Place in the Sun

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

Re: Place in the Sun

Post by Chaddy »

Has anyone noticed that the couples who are shown around the properties that they are always holding hands.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I watch a Place in the Sun I think it’s light hearted viewing, a cheap programme for Channel 4 to make, the budgets as a rule especially in Spain fanciful, the brief in hardly ever followed, and they only changed their outfits with Jonnie Irwin, I would imagine it’s filmed over 3 days, I was once told for every minute viewed it’s an hours filming and by the look of the beaches they start filming exceptionally early, but I doubt that many actually buy properties even when an offer is accepted that’s just the first hurdle over .......
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Why when they show a communal swimming pool, they are always empty, hmm.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

PhotoLady wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm My UK Greek teacher quizzed why I wanted to pay for lessons if I was going to live in Cyprus as he said they spoke a totally different dialect and swore blind they did it it on purpose if he was in the same room as them. 🤣
🤣 May God strike me down PhotoLady. Your reply made me laugh so much because it brought back a memory for me from around 2006/7 when I worked with Roulla and Marina in the Garden Centre.

I could tell when they were having a 'good old bitch' about somebody in their own language. Call it ' a hunch🤔😊.' But, when the particular customer left the building (a perfectly nice Greek gentleman from Athens) . . . . . .I interrogated them.

They explained that they had to try and remember their 'school learned' Greek to converse with him because they knew who he was and did not want to appear like 'peasants' to him😲😲 At the time I was gobsmacked by their reaction but subsequently learned what was what.

There is a whole lot more to that memory but . . . . . .it is all stored in a wee 'blog' in ma heed. 😁

Maggie B
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Yep. That's what I was led to believe too. Not nice.

MB
JimX

Post by JimX »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:54 pm Has anyone noticed that the couples who are shown around the properties that they are always holding hands.
Yes as I met two people who featured on this program a few years back they were told it was for camera framing, does look very odd to me... :D
Jim.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

When we were attending Greek classes we found that sometimes some Cypriots would not understand what we were saying. We mentioned it to our Greek teacher who is originally from Grimsby, she at the time had lived here for 25 years and used to be married to a Cypriot. She told us that when she and husband went to Greece the Athenians had trouble understanding her husband but we're in ok with her. Apart from a thick accent I believe a lot of words are very old and may be no longer used by Greeks. I suppose that's what can happen after 2000 odd years since they were in Cyprus
David
kansas

Post by kansas »

Paphos is known as the wild west apparently.

When we stayed in Larnaca a few years ago, the owner of the local taverna, whose mother came from Inea, told us that they laughed at people from the Paphos area as they found them funny. She didn't explain it further......
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The beauty of the Greek language is that there is only one sound for each letter. Vowels are always short so ‘e’ is always ‘eh’ as in ‘pet’, a is always as in ‘cat’. There are 3 ‘i’ sounds and they are always as in ‘hit’. The closest in Greek to a long vowel sound (not so often used) is by putting two vowels together. So to get an ‘ee’ sound is would be a combination of ε and ι - such as in είναι (it is).

if you learn the alphabet and the vowel combinations it is incredibly easy to read. My mum did this and she can now read all of the road signs and food packets - and it really helps to learn new words.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:54 pm Has anyone noticed that the couples who are shown around the properties that they are always holding hands.
Whats wrong with that :?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 am I am led to believe that the ruling classes in Nicosia regard all dwellers west of Limassol as country yokels :lol:
Nearly right HIC, most Nicosians regard the rest of Cypriots as peasants :lol:
but to be fair, im sure this applies to people in most countries around the Globe that live in capital City's.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 am
Nowt wrong with of course but check Jimx post above for the reason.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Uncle D wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:18 am When we were attending Greek classes we found that sometimes some Cypriots would not understand what we were saying. We mentioned it to our Greek teacher who is originally from Grimsby, she at the time had lived here for 25 years and used to be married to a Cypriot. She told us that when she and husband went to Greece the Athenians had trouble understanding her husband but we're in ok with her. Apart from a thick accent I believe a lot of words are very old and may be no longer used by Greeks. I suppose that's what can happen after 2000 odd years since they were in Cyprus
My wife who is Turkic' (not Turkish) told me many Greek Cypriot words are Turkish or similar to those used in her country in Cental Asia. My Son in Laws Great Grandparents although Greek Cypriots speak a Turkish Greek patois as they originally come from a mixed village on the Green Line, the younger members of the family find it difficult to understand them.
My wife also spends several hours a week improving her Cypriot Greek by chatting on line with a fluent speaker who happens to be Ukrainian.
It's a strange world.

Jim
JimX

Post by JimX »

It is very unnatural and false, they were told to hold hands, nothing to do with lovey dovey...how many of us old married types hold hands?
Jim.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Not to mention being rather hot and sticky in the heat of Cyprus.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:09 pm

It is very unnatural and false, they were told to hold hands, nothing to do with lovey dovey...how many of us old married types hold hands?
Me and the other half always hold hands, especially when we are abroad.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps Dominic could do a poll on whether or not couples who have been married for more than a certain number of years still hold hands?
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I myself hold hands with the wife....when out shopping to stop her going in every shop she passes
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My parents were married for almost 60 years before my dad passed away in 2016, a little before his 81st birthday.
They always held hands when they were out together.

And just to prove a point, this photo shows my parents walking along in front of me here in the old town of Limassol, probably their last trip they got to take to Cyprus before my Dad became not strong enough to travel anymore - February 2013 in their 55th year of marriage:

Lots of elderly, long married couples in our village also hold hands as do almost all of our friends.

Me and my hubby have been married for 21yrs but have been together for 30yrs. We're still holding hands when we're out together.

It's certainly not an unusual thing....
Last edited by PhotoLady on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Point is in that program it is not natural they are told to hold hands while filming, nothing to do with love and devotion, We have been married for 53 years and would never hold hands.
Jim.