English Lavender and Hibiscus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

English Lavender and Hibiscus

Post by aphrodite »

Not a gardener myself, but I would like to plant an English lavender bush and Hibiscus in my garden. Where would be a good garden centre in Pafos to find these and when is the best time to plant?

I would appreciate some help. Thank you :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: English Lavender and Hibiscus

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I would try it at the London Garden Center, Polis Road. I bought my plants in the past 30 years or so from them...

Both you can plant in Jan/Feb and mind: not too much water for the lavender bush, now and in future.

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Aphrodite,
You didn't say whereabouts you live. There are a number of good nurseries and Garden Centres. There is a big one on the road between Chloraka and Kissonerga villages. It is on the left of the road if you are driving from Chloraka.It has a wide variety of plants, many of which they produce in their polytunnels. There is also a smaller, but very helpful nursery in Kissonerga village. The best time of year to plant hibiscus and most other plants is in early spring. If you live somewhere very sheltered on the coastal plain, you can plant in Feb/ March. If you live at higher altitude, wait for the weather to warm up a bit before planting.
Hibiscus prefer a sunny and fairly sheltered part of the garden.
Lavender is hardier and can be planted anywhere in the garden, in soil which drains easily,

Dee
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Hidcote is a good variety of lavender, as previously stated a well drained soil is best for them
And I agree Londons is an excellent garden centre
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

There are at least 10 varieties of lavender common in this country. I doubt whether any of them are
what you would call English lavender because they have to cope with a different climate.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Devil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm There are at least 10 varieties of lavender common in this country. I doubt whether any of them are
what you would call English lavender because they have to cope with a different climate.
I have Hidcote in my garden and it does nicely in well drained soil
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Devil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:46 pm There are at least 10 varieties of lavender common in this country. I doubt whether any of them are
Am I mistaken in thinking this is English lavender?
Attachments
B88B9A8B-9C05-439B-8509-BA53FFE6A1E2.jpeg
B88B9A8B-9C05-439B-8509-BA53FFE6A1E2.jpeg (201.68 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 pm Aphrodite,
You didn't say whereabouts you live.

Dee
Sorry Dee, I didn’t mention in my post where I live because it says Kamares in my profile! Thank you for all your recommendations, much appreciated. :D
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:02 pm I would try it at the London Garden Center, Polis Road. I bought my plants in the past 30 years or so from them...

Both you can plant in Jan/Feb and mind: not too much water for the lavender bush, now and in future.

Max
Sadie wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:16 pm Hidcote is a good variety of lavender, as previously stated a well drained soil is best for them
And I agree Londons is an excellent garden centre
Thank you both for your advice, I will definitely have a look around the London Garden Centre
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Aphrodite.

When the lockdown is over, visit the Amphitheatre Cafe and have a word with Robert. He's a horticulturist by training and grows lavender at the cafe.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

aphrodite wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:07 am Am I mistaken in thinking this is English lavender?
Sorry, I have not a clue! Although I can see the difference between the varieties when they are side-by-side, I could not name any of them. We have three varieties in our garden but they are strictly anonymous! :-)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Aphrodite,
I used to live in Kamares, so know the climate and winter temperatures well. My remarks about when to plant were more cautious as I would wait for warmer temperatures of spring.
before planting new plants.
Also, with hibiscus, if you want a particular colour its best to wait to buy them until the plants are starting to flower..
Dee