Driving licence medical.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
darrow

Driving licence medical.

Post by darrow »

Since GESY announced there would be heavy penalties for any GESY registered GP giving out medicals for driving licences, does anyone know of a private Dr who will do it? We went to Dr Mala last year, but I can't get a reply. She is registered GESY, but I believe she still has her private practice. Anyone know any others?
TIA.
Tuppence

Re: Driving licence medical.

Post by Tuppence »

I’m interested in this too as my renewal is next month. Before GESY I always used Dr Mala.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was only for professional driving licence renewals that you couldn’t use Gesy but I can’t find it now!
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

I have emailed Gesy to find out about this & have been given a reference number. I will post the reply.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I am sure most GPs still do this but maybe they will only do it private and not under GESY
David
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Just like the UK.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

The following is the reply I got from Gesy about medical certificates for over 70s driving licence renewal:

We would like to inform you that the Health Insurance Organization (ΗΙΟ) informs the healthcare providers and the beneficiaries of the GHS system that, the services from doctors or other providers who are affiliated with the GHS concerning the issuance of health certificates that do not concern the provision of health care services that are needed due to medical reasons (i.e. health reports for athletes, professional health certificates for the purposes of concluding an insurance contract, etc.) are NOT covered from the GHS system. Specifically, the GHS does not cover the preparation of reports / health certificates or clinical laboratory tests and imaging tests for the purpose of issuing health certificates. Therefore, these services should be performed outside the System and the provider can charge for that reason the person who requests the card / certificate.

I sent another email asking if there was a list of doctors NOT in Gesy & got the following reply:

We would like to inform you that the GHS Contact Centre is responsible for informing the public only for the providers that are participating in the GHS.

So go find your own doctor & for the right fee they'll sign your form! I do sometimes wonder if many older Cypriots have ever had an eye test.

Dr Mala though always gave you a reasonable check-up at a reasonable price & if my own PD won't do it as a private patient perhaps she still will.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have Dr Mala as our GP and are Very satisfied.. We used her before Gesy and paid the fee. If possible I will do the same for my next medical for a licence ..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

Our GP Darrow did a driving licence medical (if you could call it that) it was sufficient to get my DL renewed with no problems, the GESY GP at the Evangelismos would not though do this for me, so I changed GPs, it was easy enough to do, there was no charge for the Medical certificate..

Lloyd, some GPs do under GESY some do not, ours did...
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:37 am Our GP Darrow did a driving licence medical (if you could call it that) it was sufficient to get my DL renewed with no problems, the GESY GP at the Evangelismos would not though do this for me, so I changed GPs, it was easy enough to do, there was no charge for the Medical certificate..

According to the info above GPs under Gesy, are not allowed to do tests for driving
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The answer to this is ask around, starting with your GP. If necessary I would pay in order to get it done. Though my GP signed my papers a few months ago for my driving test renewal.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 am
WHL wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:47 am
JimX wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:37 am Our GP Darrow did a driving licence medical (if you could call it that) it was sufficient to get my DL renewed with no problems, the GESY GP at the Evangelismos would not though do this for me, so I changed GPs, it was easy enough to do, there was no charge for the Medical certificate..

According to the info above GPs under Gesy, are not allowed to do tests for driving
No, what it says is that gesy will not pay for the form to be signed so your gp will charge you. The transport department don't know if the form is signed by a gesy or non gesy doctor
I meant to say, Free test by Gesy GP