Farmers' union rails against overuse of pesticides

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Farmers' union rails against overuse of pesticides

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus farmers' union (Panagrotikos) on Thursday condemned the unregulated use of pesticides found in local fruits and vegetables.In a written statement, the union asked for the exemplary punishment of the "unscrupulous farmers" who failed to comply with all the rules of protection and hygiene regarding the use of pesticides....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Farmers' union rails against overuse of pesticides

Post by Devil »

It is interesting that it is the farmers who are objecting to the overuse of pesticides which are, of course, used only by farmers. From this one assumes that there is good and there is bad amongst the ranks. The problem is that when a housewife buys veggie she has not got a clue as to whether they are saturated in pesticides. I have noticed in a number of sectors that many Cypriots consider that if a product is good in normal quantities it must be very much better if you double, triple or quadruple the quantities on the label.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Surely, if complaints have already been made to the Ministry of Agriculture they should be investigating this, as well as testing as much of the produce as possible and before it reaches the supermarkets and fruitaria? Is it unusual for a Union to make this so public?

So how can the consumer decide what will be safe to eat?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:43 pm It is interesting that it is the farmers who are objecting to the overuse of pesticides which are, of course, used only by farmers. From this one assumes that there is good and there is bad amongst the ranks. The problem is that when a housewife buys veggie she has not got a clue as to whether they are saturated in pesticides. I have noticed in a number of sectors that many Cypriots consider that if a product is good in normal quantities it must be very much better if you double, triple or quadruple the quantities on the label.
That's like a young man trying out aftershave for the first time.

"If a tiny amount makes me smell nice, then triple that amount will make me smell fantastic!"
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

The overuse not only of pesticides, but also hormones, antibiotics etc is unchanged since decades here in Cyprus. So, as more healthy you try to eat with local produced vegetables or fruits, as more you have the chance to absorb things which are not good for your body. What I suggest is to avoid huge amounts from one single food and instead to have a mix of different fruits/veggies/animal products. There was an interesting comment on CM's article which I could only confirm: "many farmers are just plain ignorant, believing that a good overdose of poision will benefit the crop and their pockets. Most of them cannot read, even Greek and often the instructions are in another language.
Education is the answer and education of the consumer as to how to wash Cyprus Vegetables and Fruit as a result of the overdoses of pesticides etc used by the Growers."

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:04 am The overuse not only of pesticides, but also hormones, antibiotics etc is unchanged since decades here in Cyprus. So, as more healthy you try to eat with local produced vegetables or fruits, as more you have the chance to absorb things which are not good for your body. What I suggest is to avoid huge amounts from one single food and instead to have a mix of different fruits/veggies/animal products. There was an interesting comment on CM's article which I could only confirm: "many farmers are just plain ignorant, believing that a good overdose of poision will benefit the crop and their pockets. Most of them cannot read, even Greek and often the instructions are in another language.
Education is the answer and education of the consumer as to how to wash Cyprus Vegetables and Fruit as a result of the overdoses of pesticides etc used by the Growers."

Max
Sorry but your post doesn't any make sense, you say farmers drench their produce with pesticides, you then say don't just eat huge amounts of one food but eat a mix of foods, so if farmers are drenching everything, how does your suggestion make sense ?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

The use of pesticides and antibiotics needs to be policed as does all Health and Safety issues in Cyprus. I have no adult experience of farming but my dad was a farmer. When he sprayed his crops masks were mandatory. Also roll cages on tractors. In Cyprus I have seen farmers spraying without masks and most tractors do not have a cab. If the authorities can police coronavirus violations so well, surely they can police all health and safety issues.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I wonder what chemicals are actually used on even the so-called organic food in the shops. Is there any control on it by an authority? I personally have my doubts when I see the massive quantities of "organic" veggies in Lidl and elsewhere, especially when they look exactly the same as the ordinary ones!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:43 am
cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:04 am The overuse not only of pesticides, but also hormones, antibiotics etc is unchanged since decades here in Cyprus. So, as more healthy you try to eat with local produced vegetables or fruits, as more you have the chance to absorb things which are not good for your body. What I suggest is to avoid huge amounts from one single food and instead to have a mix of different fruits/veggies/animal products. There was an interesting comment on CM's article which I could only confirm: "many farmers are just plain ignorant, believing that a good overdose of poision will benefit the crop and their pockets. Most of them cannot read, even Greek and often the instructions are in another language.

