Coronavirus: health minister does not rule out total lockdown (Update 2)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: health minister does not rule out total lockdown (Update 2)

Post by Paphos Life »

Ahead of a meeting with President Anastasiades and the education, labour and finance ministers to discuss the latest coronavirus situation, health minister Constantinos Ioannou on Tuesday warned coronavirus measures will either remain the same or be tightened, while he did not rule out a total lockdown over Christmas and New Year....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Coronavirus: health minister does not rule out total lockdown (Update 2)

Post by Devil »

With the OH currently locked down in hospital I will not say that life is really joyous at the moment (nowt to do with the virus, thank God). We cannot even go to see her or take her food.

Enough of my miseries! In my opinion, the only way to beat this beast before we can vaccinate three quarters of the population is to have a total lockdown, even over the Christmas and New Year holidays. To stop its spread at all costs is essential. Yes! This will be hell for the economy, sheer hell, and it will take us a long time to recover. But needs must be.

I am resigned to there being no coin in my Vasiliopita this year!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Devil, in essence you are right. But I think that any lockdown should be in the areas which now have the highest cases. This is mainly in the Nicosia, Larnaca and Famagusta areas.
Don't forget that Paphos and Limassol have recently had 14 days semi locked down and unable to travel anywhere. Now the cases in this part of Cyprus are much lower..
Why should those of us particularly in little Paphos have to suffer another lock down now? It might be better to have police check points on the motorway leading to Paphos, which would allow us to have some semblance of normality here! Otherwise people from the higher infection areas will come here bringing the virus with them!
Dee

Dee
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Let’s also think back to Easter, the biggest event in our hosts religious calendar. That was a total and strict lockdown which also drove the figures down. I don’t see why Christmas and New Year should be made a special case of.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

President Nicos Anastasiades will convene the cabinet on Wednesday morning apparently to discuss the island’s epidemiological situation and the possibility of additional measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Anastasiades met the government’s scientific advisory team on Tuesday evening in the presence of the ministers of finance, labour, health and education.

The meeting discussed the alarming situation concerning the spread of the virus and recommendations by the experts.

Following that, the president convened a cabinet meeting for Wednesday at 10am, the government spokesman said in a statement.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/12/08/coro ... y-morning/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is not looking very promising.. I hope all those who have Christmas meals booked will still be able to go to them
Trev..
JuraHound

Post by JuraHound »

Lockdowns will not solve the problem . we have had a total lockdown, we have had region lockdown and we have had all the restrictions possible thrown at us and the figures are still rising. All lockdowns do is to slow the issue down but once it is relaxed we are back to square one. The only way to deal with this is open everything up and go back to normality. If this happened back in March we would now be over this crap and back to normal. Wake up everyone and smell the roses.
Varky

Post by Varky »

JuraHound wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:31 pm Lockdowns will not solve the problem . we have had a total lockdown, we have had region lockdown and we have had all the restrictions possible thrown at us and the figures are still rising. All lockdowns do is to slow the issue down but once it is relaxed we are back to square one. The only way to deal with this is open everything up and go back to normality. If this happened back in March we would now be over this crap and back to normal. Wake up everyone and smell the roses.
Yes open everything up and we will all be allowed to attend the funerals of the vast number of people that will have died. Look at the USA to see how they are coping with such a strategy. Jurahound acknowledged that a lockdown did slow things down. So do it and slow things down until a vaccine is is available. Result - less people will have died in the meantime. For me that is some sort of a result.

Numbers are rising because more tests are being carried out than in March. In March there were more cases than reported but because of the fewer tests they were undetected. They were still there though.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

JuraHound

Just a few things that I have observed while going through this Covid Situation

The virus is present in an awful lot of people Young, Old, and generally Healthy people and will cause them minimum problems – However they are very good at passing it on to Young, Old And Healthy people who will become very ill or die.

It appears to do most damage to the elderly- including Death.
It also does a lot of damage to the weak and those with underlying health conditions including Death.
In the early days it was discovered because of a drastic increase in deaths due to respiratory conditions.
The initial knee jerk reaction was to have a Lockdown to prevent transmission until we had more facts.
And this works because the virus can’t jump to the next person if the next person is not around.

Now then by your reckoning Lockdown’s don’t work and if we had opened everything back up in March all would be lovely now Right?

I think there is a certain amount of truth in that because the Strong, Young and Healthy who for some reason are immune would not have noticed any difference – But everyone else would be Dead – But we would be back to normal of course.

Your statement about the figures are still rising is true because more people are being tested – They are bound to rise as more and more people are being found with the virus – Most did not know they had it and it will not effect them in any way – But if they pass it on it could make someone very ill or kill them.

We need total herd immunity to fix this and this can only work properly when everyone is vaccinated so that when the virus jumps to the next person it has no effect and therefore it can jump around from person to person as much as it likes and do no damage.

I cant make my mind up about you or your logic – You are a bit like a virus yourself – You joined on the week the forum started 4 years ago and post nothing – Then you spring into life and come out with one ridiculous statement after another – Were you bored wherever you have been for four years ? - You are either young fit and healthy and could not give a S**T about vulnerable people or you are just a wind up merchant hoping for a Bite.

Most of us on here remember a wind up merchant called Geoffreys – Not related are you ? – Because he used come out with total crap just to antagonise people and eventually he disappeared.

Can hardly wait for your next statement.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

JuraHound wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:31 pm Lockdowns will not solve the problem . we have had a total lockdown, we have had region lockdown and we have had all the restrictions possible thrown at us and the figures are still rising. All lockdowns do is to slow the issue down but once it is relaxed we are back to square one. The only way to deal with this is open everything up and go back to normality. If this happened back in March we would now be over this crap and back to normal. Wake up everyone and smell the roses.
If your idea of opening everything up works, please explain why the virus hasn’t gone from Sweden!?
Sweden Rates
Sweden Rates
A563382A-2F73-46CD-B575-0D8115B517ED.jpeg (101.93 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

3000 deaths in the past 24hours for the USA. The highest recorded in the world so far.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy