Amazon UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Amazon UK

Post by Mark »

Have ordered several items from Amazon DE, but the delivery costs are much higher than Amazon UK.
Has anyone ordered from the UK since Brexit, and if so, is import duty charged?

Many thanks in advance.
WHL

Re: Amazon UK

Post by WHL »

Mark wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58 am Have ordered several items from Amazon DE, but the delivery costs are much higher than Amazon UK.
Has anyone ordered from the UK since Brexit, and if so, is import duty charged?

Many thanks in advance.
Although you are ordering from Amazon Germany, the goods might be coming in from outside the EU, hence why you might get charged duties.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was told at a post office that you only pay import duty when the item costs over €150.
Paul
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have not found Amazon DE any more expensive than the UK seller, but having ordered three item two from DE and one from the UK none have arrived, many weeks late, but they have at least refunded my postage money, not sure about ordering from Amazon UK as yet, but due to the UK leaving the Euro zone I think duty will be involved from Amazon UK, but at the moment the back log of posting is backing up in the post office, they need far more staff.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Shouldn't shopping on Amazon.co.uk now be VAT free, for people in Cyprus?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

JimX wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:58 pm I have not found Amazon DE any more expensive than the UK seller, but having ordered three item two from DE and one from the UK none have arrived, many weeks late, but they have at least refunded my postage money, not sure about ordering from Amazon UK as yet, but due to the UK leaving the Euro zone I think duty will be involved from Amazon UK, but at the moment the back log of posting is backing up in the post office, they need far more staff.
Can only speak from my experience with DE, I looked at several items around the 30 euro Mark, the postage quoted was over 30 euros, whilst the same products from the Uk was only £7 delivery charge
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm Shouldn't shopping on Amazon.co.uk now be VAT free, for people in Cyprus?
Of course, but you will be paying the VAT at this end, which will probably mean an extra trip to the post office. I have heard that the franchise may be €100 rather than 150 in this country but nothing is sure; theoretically they could charge on one euro, because it is a concession which actually makes it easier for the post office.
JimX

Post by JimX »

VAT is not the problem, it is very late and maybe lost items ordered from both outlets, in these times relying on the awful postage systems here and the lack of mail flying in maybe best to avoid on line buying for now at least.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:39 am VAT is not the problem, it is very late and maybe lost items ordered from both outlets, in these times relying on the awful postage systems here and the lack of mail flying in maybe best to avoid on line buying for now at least.
Dont blame the Cyprus postal service here, for your delays, there's a thing call Covid going around, with only a tiny fraction of normal flights coming over.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have just successfully claimed a refund from Amazon for a package ordered in November and not arrived..
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

After my MIL had ordered costing around €100 from China when it arrived at ACS she had to pay VAT + 6% + a customs handling charge of €16, the package had been opened, I can only guess that the handling charge was for someone to open it, search it and reseal it.
Last edited by Uncle D on Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
darrow

Post by darrow »

I read on the Government customs site only yesterday that any items that were in transit from UK at 31st December 2020 would not be liable for duties when they arrive in Cyprus after 1/1/2021.
ONGOING MOVEMENT OF GOODS FROM UK TO THE REPUBLIC AFTER WITHDRAWAL FROM THE EU AFTER 31/12/2020.
JimX

Post by JimX »

WHL I certainly do blame CYPO they are so slow and having chased an order last week after queuing outside for 30 minutes at the main PO you can see the obvious reasons, piles of parcels and letters laying on the PO floor, they are undermanned of course due to this virus, I understand this problem of course, but as flights are very restricted I would avoid buying on line from Amazon and other outlets. you may have a very long wait.
Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There's a notice from LHUKCY requesting invoices for any packages in transit as customs are charging duty and VAT.

Jim
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We ordered from Natures Best, ordered 13th December, arrived today, delivered to our door. They use ParcelForce to post their items in the UK and a white van man delivered it today. We are still waiting for an Amazon item, ordered on 1st December. Arranged a refund today, as when I tried to reorder it, no shippers were available to deliver to Cyprus (that was what Amazon told me.)
kansas

Post by kansas »

We also ordered off Amazon UK, with expedited delivery, well before the end of the year because even then there were suppliers who were unwilling to ship to Cyprus. Hey ho, it is what it is and no doubt we'll all get used to it in time.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I wanted to place an order with Amazon UK late last year who then said that they don’t deliver that item to Cyprus. I then placed the order with Amazon De who did deliver the item to Cyprus but the deliver period was 10-14 days. When the item was despatched by post I tracked it from the UK to Germany and then on to Cyprus?!

I assume that had this been now then the order wouldn’t be processed?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But to level the playing field a bit, there have always been some Suppliers on Amazon that would not send to Cyprus
Trev..
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

It's always worth looking at Amazon.com (the US site) as some sellers will send here and invariably some goods are a lot cheaper to begin with and no vat at source.
Last month I ordered some small electrical items amounting to $15, the shipping was $15 and an import/duty fee of $5. Items arrived after 10 days in Paphos. The same items on Amazon de would have cost over €35 and took 14 days to get here.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Have ordered a couple of low cost (circa 30 pounds) which have been dispatched by Amazon UK suppliers.

Will post updates on progress