Latest COVID Announcement - Paphos travel ban lifted.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Latest COVID Announcement - Paphos travel ban lifted.

Post by Dominic »

The government announced its latest measures today. Paphos travel ban lifted and more...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Re: Latest COVID Announcement - Paphos travel ban lifted.

Post by galexinda »

No idea why it has been deleted as it was an official informative post.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was, but the detailed version of it appears in the link. The version in the link will also get updated when the usual clarifications come along. If we have multiple versions floating around it gets more confusing, especially when the clarifications are announced.

However, the speech is not there. So I am happy to include them here:

In the last two weeks we have been in an awkward position to take restrictive measures to stop the spread of the virus throughout Cyprus, especially in the Limassol and Paphos Provinces where the epidemiological burden has been increased.

The image we have before us, allows us to proceed to some differences without deviating at all from the strategic goal of curbing the virus and preserving the Health System.

Unlike almost all European countries, Cyprus did not proceed to a second total lockdown, precisely because, despite the epidemiological burden, we believe that at present we can reserve this last measure, if necessary.

I do not want to beautify the image. The Health System has been under pressure lately. The patients we are treating today are the positive cases of coronavirus that we had 10 days ago and showed deterioration. During the month of November, 26 patients were admitted to the Intensive Care Units, while 22 of our fellow human beings lost their lives due to the disease. Almost half of the deaths (48 in total) since the beginning of the pandemic were recorded in November. A negative element that forces us to look for ways to stop new outbreaks.

The measures are evaluated daily, while at the same time the situation in the reference hospital and the other hospitals is closely monitored and mainly the admissions in the Intensive Care Units. Currently the situation is manageable, however the conditions of the pandemic are volatile and the data can be turned upside down at any time, as we see happening in many other countries. I want to be honest with you: If the situation worsens, we will have no choice but to take tougher measures, if this is deemed to be the right decision.

The measures taken two weeks ago, but also those decided today, were based on socio-psychological factors. I recognize that fatigue has occurred and that the uncertainty caused by the pandemic disrupts the daily lives of all of us and affects us psychologically. I also acknowledge that due to fatigue, compliance with the measures becomes even more difficult. But as a Government we have a duty to put the protection of Public Health at the center of our decisions. Such a great mobilization is impossible without mistakes and omissions, for which I apologize to the citizens for the suffering of the last days. Our concern is to shield the Health System, so that it can meet the needs of our patients.

We have said many times that this effort requires great endurance. The alarm will only sound when there is vaccination coverage for a large portion of the population. The news from the scientific community fills us with optimism that the vaccine will be ready faster than expected. As you know, Cyprus has taken care in time to ensure sufficient quantities. These days, the vaccination program that we will implement in Cyprus is being formed, in order to give priority to our fellow human beings who are vulnerable, that is, to our chronic patients, our elderly, our parents, our grandparents, the health professionals.

I extend a warm appeal to you. I ask for your understanding and help. This year's festivities will be unprecedented and we may be deprived of loved ones and things. But we need to stay focused on the great effort to save our health. To protect the Health System to withstand those who need it. Let us give this Christmas to the people we love, to all those we have to support and protect.

Thank you very much and I am at your disposal.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you for the explanation Dominic - as always there are many mini announcements and updates within a few hours of the original so appreciate you want to keep everything clear and concise and in one place.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Thank you for understanding. Had I been more on the ball I would have just edited your post with a note to say why. But it all happened close to tea time and I was hungry. :)
Jb1960

Post by Jb1960 »

The restaurant opening times do seem very illogical. I cannot see many restaurants opening at 5 or 6 o'clock when they have to close by 7 pm. It might work for the few restaurants opening on a lunchtime on Saturday and Sunday (and possibly Friday) but it will not encourage anyone to open for this short period of time.

Sweden tried the herd immunity route and leaving things open, but that seems to have backfired on them as they now have one of the worst infection rates going. The restrictions are apparently being been relaxed further between the 14th December and 6th January with the curfew being extended to 10.30 pm and later still at Christmas and New Year

https://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/new ... islandwide

However as over 300 cases are now being reported, I can see a stricter lockdown beg enforced in due course rather than been relaxed further. I for one, minimise trips to Paphos to avoid this risk of infection. As my Mums partner recently succumb to COVID in the UK, I am aware of the dangers. I know he was in his 80's and had COPD it does not make it any easier.

Jason
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Regarding the higher results, you have to look at the number tested as well.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Many restaurants and bars have already changed times for meals and various special events to earlier in the day to accommodate the new earlier closing times which are based on the curfew starting at 2100. I feel sorry for all those who work until 1900 -1920 hrs (or later) as part of their normal working day eg in shops as they can only look forward to a home delivery.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Who knows, perhaps the shops will start closing sooner to accoumodate?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And those that do so may even do away with the 2 hr dinner / siesta break..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that maybe the Minister's intention to relax the various rules over Christmas/ NewYear/ Epiphany from the middle of December to 7th Jan, is a step too far. I suspect the virus will get away again and will undo the sacrifices which the population have been going through.
Surely to relax the measures for say 4 days over Christmas, forget the New Year with a ridiculous curfew at 2am, and allow 2 or 3 days for Epiphany., would allow some leeway for people to celebrate without giving such a high element of risk to reversing all the good which may come from the all island lockdown we are all going to be subject to from 1st Dec.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good post that I would basically agree with Dee..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:32 pm And those that do so may even do away with the 2 hr dinner / siesta break..
Yes, basically, needs must and all that. It isn't as if they will be losing trade either. People will still need to go to the shops, and will still want to eat.