Amazon UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Amazon UK

Post by Dominic »

Anybody who says the pound didn't collapse after 2016 is either a blithering idiot or a liar.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If you check some item prices on Amazon de with postage they can be more expensive than buying in Cyprus, and that's a good thing for the local economy, right?
David
boycott

Post by boycott »

jeba wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 am Sadly, as time goes on this will increasingly happen.
Stop remorsemongering 8-)
Jeba, what does that have to do with Amazon UK thread?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

So, if you say an average is around 10yrs the chart says the euro rate sat at about €1,20

But none of us shop using average prices. You compare it based on when you convert your sterling income to EUR.

We can all remember how it was following the brexit vote and it took a severe nose dive from which it appears to be making extremely slow climbs.

Most of us don't remember what the EUR rate was prior to 2008 unless you were a business trading with countries using it.

So the only choice is to look at when we all began to use it on a daily basis which was when Cyprus changed currency at the start of 2008.

I do check the exchange on a daily basis and over the last few weeks it's been flip flopping between €1.11 to €1.13

Still a far cry from where it began that year in the €1.40s to €1.19 by the end of 2016.

It's barely crawling, let alone climbing....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Uncle D wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:19 pm If you check some item prices on Amazon de with postage they can be more expensive than buying in Cyprus, and that's a good thing for the local economy, right?
I did this checking a week or so ago.. I just wanted some fitbit watch, batteries.. They were dearer from Amazon DE than Amazon UK. So of course I used Amazon UK , especially as it was FREE delivery ..

But when the notice came that my order had been despatched, it is from from dEcolectrix in Germany. :-) :-)
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Being based in UK I shop on Amazon UK quite a bit and although I am no longer subscribed to the Prime package I get free offers of it a few times a year for a month so do most shopping then.
My other half has an account and when he gets those offers, we buy through his.

But I do find that unless buying with the Prime next day delivery for products coming from Amazon's own distribution centre, it's becoming increasingly difficult to establish if the item you want to buy are physically being dispatched from within the UK.
Only the expected date of receipt is an indicator. So many small items such as memory cards and other technology stuff is coming from China.

Often the only way to find out is to visit the individual seller account to see if there are any clues. Especially
now tax / duty is likely to be added on if checked.

Hubby ordered an item from eBay the other week. An item of £20+ which was from a seller in USA.
No tracking number provided and the customs declaration stated the cost of the contents to be $0.10c
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:52 am Anybody who says the pound didn't collapse after 2016 is either a blithering idiot or a liar.
I didn’t say that... I took a 12 year average but some posters on.y want to use the highest rate as the average.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In 2000 the exchange rate was 1.67.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

In 2000 the average for the year was 1.32,

Lloyd mentioned the high of 2016, the average for the year was 1.22.

I chose to use 2008 as that was since the “crash”.

If you wan to back to 1999 then the average has been 1.35.

But this still isn’t going to help anyone buying from Amazon UK!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's certainly a seller we wouldn't be looking to purchase from again!
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm But I do find that unless buying with the Prime next day delivery for products coming from Amazon's own distribution centre, it's becoming increasingly difficult to establish if the item you want to buy are physically being dispatched from within the UK.
PhotoLady, you can use Amazon's online chat facility. Paste the product's URL into your message and ask where the item would be posted from. It takes a few minutes for customer services to get you the answer, but they can do it.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 am
The Aquila wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:23 pmIn 2000 the average for the year was 1.32, Lloyd mentioned the high of 2016, the average for the year was 1.22. I chose to use 2008 as that was since the “crash”. If you wan to back to 1999 then the average has been 1.35.

Why try to pull the wool over peoples eyes talking about "averages"? It's not about averages. The simple fact is that within a few months of that disastrous vote outcome in 2016 the pound had slumped from €1.41 to €1.16. That had an immediate impact on ex-pat pensioner income EU-wide.
Please explain to me how Brexit caused the even more disaster slump from 1.67 in 2000?

If anyone moving or doing business projections for any Euro based country against Sterling and budgeted against 1.41 are very naive, of course you have to consider averages.

You seem to think that the worlds problems arose from Brexit and try to manipulate every issue back to it.

It’s happened, it’s not ideal but all the complaining in the world isn’t going to change it. In fact, if the UK wanted to rejoin I doubt if their economy would qualify at the moment.
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

If you want to argue about politics can you not restrict it to the politics section, this thread was about Amazon and was helpful until it was highjacked. Thank you.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

🥱
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
As I posted earlier this has happened with several parcels being cancelled after being returned to vendors who did send refunds.
It appears some are still in denial with the situation.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My wife is into dance and buys alot of costumes and that sort of thing from Ebay, most of which comes from China and it's only very occasionally that she gets any additional charges.

Jim
glowred

Post by glowred »

I placed an order with Amazon UK about 10days ago, it wasn’t despatched from the depot in the U.K. for 5 days but when it was it came via UPS to my door yesterday without any customs notice or handling charges.
The situation isn’t an ideal one but not a lot different from when we arrived pre Cyprus becoming a member of the eu.

Neil
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:52 am
The Aquila wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 pm🥱

Yeah, you're bored with the topic and want to wash your hands of it now you can see the car crash you created.

Jim, I placed an order with Amazon.de this week, and probably paid 40% more overall than I would have with .co.uk, but I will no longer take a risk on ordering anything from the UK.
Kindly tell me what car crash I have created?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Wonder if anyone has ordered from Healthspan post Brexit? Were there extra charges as their orders are sent letter post.

Dee
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Just in case anyone is thinking of ordering anything at all to come via mail from UK to Cyprus - you may want to check out the UK Royal Mail website on a regular basis!

This posted yesterday: as well as Cyprus, it also affects Greece, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Sweden and Vietnam.
Latest Update: 29 January 2021
End date: Ongoing
Incident: Coronavirus

Update: 29 January 2021
Due to lack of available air capacity because of COVID 19, items reverted to a road and ferry network which is slowing traffic. We are seeking new air outlets. Items have been leaving the UK on time, and a large proportion of items are in-country and being passed through the customs and delivery process.

Worth keeping an eye on the RM website at this link:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... t-bulletin