Max
Sorry but your post doesn't any make sense, you say farmers drench their produce with pesticides, you then say don't just eat huge amounts of one food but eat a mix of foods, so if farmers are drenching everything, how does your suggestion make sense ?
I never said in my post that ALL farmers using pesticides etc. Different veggies and other products are normally not from the same farmer and perhaps not contaminated, which explains that a mix of foods could be more safe. If you eat one slice of melon, treated with pesticide, your body can perhaps cope with it, but if you eat 1/2 of this melon perhaps not.
I wonder if you was farming here in Cyprus in the past, I was..... and sold my organic produced oranges to hotels, 25 years ago....so I know a little bit what is going on here.

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:28 am
WHL wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:43 am

Max
I never said in my post that ALL farmers using pesticides etc. Different veggies and other products are normally not from the same farmer and perhaps not contaminated, which explains that a mix of foods could be more safe. If you eat one slice of melon, treated with pesticide, your body can perhaps cope with it, but if you eat 1/2 of this melon perhaps not.
I wonder if you was farming here in Cyprus in the past, I was..... and sold my organic produced oranges to hotels, 25 years ago....so I know a little bit what is going on here.

Max
With respect Max it still doesn't make sense, how does anybody know when buying a water melon, be it from a supermarket, frutaria or from the side of the road, what has been sprayed on it, you say eat only one slice of a water melon, not all of it, so you eat one slice of melon, some grapes, some salad?,it mounts up does it not?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Bottom line is you have to eat. Max is saying, mix it up a bit. This is also advice nutritionists give for eating veg in general. For instance, you shouldn't just use spinach in smoothies, or just kale. You need to mix it up.

In the case of pesticides, and rogue farmers, by following Max's advice you are basically just spreading the risk. Not putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.
WHL

Post by WHL »

[quote=Dominic post_id=127172 time=1606470801 user_id=157]
Bottom line is you have to eat. Max is saying, mix it up a bit. This is also advice nutritionists give for eating veg in general. For instance, you shouldn't just use spinach in smoothies, or just kale. You need to mix it up.

In the case of pesticides, and rogue farmers, by following Max's advice you are basically just spreading the risk. Not putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.
[/quote

I get were Max is coming from, im just pointing out that the pesticides could be on any fruit and veg we eat, but hopefully the rogue farmers are less then the kosher ones
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mouse wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:04 pm Max , you said some farmers cannot read ! So is not uncommon for older Cypriots not to read Greek or Cypriot? Never given it a thought ! Re deciding what to buy , hard choice, if you go to paps Chloraka I believe the Cyprus fruit and veg are sourced locally, so are they ok ? Or not ! It's a problem.
Regarding older Cypriot cannot read: I just realized that when I gave a farmer something I bought at Lidl and showed him the Greek text on the package which he could not understand... :roll: but we have often conversation in Greek and I tell him often to use a mask when spraying poison and also question that, as I am very concerned about all the chemicals he's using...and selling his crop to small markets very soon after.

I don't know how the quality of fruit and veggies at Pap's Chloraka is now, but remember when I went there 1 year ago or so it looked terrible...
If it is more safe at Lidl where I buy most of my things I don't know, but perhaps they control more (as a German company) from where they buy. Certainly from larger producers which supposed to be more Gov.controlled than the small local farmer products. I also buy at Lidl their bio stuff and the taste of bananas or dark chocolate for example is very different from the normal ones.

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I guess it highlights the importance of washing your produce.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I usually wash my fruit and veggies after buying them, and before putting them away.
Max, at least the days when farmers used Lanate indiscriminately on their crops should be a thing of the past. That's unless it is smuggled in from the north..

But unfortunately, there are still a lot of potentially poisonous chemicals out there, so really the best advice to consumers is to wash fruit and veg first before cooking or eating them.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:30 am Yes, I usually wash my fruit and veggies after buying them, and before putting them away.

But unfortunately, there are still a lot of potentially poisonous chemicals out there, so really the best advice to consumers is to wash fruit and veg first before cooking or eating them.

Dee
It won't help if you wash fruits like lemons/oranges/mandarines when these trees are sprayed unprofessional with systemic insecticides, to fight citrus leaf miner (Phyllocnistis citrella) as the poison will be inside the fruit. So if you produce a lot of homemade juice there is a good chance that it is not that healthy :roll:

Max