Winter Fuel Allowance

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Firefly

Winter Fuel Allowance

Post by Firefly »

Has anyone received their British allowance yet ?

I have received a letter but no money so far.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
June

Re: Winter Fuel Allowance

Post by June »

Firefly wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:55 pm Has anyone received their British allowance yet ?
I'm the same as you but an elderly friend (Over 80) has received hers.

They're maybe prioritising it that way ?
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

My Hubby got the letter too. No shekles as yet though Jackie.

MB
JimX

Post by JimX »

I thought that heating allowance for ex-pats had long gone no matter at what age, if this is not the case please tell us more.

Maybe this is for UK OAP aged people only, and nothing to do with permanently living here.?
Jim.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I think you will find these people live in the UK, and that is where they are referring to.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

As a matter of interest, what is the winter fuel payment in the UK these days.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We got our €500 Cyprus winter fuel allowance if it's any consolation 😃
David
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Been in my bank days ago.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

merchant_banker wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 am Been in my bank days ago.
Yes ours was in on 17th november. They don't mess about here do they 😃
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

CYWALL

£200.00 for a household, single or married. If married they say £100.00 each, if single £200.00.

If one is over 80 years, then it's £300.00 for a married couple, not sure what happens if you're both over 80, but possibly you may get £400.00 for a couple. As usual in the UK, it's never straight forward.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

Thank you Jackie, we got there in the end. :roll:
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Well,worked in the UK for over 40 years,paid my taxes and national insurance,never took a penny off the state,and they have my fuel allowance stopped...Ah well sounds fair to me.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 pm Well,worked in the UK for over 40 years,paid my taxes and national insurance,never took a penny off the state,and they have my fuel allowance stopped...Ah well sounds fair to me.
Are you resident here or the UK?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:42 pm
Chaddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:49 pm Well,worked in the UK for over 40 years,paid my taxes and national insurance,never took a penny off the state,and they have my fuel allowance stopped...Ah well sounds fair to me.
Here,,,18 years.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The winter fuel allowance in the UK is based on you residing in the UK on a certain week in September, not on any contributions. In the past, if you were in receipt of WFA before living abroad, you still received it.

Although there was an outcry as we were deemed not to need it in Cyprus. We certainly needed it where we lived.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:31 pm
Here,,,18 years.
So why should the UK pick up the tab, for your heating here in Cyprus?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

''Basically, the freedom of movement of people to live, work and receive benefits throughout the EEA (European Economic Area), of which it has to be mentioned that, as UK residents, we have also benefited from in terms of being permitted to work and live in countries which we weren’t previously automatically entitled to do so, has meant that, under EU law, benefits which have been acquired in one member state are equally entitled to receive them if they move to another member state within the EEA, bar a few exceptions to the rule.

Whatever side of the ‘fence’ you stand on with regard to this issue, the fact is that if you do meet the criteria and live in an EEA country, you are probably entitled to receive winter fuel payments. It’s also important to take a wider view that not all pensioners living abroad reside in countries where it’s continually warm and not all of them are well off financially''.
http://www.retirementexpert.co.uk/winte ... broad.html
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Here,,,18 years.
Because of the amount i paid in tax and National Insurance etc into the UKs coffers over my working life and as i said i never drew a penny back of the state.No big deal of course,,but the principal?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:04 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:22 pm

Here,,,18 years.
Because of the amount i paid in tax and National Insurance etc into the UKs coffers over my working life and as i said i never drew a penny back of the state.No big deal of course,,but the principal?
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, if you choose to go and live in another country, its not the responsibilty or should it be for the UK to pick up your heating tab,
WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:32 pm ''Basically, the freedom of movement of people to live, work and receive benefits throughout the EEA (European Economic Area), of which it has to be mentioned that, as UK residents, we have also benefited from in terms of being permitted to work and live in countries which we weren’t previously automatically entitled to do so, has meant that, under EU law, benefits which have been acquired in one member state are equally entitled to receive them if they move to another member state within the EEA, bar a few exceptions to the rule.

Whatever side of the ‘fence’ you stand on with regard to this issue, the fact is that if you do meet the criteria and live in an EEA country, you are probably entitled to receive winter fuel payments. It’s also important to take a wider view that not all pensioners living abroad reside in countries where it’s continually warm and not all of them are well off financially''.
http://www.retirementexpert.co.uk/winte ... broad.html
That's sounds good, if only the UK was in such a union, O wait