Current Cyprus Lockdown -non green energy issues.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Current Cyprus Lockdown -non green energy issues.

Post by Kili01 »

The other similar sounding thread is about renewable energy,

This thread is about the lockdown.
I have been checking the 'in-cyprus' report of the previous 24 hrs of Corona virus statistics almost daily, hoping that the number of cases would start to decline.
But so far there is only a slight reduction.
What is apparent is that there are people out there- in every town, who despite the seriousness of the situation, are being caught by the police checks for not wearing their masks and/ or being out without having used the SMS system.
No wonder the virus continues to spread. Last night 80 people were fined.
15 of them in Paphos. The hospitals have few vacant beds.

I wonder how many of them are actually paying these fines. I also wonder what will happen if these irresponsible people continue to congregate without observing any hygeine measures. We may all suffer if Govt decides to tighten the lock down measures.

Dee
trevnhil

Re: Current Cyprus Lockdown -non green energy issues.

Post by trevnhil »

Being stopped for speeding, and getting a fine is certainly a deterrent.
Lets hope that getting stopped for breaking the Covid rules is as much a deterrent and that the people stopped and fines will learn
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I’m not too sure what you’re expecting but the cases have gone from around 800 down to less than 300 since January 1....to me that’s a little more than “slight improvement”
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

My home island of Guernsey in the Channel Islands set up pretty draconian measures right from the start and everybody goes about their business or pleasure with no masks and only self isolation on arrival into the Island. Other than for returning residents and freight, the port and airport are closed. The fines for disobeying the self isolation start at £1000 ... and when somebody is caught more than once, it goes up to £5000 or more. 😲 Makes most people think twice....
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Aquilla,
I don't know where you get your figures from, but if you read today's report on
In Cyprus, - (in-cyprus phile news.com) you will read that the health service, as far as the hospitals go is about a health service in crisis.
So don't go around claiming that things are improving..

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Things are improving though. New cases are dropping. A week ago about 5% of people tested were positive. Now the figure is more like 2%.

These figures are published daily in all the newspapers. So I fail to see how you could be unaware of them.

The hospitals are in crisis, but that is a more long term affair. New cases could drop to zero and it would still take weeks for the existing hospitilised cases to get cured.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm Aquilla,
I don't know where you get your figures from, but if you read today's report on
In Cyprus, - (in-cyprus phile news.com) you will read that the health service, as far as the hospitals go is about a health service in crisis.
So don't go around claiming that things are improving..

Dee
Use the slider here on the top graph.....

https://g.co/kgs/zKNoZt
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The real problem is that they are running short of beds in the hospitals which are presently taking corona virus patients, also the ICU's and ventilators are also stretched. As you said Dominic, the problem is that corona virus seems to demand long hospital stays for many patients. The problem should ease when all the people in care homes have all been vaccinated as well as people over 70. Although they aren't making any special provision for people over 70 unless they have underlying serious health conditions. ( Yes I know that people over 75 and 80 have priority.)

Incidentally today there was talk about opening Paphos General to cater for more corona virus patients.
Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

It’s not rocket science. The simple maths of positive cases / tests completed has shown a significant fall in the last week or so from around of 5.5 - 6% to just over 2.2% yesterday. The lag between people being tested positive and then, for those those who that need it, requiring hospital beds, means the pressure in the hospital capacity will continue to rise until more capacity is added (which according to reports is being addressed) or people are recovering and being discharged at a quicker rate than new admissions.

Hopefully the % positive rate will continue to fall.

Ian
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

The UK has just published death rate figures for 2020.

Has anybody seen the figures for Cyprus?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No, but I noticed that there were about 90,000 more UK deaths than there should have been. And still people whinge and moan about their bloody liberty.

Honestly, some people are pathetic.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Today's positivity rate was under 2%!

positivity rate: 1.96%