Speed cameras step nearer as contract signed

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Speed cameras step nearer as contract signed

Post by Paphos Life »

A contract for the design, installation, maintenance and operation of speed cameras worth more than ???34 million was signed on Monday in the presence of Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos and Justice Minister Emily Yiolitis.A total of 90 fixed cameras in 30 locations and 20 mobile cameras will be used....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Speed cameras step nearer as contract signed

Post by Kili01 »

Good news! They are definitely needed, some folks seem to habitually ignore red traffic lights.I'm surprised that there aren't more accidents as a result of running the reds.. But the cameras are needed at almost every set of traffic lights around Paphos to be really effective!
Last time we had traffic lights installed I seem to remember that there weren't enough cameras left by the time they got around to Paphos!

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, some MP's objected to the photos being taken of both front seat passengers, especially if they didn't happen to be their wives... The other and prob main reason given was that the cameras ordered came from a country which drives on the opp side of the roads.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:36 am Yes, some MP's objected to the photos being taken of both front seat passengers, especially if they didn't happen to be their wives... The other and prob main reason given was that the cameras ordered came from a country which drives on the opp side of the roads.

Dee
MPs objected because of privacy laws that are in place, did not allow for people to be photographed
not because they might have their bit on the side in the car,
secondly the urban myth about buying the cameras from a country that drives on the other side of the road,
is straight out of the , i heard it down the Pub, so it must be true, file., cameras are fitted on poles, which can be pointed East, West, South or North.
emgee

Post by emgee »

WHL

They were fitted the wrong side of the road.

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There are strict laws about cameras in public places. This is why the webcam at Paphos Harbour has the lower half blurred slightly. It is nothing to do with MPs not wanting to be filmed with their mistresses. If you put a camera up in a public place that shows people's faces, then people will complain about it and threaten to report you to the EU. I have that T shirt.

And surely if the cameras were fitted on the wrong side of the road, you just rotate both sets 180 degrees?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Emgee, yes you're right! Actually, I wonder what will be said about the new cameras which have been ordered. An article which I read about them claimed that they will be able to tell if people are wearing seat belts, or are on their mobiles. So presumably there must be photographic evidence? This is as well as if they are jumping the red light!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

emgee wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:43 pm WHL

They were fitted the wrong side of the road.

Alan
What has that got to do,
with being bought from a country that drives on the other side of the road?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

WHL, probably because the foreign fitters just fitted them the way that they did in their home country which drives on the right side of the road....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm WHL, probably because the foreign fitters just fitted them the way that they did in their home country which drives on the right side of the road....
I doubt it very much, who ever had the job of fitting them, would of spotted in a millie second, which way the cars, were traveling, as I said, these myths start down the pub.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Were you living in Cyprus then?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:14 pm Were you living in Cyprus then?
Ive been living in Cyprus for thirty five years,
I fail to see what that has do do with a camera being fitted on to a pole?
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I had to read this thread twice to get my head around it - The only logical bit is Dominic's explanation regarding camera implications in public place's - The rest you couldn't make it up - It's like a script from the Keystone Kops
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Many countries do not have such restrictive rules on identification. For example, if I take a stroll down Ledra Street I can see the faces of many pedestrians and if it were to bother me I could even identify them. What is the difference between that and having a camera as an intermediate between the face and myself?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There is still a camera at the Iasis junction and that appears to be on the correct side of the road facing the oncoming traffic. The human rights aspect as I recall was about the cameras photographing the front of the car rather than the back as this broke local human rights laws rather than EU law. That I believe is where the story about them being on the wrong side of the road comes from; they worked fine as I saw several cars flashed when they crept over the stop line.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I remember another story that in the short time that the previous speed cameras were operational, they photographed so many cars jumping the lights that they caused problems to whichever dept that was tasked with sending out the notifications of fines to the affected motorists...
And inevitably it proved difficult to get some drivers to pay their fines.. Also some drivers were irate as they claimed their privacy had been violated....
This is Cyprus.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:48 am Yes, I remember another story that in the short time that the previous speed cameras were operational, they photographed so many cars jumping the lights that they caused problems to whichever dept that was tasked with sending out the notifications of fines to the affected motorists...
And inevitably it proved difficult to get some drivers to pay their fines.. Also some drivers were irate as they claimed their privacy had been violated....
This is Cyprus.
Dee
With respect ,,,,,Do you make this stuff up as you go along?
please add one link to backup your claims.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

WHL wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:33 pm €With respect ,,,,,Do you make this stuff up as you go along?
please add one link to backup your claims.
All this is perfectly true, at least insofar as the reports were published in the press. The papers were full of it and the fact that thousands of fines were not paid. From the organisation point of view, it was a total catastrophe.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

You just love argument, unfortunately, I don't keep back numbers of the Cyprus Mail. This happened some time ago. At the time this saga about the new speed cameras was widely known and talked about.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:06 pm You just love argument, unfortunately, I don't keep back numbers of the Cyprus Mail. This happened some time ago. At the time this saga about the new speed cameras was widely known and talked about.

Dee
Not a question about loving arguments, its a question of being able to back up sweeping claims, often ending with , ''O well this is Cyprus''
sorry but it doesn't wash, if you dont want anyone to pick you up on your comments, then at least provide just one link, to back up your claims, I have searched google and found zilch.