Internet/ mobile phone recommendations or advice

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
dodo

Internet/ mobile phone recommendations or advice

Post by dodo »

Moving into our own place next week and decided to buy a zoomtak box( maybe buy another for bedroom at some point) as seems to do the bis in the apartment we presently in, however their internet provider is cosmos and we do get quite alot of buffering and sometimes wont even show the program! Only need about 10 mbg but unsure wether to go with Cyta, Primtel or Epic or any other one that's about, also advice changing over from UK mobile number to Cypriot number wether contract or pay as you go but do need to ring the UK regularly, will be living in universal. Any advice or recommendations much appreciated 🙂
WHL

Re: Internet/ mobile phone recommendations or advice

Post by WHL »

Cyta, service second to none
J B

Post by J B »

dodo wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 pm ............. also advice changing over from UK mobile number to Cypriot number wether contract or pay as you go but do need to ring the UK regularly,
Who is your UK phone contract with and what is your phone?
Many UK phones are locked to the network and the best way to unlock is to ask your UK provider to unlock it whilst you are still in contract with them ... then you can put a CY sim into your unlocked phone
Maybe convert your UK contract to PAYG and stick the sim in an old phone then you can use it if you go back to the UK.
We don't yet know what the charges for using a UK phone in CY post Brexit, but it *may* be a cheaper option to keep that for calling the UK.
We are with the Three network and the currently don't charge a supplement for use in CY under their 'feel at home' promise.
J B
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

May depend on where you are living, dodo. We have lived in Kamares and Tremithousa. In both places, our Cyta internet was very poor. Cyta said it's because we were too far away from one of their street cabinets. We had no choice. Had to go for WiFi and are with Fusion. Get 15mgb consistently.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I would suggest you ask your new neighbours what they use and if they're happy with the provider. It really depends on your properties location.
I have a Cyta Contract phone but being honest a pay as you go would be much more economical unless using it for business.

Jim
Galini

Post by Galini »

I too would always recommend Cyta. Yes, they are not the cheapest around but the service you get and the speed of response if you have a problem, makes it well worth the money
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

A few of my friends are in universal and all use Cyta which they inform me is now on Fibre in that area so well above the average speed of copper.They use an android box with Kodi and do not suffer from buffering etc. As to your mobile depends what you want it for just calls IP apps or more....
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

CYTA 23 years
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Does CYTA still require a landline, not suitable for a lot of people, or can they do Wifi.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Also over 20 years with CYTA, have no problems in Kamares.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Aargent wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 am Does CYTA still require a landline, not suitable for a lot of people, or can they do Wifi.
I got rid of the house phone with them last year as we use mobiles, but we have internet, hope that answers your question
WHL

Post by WHL »

I cant praise cyta enough for their service, when ever Ive had a problem, their people have gone out of their way to sort it out, they take as much time as needed to talk you through, especially a tech thicko like me, then they have even called me back later in the day to make sure all was well, I dont know who trains these people, but they do an excellent job
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

We use Ecotech and certainly in our area are very good, I don't need to say that they are very good when we have problems as in 3 years we haven't had any.
We only have One router and that serves our bedroom also, like you we use the Tirotech zoomtak system.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

WHL wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:28 am
Aargent wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:31 am Does CYTA still require a landline, not suitable for a lot of people, or can they do Wifi.
I got rid of the house phone with them last year as we use mobiles, but we have internet, hope that answers your question
Actually it doesn't, is your router still connected to a landline ?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
WHL

Post by WHL »

Aargent wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 am
WHL wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:28 am
Actually it doesn't, is your router still connected to a landline ?
I guess it is
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Link to CYTA internet home products:
https://www.cyta.com.cy/internet-home-products/en

Worth asking if the connection fee is going to be waived in December - CYTA occasionally has this on offer, so a few days may make a saving.
dodo

Post by dodo »

Thanks everybody, gonna look into cyta and certainly will ask about connection fee as I'd already spotted that offer last month I think it was but will also ask our new neighbours. As for mobile we'll stick with Tesco until end of yr and see what happens regards to brexit I only pay £7 month for sim only out of contract anyhow so that's not a problem plus I'd already checked phone was unlocked cyprus is included in the home and away but with wifi i mostly use WhatsApp
josef k

Post by josef k »

I suggest you change to a Cyprus sim. I am with Epic and find them very good. Don't go on a contract unless you have a good reason. I have a Pay As You Go and must spend anything up to 20 euros a year. What with Messenger, WhatsAp, Viber and the like, there is rarely a need to make a chargeable call or text. I have to say I never use mobile data, only free wifi when out and about. It works for me and may work for you.