Place in the Sun

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
J B

Place in the Sun

Post by J B »

God that he managed to mispronounce all five of the villages he went to.

Still nice to see some of Cyprus again!

:D
J B
JimX

Re: Place in the Sun

Post by JimX »

There must be locals near by he could have asked how it is pronounced, maybe the programs producers fault.I live it one of those villages and to this date I have never heard those pronunciations before. :lol:
Jim.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I agree with Jim. Both the production team and the presenter should be more conscientious about this - simply ask someone how it’s pronounced. I mean how difficult can that be?Tremithowsa! I remember the lady on one of last year’s programmes calling Chloraka ‘Shoklara’. We thought it was so funny - it’s what we now call it.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Enjoyed the programme. However, at the end they made an offer of £120,000 yet he then states that there offer was accepted of £129,000?
All things are possible
J B

Post by J B »

I knew as soon as I saw 'our village' that we were going to be told they were in Tar-Lar :roll: :twisted:

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:22 am Can you correctly pronounce all of the above JB ;)
Well, I'll have you know that I studied Greek level one at Stoke on Trent college (one night per week!!)
Then the following year, we returned and did .... level one again :lol:
The following year, we started level two, but only lasted two weeks before we gave up :oops:

We try to meet with Cypriot friends (as well as Brits) when we visit so try to respect their language and pronunciations. :)
J B
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I was surprised that they only managed to get £2k knocked off the price from a couple who had moved back to Ireland with ill health
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm Pentakomo is a place name which is pronounced quite a bit different to how Brits might expect to pronounce it.
Well, tell us how to pronounce it! I have an idea but I cannot be certain.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

On HIC's coment, some one who had been on one of these programmes told me that even though they viewed some property that was never shown and that filming was done over 2 or 3 days, they were asked to wear the same cloths to make it look as if they just popped from one property to the next. They said that was the worst part as they didn't have a washing machine.
G
ryanaldi

Post by ryanaldi »

If the woman has been coming here for 30 odd years as she said, you would think she would know how to pronounce the village names, especially Kiss-a nerga. However, I have heard people who live here talk of Kay-toe Pathos, or Chlor-akas!
Linda
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

Devil wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm Pentakomo is a place name which is pronounced quite a bit different to how Brits might expect to pronounce it.
My understanding is that the accent is on the ‘a’ so this should be emphasised. The nt pronounced as ‘nd’ and the o’s pronounced as in the word odd.

So it’s PendAkomo

Of course I could be wrong......
Last edited by Beechwood on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Devil wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Is it not about the amount of syllables . . . . And where the third syllable is most prominent.😣

The syllable thing helped me so much with 'saying the word.' Hadjidimosthenous sp?🤣🤣🤣 Yon was a complete and utter brain fry when we first arrived in Paphos. Our family tried and tried hilariously . . . . .until I learned about the third syllable.

Of course, I could be completely wrong but, I would love one of you peeps to prove me wrong. 😁

Maggie B

Who can pronounce Hadjithingemejig proper.

"Hajid eee moss thee noss" said quickly is about right. 😁
Last edited by Maggie B on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Great to see our lovely village of Tremithousa. Property number 2 with fantastic views.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ryanaldi wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:48 pm If the woman has been coming here for 30 odd years as she said, you would think she would know how to pronounce the village names, especially Kiss-a nerga. However, I have heard people who live here talk of Kay-toe Pathos, or Chlor-akas!
Linda
Hi Linda,

It would be helpful if you phonetically wrote how you think they should be pronounced, as well as how you think they shouldn't. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:52 am It might help if you starting by spelling it correctly Maggie, but as you've had a truly exhausting day, you're forgiven :lol:

And thanked of course for the work you do!

Google says it's "Hadjidemosthenous Ltd"

So I would pronounce it:

Hadji demos thenos. But I stand to be corrected ;)
Still reckon my pronunciation is closer than yours Lloyd. 🤔 I think the 'e' in demos and thenos sounds more like an 'ee.'

Yours sounds much more like an English way of saying it. I heard that particular word being spoken by Roulla and Marina at the garden centre I worked at in Timi . . . .many times over the years. 😁

Maggie B
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

From my lessons, I would also pronounce it as described by Lloyd.

There's a description below to shed some light on the matter:

[e] as in “pet”, except that the [e] in “pet” (and other similar English words) is lax, whereas in Greek it is tense. To pronounce a tense [e] pull the edges of your lips to the sides a bit more than when you say “pet”.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

😁😁😁 My lessons were definitely different to yours then PhotoLady.

However, my teacher always said she taught in 'proper ' Greek . . . .And not the Cypriot dialect.

I believe my proper pronunciation only came whilst working with and for Cypriot people during my few years in Paphos. 😁

Maggie B

PS Maybe, my Jock accent didn't help???🤣
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My lessons were from an Athenian teacher. I did night school in UK before we moved to Cyprus.
Then I continued with the same modern Greek curriculum in Cyprus with the same teacher who Nigel (the property guy) was taught by. There were just 3 or 4 students to each class.
She also taught us how to interpret the Cypriot "village" colloquialisms.

My UK Greek teacher quizzed why I wanted to pay for lessons if I was going to live in Cyprus as he said they spoke a totally different dialect and swore blind they did it it on purpose if he was in the same room as them. 🤣
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Been told today that this programme was filmed in 2016 and the people didn't buy the apartment in Kisonagra.
The apartment has just recently been sold for 135.000 euros.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The credits on the programme stated May 2019 ?
WHL

Post by WHL »

In my opinion, most of the people that take part, are only after a free jolly, I would like to know the figures for people who actually buy a property, and those who are out for a free trip?