

All of the taxis in Athens can be booked through Uber and they are all the authorised and licences official cabs, they are missing a trick here.
There is already an uber type of service running in Cyprus, but the name escapes me.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I think it’s only in Nicosia and not islandwide and is more of one the private (fully licensed) companies operating it.
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:47 pm I think it’s only in Nicosia and not islandwide and is more of one the private (fully licensed) companies operating it.
No I downloaded the app just to see, we are in Larnaca and the taxis came up, I took it off , because I didn't ned it, but it works
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Mirek wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm I thought the prices were already fixed LOL

They were fixed years ago and there was a display board at the airport to indicate prices to the various resorts/areas.

The prices were all erased by the taxi drivers who refused to abide by them.

This was quite soon after we came to live in Cyprus in 2004. All of our visitors would come via Paphos and I took a photo of the defaced notice board while we were waiting for a friend to arrive from Manchester.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Photo Lady,
I remember seeing that display board with taxi fares on it, thought at the time that it was a great idea. But alas it didn't work out. I hope that this new initiative will, but have my doubts.It might need a police presence near the taxi pick up point to enforce it!

The saying about the Leopard who couldn't change his spots comes to mind.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

They should use their meters and have government official checking them on a regular basis
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

This has been an on going problem for years, and unfortunately the authorities dont have the balls to take the taxi drivers on, the only thing you can do is what I always do, agree a fare before getting into the taxi, if they dont tell mell what the ride will cost, I dont get in, it is what it is sadly.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:04 am
Mirek wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm I thought the prices were already fixed LOL

They were fixed years ago and there was a display board at the airport to indicate prices to the various resorts/areas.

The prices were all erased by the taxi drivers who refused to abide by them.

This was quite soon after we came to live in Cyprus in 2004. All of our visitors would come via Paphos and I took a photo of the defaced notice board while we were waiting for a friend to arrive from Manchester.
Perhaps I should have put shown the word fixed as "fixed" in my original post and it may have been a bit clearer as to what I was suggesting
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Yep, definitely of the "fixed" variety.
The usual 3 tier price rules apply.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
josef k

Post by josef k »

The airport taxis will just refuse to use these charges and carry on charging whatever they want. To believe otherwise is just plain daft.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Unless there is a police presence by the taxi pick up point...
It is possible to force a reform of the high prices which some Paphos taxi drivers impose.
It has apparently been done in Athens and was done in Hong Kong with the errant taxi drivers there. But it took the police to impose the new reduced taxi fares. A few taxi drivers who got caught overcharging their passengers were summoned to court and were fined and threatened with losing their taxi licenses.

Dee
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:39 pm Unless there is a police presence by the taxi pick up point...
It is possible to force a reform of the high prices which some Paphos taxi drivers impose.
It has apparently been done in Athens and was done in Hong Kong with the errant taxi drivers there. But it took the police to impose the new reduced taxi fares. A few taxi drivers who got caught overcharging their passengers were summoned to court and were fined and threatened with losing their taxi licenses.

Dee
I had to get a taxi from the airport several years ago and was quoted €35 to Mandria, there was a board up with the prices blacked out. There was a policeman stood right next to the taxi rank so I called him over to say they were trying to rip me off, even though there was a sign up saying they had to either use the fixed rates on the board or use there metre.
The policemen just shrugged his shoulders and said it was nothing to do with him!