Coronavirus: Dramatic appeals to follow protocols amid lockdown fears

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Coronavirus: Dramatic appeals to follow protocols amid lockdown fears

Post by Paphos Life »

Amid a persistently high number of coronavirus cases, the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Keve) issued a dramatic appeal to businesses and employees to comply with health protocols, while the small shopkeepers' association Povek warned that a much feared generalised lockdown may be enforced unless everyone does their bit....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Coronavirus: Dramatic appeals to follow protocols amid lockdown fears

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I have read the article, its on the 'In Cyprus' web site this evening.
I know everyone is getting fed up with wearing a mask and social distancing, but its a question of 'needs must'. As of tonight, there are 416 new cases of Covid virus. This is the highest daily total of new cases that I have seen. But seriously, if some people are breaking the rules, instead of the number of cases of the virus diminishing, they are increasing.
At this rate,instead of hoping for a relaxation in the Covid restrictions we are all hoping for on the 14th Dec, we may be faced with a full lockdown over the Christmas period.

Dee
JuraHound

Post by JuraHound »

It just goes to prove that most people are obeying the rules and the lockdowns and restrictions that have been forced upon us over this past year but it has done nothing to prevent the daily figures of positive cases rising. The only thing it has done is to brake businesses and the Cyprus economy therefore there is no need for a lockdown. Just let everyone go back to normal life.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Of the 416, over 200 were originally identified via the Rapid Testing scheme. It's worth pointing this out as some people were saying that that was pointless. Clearly it wasn't.

The reason for the increase in cases seems is partly because they are doing more tests. However, that won't affect the death rate, which is indeed going up again, albeit among the aged sick.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

JuraHound wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:11 pm It just goes to prove that most people are obeying the rules and the lockdowns and restrictions that have been forced upon us over this past year but it has done nothing to prevent the daily figures of positive cases rising. The only thing it has done is to brake businesses and the Cyprus economy therefore there is no need for a lockdown. Just let everyone go back to normal life.
No it doesn't prove anything of the sort. After we had a full lockdown from April to June, the cases virtually disappeared. It was only after restrictions were relaxed that they went up again.

Ultimately, we can't live in a bubble for eternity, but at the moment, it is all about minimising the impact on the Health Service.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I was out and about for 3 hours or more all around Paphos this morning, calling in to various places. i was amazed at the number of people not wearing masks or wearing them around their necks
Trev..
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:11 pm Of the 416, over 200 were originally identified via the Rapid Testing scheme. It's worth pointing this out as some people were saying that that was pointless. Clearly it wasn't.
The reason for the increase in cases seems is partly because they are doing more tests. However, that won't affect the death rate, which is indeed going up again, albeit among the aged sick.
Correct me if I am wrong but if the number of positive antigen tests are added to the PCR positive tests to give the daily total and then subsequently when those positive antigen tests are given the PCR tests and those testing positive are then recorded on a later day then aren't some of the infections being counted twice.

First as a positive antigen test and then again as a positive PCR test.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Good point , Varky. Having followed the daily break down of new cases, the positive antigen cases each day are always listed separately. So I thought that the main total of new cases was just that, and that the total number of the days pos antigen cases are listed separately, pending those cases having a 2nd test using the PCR testing method.

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Varky wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:07 pm
Dominic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:11 pm Of the 416, over 200 were originally identified via the Rapid Testing scheme. It's worth pointing this out as some people were saying that that was pointless. Clearly it wasn't.
Correct me if I am wrong but if the number of positive antigen tests are added to the PCR positive tests to give the daily total and then subsequently when those positive antigen tests are given the PCR tests and those testing positive are then recorded on a later day then aren't some of the infections being counted twice.

First as a positive antigen test and then again as a positive PCR test.
The antigen test results aren't added to the running total.

For instance, the 416 quoted included 200 from positive antigen tests. However, they weren't included after their antigen tests. These people with positive antigen tests were retested with PCR and of those, 200 were positive.

The 416 figure quoted does not include figures from positive antigen tests that haven't then been retested with PCR.

If you look at the original press release, this line is crucial:

416 new cases of the disease were identified and confirmed by molecular tests (PCR), bringing the total number of cases to 12,867 . The 416 include 200 verifications from rapid tests of the previous days.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thats what I thought. It's the procedure that's been followed with the Rapid antigen tests since day 1 of these tests being introduced. I took this test on the first day that these tests were being carried out in Paphos.
I chatted to the nurse as she wasn't busy who told me that any positive tests found would require re testing with the PCR test.

I've just seen that because of the increasing number of cases and deaths, the current restrictions are now very unlikely to be lifted over Christmas. In fact the public is being asked to report any instances where masks are not being worn. Shops have been told that they must control the number of people inside their premises.

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic,
My posting was based upon the following report in last Thursday's Cyprus Mail which seems to contradict you.

However I accept that more recent reportings may not be based upon this.
<<
Two more people have died of Covid-19, raising the death toll to 54, while the health ministry reported 348 new cases on Thursday.

The 348 new cases represent a new record in terms of the number of positives reported on a given day. However, of the number reported on Thursday, 249 positives relate to PCR-only tests over the last 24 hours, with 99 additional positives from rapid tests carried out in previous days.
>>
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just been to Jumbo's who are not controlling access to shoppers....

Dee