Account of having the Covid vaccination at Paphos Hospital

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Account of having the Covid vaccination at Paphos Hospital

Post by galexinda »

By an 80 year old Tala Resident

''It really was a doddle. I had taken a walking stick, folding chair, a good book, flask of tea and a sweater, envisaging a long walk from the nearest available parking at the Paphos General Hospital, a long slow moving queue out of doors (as seen on tele in news clips from other countries) and a lengthy wait. I consequently arrived some 25 mins early but in fact I parked easily right by the General Hospital entrance.

There were no signs indicating where to go and no sign of a queue or indeed of much life at all, so I had to ask a couple of people. (Ground floor, main entrance by the coffee shop, , bear into the right hand corridor leg and walk down to the last door on the left. Eventually there was a sign 'Adult Vaccination'). Having found the room, I checked in, was told to sit and wait, and 2 mins later was asked to come in. I was simply asked for my GESY or other medical Card, what medications I was on and if I had any allergies. 7 minutes later I was discharged, having had the jab and a compulsory sit down for some 5 mins after it (in case of violent allergic reaction), clutching a paper giving the injection details and confirming my appointment for the second jab 21 days later.

I was back in the car ready for off 10 mins before my actual appointment time! All very laid back and quietly efficient. I have so far had no significant side effects (touch wood), just a lightly bruised sensation around the injection point for some 36 hours, reminiscent of the aftermath of typhoid injections of yesteryear. The injection given was the Pfizer/Biotech''.

https://talanews.blogspot.com/
galexinda

Re: Account of having the Covid vaccination at Paphos Hospital

Post by galexinda »

When we become eligible our Personal Doctor has advised us to stay at least 30 minutes after the vaccination due to our medical history of allergies.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My mum is having hers right this minute, here in UK.
The wait time afterwards is a minimum of 15 minutes.

I believe it's the Pfizer vaccination but will double check when she gets back.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

I had just had my 1st Covid jab this morning - Oxford vaccine. I must say it was a very efficient process - well done Rutland. Took less than five minutes although they did say if you were driving it would be best to wait 15 minutes after in their waiting room. As usual UK TV & Papers trying to find and present negative issues which totally gives the wrong picture, the NHS should be congratulated, not criticized. Incidentally all care home residents in Rutland have now been given the vaccine, which is very encouraging. The vast majority of care home staff in Rutland have also been given the vaccine....although a few have declined which is a bit worrying.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

My Dad's had both his. Apparently, the doctors in the UK are ignoring the "delay the second jab" nonsense and giving it out ASAP.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
El tel

Post by El tel »

I am 75 next Friday so hopefully as I am moving up to level 3 I might be vaccinated in the near future . Do you receive any kind of documentation when you have had the jab ? As I am intending to come to Cyprus ASAP I assume you will be required to have some kind of proof. Thanks

Terry
harveywinning

Post by harveywinning »

I was given a NHS Covid-19 vaccination record card. Its credit card sized and shows my name, date of birth, name of vaccine, batch number and date vaccine given. The details were hand written by the nurse. There is a space on the card to record the 2nd dose of the vaccine. Not sure if this is the only document that will be issued or if some form of official computer print out will come in due course, time will tell.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Galexinda's account of having his vaccine shot at Paphos General, sounds very similar to mine when going there to get the annual flu jab. They handle these things without any fuss, but quickly and efficiently.

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:02 pm My Dad's had both his. Apparently, the doctors in the UK are ignoring the "delay the second jab" nonsense and giving it out ASAP.
All depends on the health authorities for each area. Some are continuing with the 21 or 28 day wait for the second vaccination while others are contacting those who had a scheduled appointment and cancelling them.

Some people I know in Cornwall have been cancelled and many in various North West UK areas.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

PhotoLady wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm My mum is having hers right this minute, here in UK.
The wait time afterwards is a minimum of 15 minutes.

I believe it's the Pfizer vaccination but will double check when she gets back.
UPDATE: My mum was due her 3 monthly blood test yesterday (Thursday) for her heart flutter and meds check. Her appointment was sent to her by post.
Turned up at the allotted time to be informed there was no record of an appointment but could see she was due one.
Sent home again to await another letter.

Today (Friday) morning, thick with freezing fog my 80yr old mum goes for the Covid vaccination that the clinic phoned her for on Monday to arrange the appointment.

Told she's not on the list.
They've given her another appointment for late next week.

I've sent an email to the Practice Manager making an official complaint and blind copied the Customer Care team at the National Health local authority in Leyland.
El tel

Post by El tel »

Harveywinning , thanks for the feedback. Terry
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Thank you for posting. Not so easy in the UK. My 80 year old mum just received a letter this morning offering her a vaccination TODAY at a location in Bristol that she doesn’t know - an 80 mile round trip drive from her home. Despite her local community centre and health centre doing the vaccinations but who don’t have any stock of the vaccine. The letter said if she didn’t accept, she would have to wait until some was available nearer. She has been unable to make the trip so will have to continue to wait.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:00 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:02 pmMy Dad's had both his. Apparently, the doctors in the UK are ignoring the "delay the second jab" nonsense and giving it out ASAP.

Good to hear; the vaccine manufacturers should not allow political expediency to over-ride the correct application of the vaccine.
The Biontech vaccine is tested and approved for intervals of 3 to 6 weeks.
joplic

Post by joplic »

I am very impressed by the scientific knowledge of some members on this forum
Varky

Post by Varky »

Any reports of allergic reactions to the vaccine? What can we expect should they happen?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:17 am Most centres require you to hang around for 15 mins after being vaccinated to see if there are any adverse reactions. There'll always be the odd one or two of course; but I haven't heard of major allergic reaction issues.
Except 23 patients have died in Norway after receiving theirs:
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n149
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Which vaccine had they had? Did it say?

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:49 pm Which vaccine had they had? Did it say?

Dee
It was the Pfizer vaccine.
There have been 33 deaths closely following a vaccination and Norway have indicated they are reviewing the procedure for the elderly and most frail.

Full Fact report here with information as up to date as possible:
https://fullfact.org/online/norway-vaccine-deaths/
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It was an issue for 33 people.... As for figures coming out of UK, I find it hard to believe anything we're told now.
The very fact they have pushed the second vaccination back to 12 weeks stinks.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

sadie62 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 am PhotoLady
100% with you on your view, and neither me nor my husband want the vaccine.....and I know many on here will find our decision odd, but that's our decision
They walk amongst us :?
David