Prescriptions the 4 week rule

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Prescriptions the 4 week rule

Post by Mrblobby »

I never realised you can not pick up your repeat prescription until 4 weeks after your last one .

Yesterday I called in to a pharmacy thinking I could collect my prescription due on Monday and save going out during lockdown . He informed me no I had to come back next week . If you collect your prescription late say 5 weeks the next one is not available until 4 weeks after you collect it .
Kili01

Re: Prescriptions the 4 week rule

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe this depends on the pharmacist? I have't had a problem to date.
But she tells people that they have a week around the date that the prescription is ready for collection. This issue of time is something which I still don't really understand.
Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Just send text and pick it up on Monday
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am I never realised you can not pick up your repeat prescription until 4 weeks after your last one .

Yesterday I called in to a pharmacy thinking I could collect my prescription due on Monday and save going out during lockdown . He informed me no I had to come back next week . If you collect your prescription late say 5 weeks the next one is not available until 4 weeks after you collect it .
I would agree that there is a specific 'window' when you can collect your prescription. A few days before the exact day and a few days after.
But I have never heard of the rule that your following prescription is not available until 4 weeks after your last collection.. I am pretty sure our pharmacist does not do this.. ..
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Mr Blobby is correct.

Jim
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

And if you do not collect it within the "few" days either side then you lose it and have to wait for the next due date.
daveg

Post by daveg »

My pharmacist always issues me with dates for when to pick up the meds...
Printed on A4 ,it shows all the dates for the duration of the 6 months prescription.....
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Mrblobby wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am I never realised you can not pick up your repeat prescription until 4 weeks after your last one .

This is exactly what the pharmacy we used most often, Maria at Tremithousa, told us when we first joined GESY. As I recall one of the reasons she gave was so that the distribution is controlled and people don’t hoard stuff and they can monitor usage pattern more accurately. Make sense to me.

Ian
sued51

Post by sued51 »

I was also told by a phamacist that my prescription was “blocked” until exactly 4 weeks from taking my previous one, I must have (unwittingly) collected my first Gesy prescription for regular meds on the day I needed them rather than a few days early, this isn’t a major issue at the moment but it did make me ask what will happen when we can eventually travel again - I normally go away every couple of months and previously always made sure I had enough meds to last the time I expected to be away - anything up to a month, plus a week or so extra in case of delayed return or emergencies - the pharmacist just shrugged her shoulders, so looks like it might have to be a private prescription to be able to have a back-up stock