Right To Remain After Transition

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Right To Remain After Transition

Post by WHL »

Its been known for ages, that any UK citizens, who have not bothered to register, will be in trouble after Jan 21, its very easy to see whos legit or not, when they have their passport swiped at the airport.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I know 2 people who have never registered even though they have been here 15 years
David
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

If a UK national has never registered, does not have a passport, has no intention of leaving Cyprus and uses a UK address for banking and driver's licences, etc how do the Cypriot authorities find them?? Just asking - this does not apply to me but I think there may be quite a few.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lucky Lady wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:02 pm If a UK national has never registered, does not have a passport, has no intention of leaving Cyprus and uses a UK address for banking and driver's licences, etc how do the Cypriot authorities find them?? Just asking - this does not apply to me but I think there may be quite a few.
How did they get into Cyprus with out a passport?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Lucky Lady wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:02 pm If a UK national has never registered, does not have a passport, has no intention of leaving Cyprus and uses a UK address for banking and driver's licences, etc how do the Cypriot authorities find them?? Just asking - this does not apply to me but I think there may be quite a few.
Utility bills, car purchase will be enough to prove that they are reident here and therefore illegal. If they do decide to travel by plane from Cyprus they will be certainly caught out. :mrgreen:
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:42 am I know 2 people who have never registered even though they have been here 15 years
I know of Expat painters and decorators, builders, and others who work the Sunday markets, never registered never paid a penny in social contributions/ taxes etc , got a feeling they will be in for a big shock come next year.
josef k

Post by josef k »

It will be quite possible for people to "hide" in Cyprus after 31 December. However, it would only take a car accident or random traffic stop by the police, a need for uninsured health care, or an essential visit to the UK (e.g wedding, funeral) for it all to come tumbling down.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I believe that anyone that tries to 'wing it' and gets caught out, will deserve whatever penalty. None of these changes can in any way be described as a surprise, plus the Government has been advising people of their options for a couple of years now.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

A return to the old pre EU days here may happen in that il legals here can and may be deported by immigration in co ordination with the police. They work closely together in such circumstances. UK citizens have been told repeatedly to apply for the new documents, yet there are probably some people here who hope to continue their present lifestyle working 'on the black'. They probably don't want to leave the island and are content to continue living 'below the radar'. As josef said thats all very well providing some sort of misfortune doesn't strike them.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Diocletian wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:29 pm I believe that anyone that tries to 'wing it' and gets caught out, will deserve whatever penalty. None of these changes can in any way be described as a surprise, plus the Government has been advising people of their options for a couple of years now.
I was shocked to learn how many illegal immigrants there were from the UK when I attended a Brexit meeting hosted by the High Commission. Let's call them what they are.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As far as I am aware a UK licence is Valid for driving in Cyprus until it expires.. Things may change with Brexit.
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Termites Dream wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:44 am I can see many peoples lives will be shattered because they failed to listen to warnings which were well advertised.
I very much doubt it. In the first place, the authorities here will not be bothered to even find those who are not regular with their commitments. Secondly, even if they do find them, what are they going to do? Chuck out people who are contributing to the economy? Not on your Nelly!
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

With the very poor records the immigration dept. kept details of Brits, and presumably other foreigners, the figures quoted for Brits already in Cyprus legally under the old Yellow Slip scheme and deemed to have failed to Register for the new EU 1-3 immigration documents probably doesn't take into account those that have:

1. Returned to the UK permanently
2. Died
3. Women registered under the Yellow Slip and returned having remarried in the UK
etc.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I dont think anyone should underestimate Immigration; I wouldn't be surprised that they use Brexit as excuse to clamp down on the all those Brits working under the radar. There's high unemployment amongst the locals and this is a window of opportunity.they used to deport Briish for not having work Visas before joining the EU and they will not have any compunction in doing the same after the Transition.
On the letter I received from the High Commission it told Permanent Residents to change their licenses, my daughter changed hers last week.

