Do we need a TIN ??

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
dodo

Do we need a TIN ??

Post by dodo »

We bought our home and moved to Cyprus in September, my husband has now retired from the military and will start receiving his pension end of January and hopes to eventually pay the tax here in Cyprus rather than the UK, I will not be working, neither old enough to receive state pension but have our yellow slips.
Do we both need a TIN or just him, both received letters from our UK banks
Confused :?:
Thank you
PW in Polemi

Re: Do we need a TIN ??

Post by PW in Polemi »

As far as I am aware, every resident of Cyprus now has to complete a tax form annually, so yes, you will both have to get a TIN from the Tax Office (both, because everyone is taxed as an individual, not part of a couple). Not sure if you can do this online or by phone, or whether this will have to be one of your essential trips out to a govt dept under reason 4.
The threshold for paying tax here is either €19000 or €19500 - sorry, can't remember which.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

What ever you do, I advise you to seek an accountant for the best way forward re you paying tax in Cyprus.
All things are possible
darrow

Post by darrow »

Its €19500 but even under that you have to declare it. You do have to register to get the TIN, so you can complete online. I am not sure if the government buildings are open during lockdown. They weren't on the last lockdown. You could always visit. We got nowhere and had to employ an accountant.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I think you have to tell the U.K. tax office if you no longer live in the U.K. and there are some new rules re military pensions...not sure what they entail .

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Dodo - PM sent.