The cost of Amazon.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

The cost of Amazon.

Post by JimX »

I have been a regular Amazon buyer but has anyone noticed the shipping charges now, the items I was interested in purchasing the shipping charge was more the the item cost, I guess Amazon do not want overseas buyers.?
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: The cost of Amazon.

Post by Dominic »

All depends what you are buying I guess. Nothing has changed with the stuff I order. Besides, I get a lot of my orders shipped via RSS and LHUKCY, so it is nothing.

Best bit is, by the time it arrives I have forgotten what I ordered so it always comes as a little surprise!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Supply and demand i,m afraid :( Busineses anywhere especially successful one,s know just how much you will be willing to pay for the service or product..Ask any business owner what they charge and if they are honest will tell you " as much as i can ".
I doubt you will stop buying off Amazon because of the increase in delivery charges..After all is not Amazons owner Jeff Bezos the richest man the worlds ever known.
Oh and lets say you have a skill and three business want you to work for them.Who do you go and work for??..The one who pay,s the highest wages?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally I dont use Amerzon as I can get everything here, at a comparable price, and if it doesn't work I take it back.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

[quote][quote=Dominic post_id=126885 time=1606108026 user_id=157]
Best bit is, by the time it arrives I have forgotten what I ordered so it always comes as a little surprise

Bet you were like a 5 year old 2 weeks before Christmas waiting for your new drone :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I discovered Amazon when we lived in Cyprus and have continued to use it since returning to UK.
We trialled the Prime account at £7.99 a month for about 6 months from November last year, which I enjoyed mostly for the speedy next day delivery and we also caught up on 2 or 3 TV series that we missed out on as not shown on Freeview as well as a few kindle purchases and loans from the reading library.

We stopped the prime payment earlier this year and since then have just taken the option of the one month free every so often. Initially I was using it in conjunction with TopCashback because some of the offers were paying for a good proportion of the price I was paying for my Amazon purchases but as Covid continued, the offers reduced.

I like Amazon for their side by side comparison but hubby says he doesn't like it and prefers eBay. So when we are looking for something we want to buy together for the home, we each price compare then take our decision together.

I've bought several things over the last month as I've had the free Prime month with next day delivery for birthday gifts for mum and the best buy: 2 stretchy webbing belts for £8.88 including free next day delivery by a man in a van.

I'm currently in the market for either a very lightweight laptop / Chromebook or possibly a tablet which we can take with us on our travels to keep on top of our business emails. We've each been looking but nothing so far has grabbed us and with all pc stores only on click and collect at the moment, it means we can't do a hands on test. So, we think we will hang on until after Christmas or see what happens when this odd lockdown we're in right now comes to an end.

After the end of December though, our buying options may well change when Brexit comes to a conclusion 🤐
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And remember, if you use our Amazon link to get to the Amazon site, we will get a tiny cut if you buy something.

http://amzn.to/2Fw5KuM

:)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Well I have to say that all items I tried to purchase on Amazon UK were normal cost except for those very high shipping charges, I will look elsewhere in future for the many items you cannot buy here....
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Don't forget that after Jan 21 stuff coming from the UK will have extra duty on top, im not 100% sure on this im just guessing.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

Many Amazon users here in Cyprus will already have noticed that their Amazon goods, ordered through Amazon UK, are fulfilled via Amazon Germany - no Import Duty. Equally we can just sign in to Amazon DE and order - again no duty.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Does not explain to me why the very high recent shipping charges increases, the last four item I have attempted to buy via Amazon UK were more than the cost of the ordered item. I only buy or did buy on Amazon items that are not readily available locally.

I also use Amazon DE the shipping is slightly lower. At the moment.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

JimX wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:35 am Does not explain to me why the very high recent shipping charges increases, the last four item I have attempted to buy via Amazon UK were more than the cost of the ordered item. I only buy or did buy on Amazon items that are not readily available locally.

I also use Amazon DE the shipping is slightly lower. At the moment.
I am guessing the reason shipping costs are higher at present,
is because there are less flights operating in this covid period
resulting in airlines upping their cargo charges.