Jim
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We lived in Cyprus for 12yrs and I never changed my UK driving licence. I still had the green paper licence as I never had a plastic one before we left UK in 2004.

My husband was driving on a UK medical licence which when it expired, he had to apply for a Cypriot Blue Peter licence and attend an interview with the head man at the Limassol issuing office.
I asked if I had to change my licence and was informed "no, that it was preferred but it was not the law".

Basically, the understanding we had on that was all based on who stopped you and what licence you showed them as we were fully aware many British living in Cyprus had both a UK and a Cypriot licence.

If you got stopped on the base areas you showed the Cyprus one and if stopped by Cypriot police, give them the UK one..... Apparently, all to do with points and paperwork. It was too much trouble to follow up on a foreign licence so it didn't happen.

How true that is, I have no idea as I was never stopped but it wouldn't surprise me.

I had 2 vehicles registered in my name and the insurances done on production of my British paper licence.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Regarding British driving licenses, we have already been told that they will not be legal for driving on Cyprus roads after 31 Dec 2020. We have also been told to obtain a Cyprus driving license from the Ministry of Transport. Thats for those who haven't already done so.
Otherwise, it is also possible to apply for an international driving license. Those are valid for a year, so would need to be renewed annually.

I wonder if some of the people who are complaining about having to change some documents for living or visiting Cyprus are some of the same ones who were so vociferous about wanting to leave the EU? The ones who believed that nothing would change for Brittons, after Brexit and who called those who opposed Brexit Remoaners for trying to point out that things would CHANGE for Brits wanting to live or travel to EU countries post Brexit.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:18 am We lived in Cyprus for 12yrs and I never changed my UK driving licence. I still had the green paper licence as I never had a plastic one before we left UK in 2004.

My husband was driving on a UK medical licence which when it expired, he had to apply for a Cypriot Blue Peter licence and attend an interview with the head man at the Limassol issuing office.
I asked if I had to change my licence and was informed "no, that it was preferred but it was not the law".

Basically, the understanding we had on that was all based on who stopped you and what licence you showed them as we were fully aware many British living in Cyprus had both a UK and a Cypriot licence.

If you got stopped on the base areas you showed the Cyprus one and if stopped by Cypriot police, give them the UK one..... Apparently, all to do with points and paperwork. It was too much trouble to follow up on a foreign licence so it didn't happen.

How true that is, I have no idea as I was never stopped but it wouldn't surprise me.

I had 2 vehicles registered in my name and the insurances done on production of my British paper licence.
Not correct, I have been stopped by the SBA police several times, for speeding, and have given them my Cyprus licence, fine given and on one occasion points added
Last edited by WHL on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:28 am
Termites Dream wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:44 am I can see many peoples lives will be shattered because they failed to listen to warnings which were well advertised.
I very much doubt it. In the first place, the authorities here will not be bothered to even find those who are not regular with their commitments. Secondly, even if they do find them, what are they going to do? Chuck out people who are contributing to the economy? Not on your Nelly!
The minute their passports are swiped at the Airport, it would be flagged up, and they will be asked to step aside and account for not being registered or for over staying,
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:17 am Meanwhile, there is a Facebook group which seems to comprise the "cake and eat it brigade" who want Brits to be a special case and be excluded from the 90 day rule

http://www.use-the-final-link/news/285319 ... rs-to-sell
A few still say the 90 day rule is scaremongering but it's not, I've been applying for Visas for years for our family who are classed as TCNs and the 90 day rule is strictly applied and we will become TCNs as well.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:12 am As far as I am aware a UK licence is Valid for driving in Cyprus until it expires.. Things may change with Brexit.
Trev we all know how insurance companys operate, God forbid someone who has been living here for years, and has a serious accident, driving on a UK passport, I would bet my house on it, that somewhere in the small print it says something about having to have the correct passport, and they will use this to their own advantage , im not talking about having a small prang in a supermarket carpark, but rather something were injuries have happened, and you might be sued for mega bucks if you are at fault