Well, What about that then?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
71 Trans Am

Well, What about that then?

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Mouthwash kills coronavirus within 30 seconds in laboratory tests, study finds
PA
Nov 17th 2020 4:46PM
Mouthwash can eradicate coronavirus within 30 seconds of being exposed to it in a laboratory, a scientific study has found.
The preliminary result comes ahead of a clinical trial into whether using over-the-counter mouthwash has the potential to reduce the levels of Covid-19 in a patient's saliva.
The Cardiff University report said that mouthwashes containing at least 0.07% cetypyridinium chloride (CPC) showed "promising signs" of being able to combat the virus.
The report – The Virucidal Efficacy of Oral Rinse Components Against SARS-CoV-2 In Vitro – is yet to be peer reviewed but supports another study published last week that found CPC-based mouthwashes are effective in reducing Covid's viral load.

Although this in-vitro study is very encouraging and is a positive step, more clinical research is now clearly needed
Professor David Thomas, Cardiff University
The latest test was carried out by scientists at the university's laboratory and mimicked the conditions of a person's naso/oropharynx passage using mouthwash brands including Dentyl.
A clinical trial will next examine how effective mouthwash is in reducing the viral load in the saliva of Covid-19 patients at the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff, with its results due to be published in the first part of 2021.
Dentyl is the only UK mouthwash brand to take part in the 12-week clinical trial, which is led by Professor David Thomas from Cardiff University and titled: "The measurement of mouthwash anti-viral activity against Covid-19".
Dr Thomas told the PA news agency: "Whilst these mouthwashes very effectively eradicate the virus in the laboratory, we need to see if they work in patients and this is the point of our ongoing clinical study.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Well, What about that then?

Post by Devil »

I would very much doubt whether a mouthwash would even be a fraction effective. Think about the deep swab used for determining whether a patient has the disease or not – and even that is not 100% reliable. No liquid would be effective without some form of mechanical aid because of its surface tension.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Didn't Tango man, recommend using bleach?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

That’s IF we define a Virus as being Alive - then we can kill it.... many regard them as NOT being alive...

However, that’s pedantic. Using the mouthwash at the very least, can help - just as washing hands can

I know a surgeon who has done this for some time and also cleans his nasal passages with iodine
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm Using the mouthwash at the very least, can help

I know a surgeon who has done this for some time and also cleans his nasal passages with iodine
Please tell me how a mouthwash can help, when the infection is neither in the mouth nor in the oesophagus.

As for cleaning nasal passages with iodine, the mind boggles! The most likely affect that it would have would be to upset the thyroid gland with potentially disastrous results if overdosed.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Surely the infection enters via the mouth, and nasal passages. Is that not why we are advised to wear a mask..
Many people including myself use mouthwash after brushing teeth, so no real extra expense. Apart perhaps when buying better or stronger mouthwash ..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:12 am
Not for one moment do I wish to doubt your scientific credentials, Devil. However, I am reminded that on the former Cyprus Living forum, in answer to a query I raised about using a step-up transformer so that American appliances could be used in the kitchen, you more or less said "it couldn't be done".

12 years later the same American appliances are performing flawlessly.
I have not a clue about what happened 12 years ago, the event or the context. Please PM me the thread in question. Was I even using CL 12 years ago?