Snouts in the trough

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Snouts in the trough

Post by WHL »

Chaddy

Re: Snouts in the trough

Post by Chaddy »

Oh dear WHL i am surprised,,You dont need much training to spend some one else,s money.Flying first class? How do they fly when they are paying for it them selves i wonder.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

It may not be as bad as you think! A goodly number of years ago when the real Swissair flew to Larnaca from Geneva, I was firmly ensconced in a business class seat when the president of the Republic, Glafcos Clerides, came on board with his entourage of about eight persons. Like me, he sat in business class, two rows in front of me with an aide at his side. Two politicians sat in the row behind them and the rest of the party went into economy class.

The four in business class did paperwork for most of the journey, perhaps with a coffee and a nibble because they probably had had the lunch in the United Nations VIP dining room!

The fuss and carry on happened only when we arrived at Larnaca. The plane stopped outside the VIP lounge for the president's party, while we paying passengers waited half an hour more than usual for the plane to arrive at the customs shed.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:58 pm It may not be as bad as you think! A goodly number of years ago when the real Swissair flew to Larnaca from Geneva, I was firmly ensconced in a business class seat when the president of the Republic, Glafcos Clerides, came on board with his entourage of about eight persons. Like me, he sat in business class, two rows in front of me with an aide at his side. Two politicians sat in the row behind them and the rest of the party went into economy class.

The four in business class did paperwork for most of the journey, perhaps with a coffee and a nibble because they probably had had the lunch in the United Nations VIP dining room!

The fuss and carry on happened only when we arrived at Larnaca. The plane stopped outside the VIP lounge for the president's party, while we paying passengers waited half an hour more than usual for the plane to arrive at the customs shed.
to be fair I wouldn't expect any head of a country, to travel in economy?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Totally irrelevant to the subject but I was once stuck in Shanghai to get to Hong Kong. I was told that business class and economy class were both fully booked and that the only seats available were in first class. My terms were either economy or business but not first, but I had to make a connection for a flight out of Hong Kong. I bit the bullet and bought a first-class ticket, knowing that I would not be fully refunded. Waiting in the first class lounge (only time!) an announcement came saying that there had been a problem with the plane and we were being transferred to a plane without first-class, full of apologies to put us in business class. They refunded the difference in cost between first and business on the spot, in cash, so I did not have to refund the difference. :-) I am not sure but I think the airline was possibly Cathay Pacific or Chinese.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

We treated ourselves ( only once ) and travelled first class to the US.Fine,but i can never figure out why they gave us pyjamas for a day time flight :?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We always travel Business Class. Worth every penny. When I was in Business always flew to the Middle East on Business class and then all other flights First class. Of course, I was not paying, all down to business expenses.
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:28 am We always travel Business Class. Worth every penny. When I was in Business always flew to the Middle East on Business class and then all other flights First class. Of course, I was not paying, all down to business expenses.
Yes i agree Lincoln...Think of it as going SKIing.........Spending the Kids Inheritance ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flown to the states many times with USA airlines and Virgin Atlantic, and while waiting in the departure gate, if they have spare places in business they would come out and ask if anyone would like to upgrade for a sum of money, the nearer the flight take off, the less they would ask, I remember once, just before boarding, the guy comes out and says, we are issuing upgrades for a hundred dollars each, so I go up to him and I said, I give you one hundred for both of us, he agreed, so for fifty dollars each we got upgraded, and for anyone who has been on a twelve hour flight to L,A they would appreciate what a great deal that was, after that I would go up to them and ask if they had any deals, managed to get it many times, If I remember correctly, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines, American Airlines Virgin, all did deals.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL,mmmmmm.We where checking in business class with BA at Atlanta for Heathrow and the guy said would we like to upgrade to first class.Of course we said,yes,how much.......wait for it........$900 EACH. :o I said are you serious ,,his reply ,,,,yes sir :roll:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am WHL,mmmmmm.We where checking in business class with BA at Atlanta for Heathrow and the guy said would we like to upgrade to first class.Of course we said,yes,how much.......wait for it........$900 EACH. :o I said are you serious ,,his reply ,,,,yes sir :roll:
I dont know what you re in implying with the mmmmmm palava :D , but I said US airlines especially Delta, they were always eager to do a deal
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:26 pm
Chaddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am WHL,mmmmmm.We where checking in business class with BA at Atlanta for Heathrow and the guy said would we like to upgrade to first class.Of course we said,yes,how much.......wait for it........$900 EACH. :o I said are you serious ,,his reply ,,,,yes sir :roll:
I dont know what you re in implying with the mmmmmm palava :D , but I said US airlines especially Delta, they were always eager to do a deal
I were not implying nowt,i was bringing to attention the difference in airlines.Ive been flying the same route with BA Atlanta Heathrow and never had a deal.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm
WHL wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:26 pm
I were not implying nowt,i was bringing to attention the difference in airlines.Ive been flying the same route with BA Atlanta Heathrow and never had a deal.
Mate its what the yanks do, they like making money, Dollar is King, they will never refuse a profit, no matter how small it might be, I once went with an American friend of mine for him, to buy a used car, I got talking to one of the sales men, and he said to me, friend we have two hundred cars sitting on the lot. one dollar profit is worth more then a hundred people coming just for a look. that just about sums up the yanks and doing business.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Not just the Yanks! I have had free upgrades with BA on at least two occasions, one of them transatlantic!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:44 pm Not just the Yanks! I have had free upgrades with BA on at least two occasions, one of them transatlantic!
These were not free, just saying you could do a deal with the yanks to get a cheap upgrade. something B.A ,would never entertain
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Devil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:44 pm Not just the Yanks! I have had free upgrades with BA on at least two occasions, one of them transatlantic!
These were not free, just saying you could do a deal with the yanks to get a cheap upgrade. something B.A ,would never entertain
Exactly,this is what i was saying.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I can assure you that my wife and I had free upgrades on British Airways about 1990. We had a BA connection from Geneva to London, which was late and we arrived at LHR about five minutes before our flight to JFK was due to take off. There were two or three other passengers in the same boat. Apparently, our allocated business class seats had been given to people on the waiting list, so they upgraded us free of charge. They wanted to get the plane in the sky ASAP. Our baggage arrived the following day.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:46 pm I can assure you that my wife and I had free upgrades on British Airways about 1990. We had a BA connection from Geneva to London, which was late and we arrived at LHR about five minutes before our flight to JFK was due to take off. There were two or three other passengers in the same boat. Apparently, our allocated business class seats had been given to people on the waiting list, so they upgraded us free of charge. They wanted to get the plane in the sky ASAP. Our baggage arrived the following day.
Devil we believe you, we also have had free upgrades on flights, we were talking about airlines charging for upgrades, and with the american airlinnes, they will barter with you, where as B.A will not.