Pellet heating solutions?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
emgee

Pellet heating solutions?

Post by emgee »

Whilst in Pafos this morning, we came across a shop selling Pellet heaters.

Does anyone have any experience of them being used as a heating solution for the winter please.

I have nothing to do with the shop what sells them - honest guv!

Thanks

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Pellet heating solutions?

Post by Dominic »

Is that the one just down from Carforre?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I was talking to someone I meet on my dog walking and he was telling me about them. An elderly friend of his has one and apparently is very impressed. He said very little mess as you fill the "container" of the fire and the pellets drop down when required. He also told me that they gave out good heat.
No idea of the cost.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Dominic

Yes.

I don't want to advertise the shop, just interested in what its like to run. We have been in the shop, seen prices, just asking about people's experience with the system.

Thanks
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

My first question would be, "Are the pellets widely available on the island?"...
emgee

Post by emgee »

cyprusgrump

That's the kind of information I'm looking for! Great minds......and all that.

Alan
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I have had a pellet stove for 2 Years now, best purchase ever for the cold winter nights (and days!) It cost around 2000 euros, not cheap but running costs are reasonable, a 15 kg bag of pellets cost 6 euros and are widely available, in shop mentioned in the original post, but also in the home market and home centre.
Very easy to use and clean, the remote control sets the temperature and flame height, it also self cleans via the remote on shut down, it gives out 9 kW of heat, and uses little electricity. Heats a large lounge and kitchen, and the heat also goes upstairs,
Hope this helps
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

I should ad that the chimney pipe is narrow, and does not need to be the height of the house, the pipe goes through the wall, is angled slightly to prevent rain ingress, ( at the same level it protrudes the wall) I think it is around 7 inches in diameter. The price quoted included fitting.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

I know of two people in Polemi who have a pellet stove and are delighted with it.

Ian
emgee

Post by emgee »

So far, sounding good, Thank You.

Alan
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Typical Pellet Stove, self igniting, remote control, (some via smart Phone)

Easy to set temperature, and amend as room heats up.

Very east to clean, a little soot on the view glass which wipes of easily.

elan-dettaglio-768x1006.jpg
elan-dettaglio-768x1006.jpg (55.7 KiB) Viewed 6737 times
Goldano

Post by Goldano »

Hi I bought a pellet stove in the summer and so far, am more than happy with it. It cost just under €2K with 25% summer discount. The price included fitting, 10 bags of pellets and an industrial vacuum cleaner. It is very easy to operate. Set the required temperature and power output, then switch on or off by one button or use the remote control. Cleaning takes approx 1 minute per day. The bags of pellets (15kg) cost €6 and are available from the supplier who will deliver and stack. A bag of pellets can last 1-4 days depending on how long you have the stove switched on for and how high an output. When I first started using it, just for a few hours in the evening, a bag lasted 4 days. When my family stayed with me over Christmas the stove was on from 7:30 in the morning till gone midnight and used one bag per day! It is still working out cheaper than buying logs and far less mess and dust.

Hope this helps. If you want any more information send me a pm. Debs
emgee

Post by emgee »

Debs

Thank You.

Alan
Goldano

Post by Goldano »

Dean fits wood stoves...don't think he fits pellets stoves.
Goldano

Post by Goldano »

Don't think fitting a pellet stove yourself would be a problem for anyone who can drill a hole in a wall. The problem maybe commissioning a new one? It has to be set up and adjusted for the correct flow of pellets. They also have to be serviced after so many hours use.
emgee

Post by emgee »

We like to support local business, so, Pegeia first and then Pafos. We like to think that having a rapport with the installer/shop is best all-round as we can always pop into a shop if anything goes wrong as opposed to having to go to Poland to sort it out.

Alan
emgee

Post by emgee »

Fire installed and working as of yesterday.

No more Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr for us!

Alan
Bograt

Post by Bograt »

Happy in Cyprus - would you mind kindly sending me the contact details for Dean as well? Always good to know a builder that knows his stuff.

We wanted to get a log burner when we move over permanently. However, this thread has opened up a new train of thought. I like the fact that you have a thermostat on the pellet heaters. I also like the sound of the Invicta ones, that the other poster said they had fitted and which took logs as well.

Has anybody else had experience of both wood burners and pellet heaters, and if so, which do you think is best?