Covid 19 vaccination

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Re: Covid 19 vaccination

Post by JimX »

Ha true....
Jim.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Ha true....problem though is NO flu vaccine are available on Cy..
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:30 pm Are those who decline to take the flu jab because "they never get flu" (and my wife is one of them!!) going to use the same logic to decline the covid jab, if and when it becomes available?
Personally speaking, I never take the flu jab, because ive been lucky health wise, as for the covid jab,
never say never, but I wont take any thing that hasn't been around for a few years
and all the side affects have been found out.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re "I wont take any thing that hasn't been around for a few years
and all the side affects have been found out."
I think this will be an issue and worry for quite a number of people, perhaps including myself and my wife !!
Trev..
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

I'm of an age when having a potentially life saving vaccine is a no brainer, with the possibility of some short or long term side effects is not an issue. All drugs usually come with some side effects and no doubt the Covid one will have some! Better than to die of coronavirus.

How will those who are 'vulnerable' who won't have it, going to protect themselves? Are they going to selfishly rely on the rest of us?
It's Back to the Future folks ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

DocDoc wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:05 pm I'm of an age when having a potentially life saving vaccine is a no brainer, with the possibility of some short or long term side effects is not an issue. All drugs usually come with some side effects and no doubt the Covid one will have some! Better than to die of coronavirus.

How will those who are 'vulnerable' who won't have it, going to protect themselves? Are they going to selfishly rely on the rest of us?
Dont understand what you mean by that? its your choice to take it or not?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Somebody yesterday responded about the vaccination after one lady said it had already been tested on 40,000+ people with no problematic side effects. Only those of us of a certain age will recall what he mentioned.....

The response that as a rule new vaccines should be tested for around 2yrs especially on women of child bearing age - the reminder about Thalidomide babies.

Definitely, I am not ready to be rushing for a vaccination at the outset - and I am not of child bearing age. I will stick with my annual flu jab after suffering with it for the first time a couple of years ago. I was laid up for 6 weeks and 4 of those I was in bed, too tired to even eat. I spent a month on fluids and the odd pot of cold rice pudding. Now I can't face cold rice pudding :-/
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I find it odd that so many people here who admonish the young for not masking up have no hesitation in not taking the vaccine.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I wouldn't raise hopes of a vaccine too soon anyway. So far, only one solution looks to be successful with maybe another 3 or 4 possibles. However, in the last 9 months, the world has not increased it's vaccine manufacturing capability so demand will outstrip supply for a long time.
Last edited by Jimgward on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I'm going to be eligible as I belong to a vulnerable age group. If my doctor thinks that the new vaccine, (as yet we don't know which one will find its way to Cyprus), is good and if this particular vaccine has caused few or no side fx while in its testing stage, I will have it.
I have already had my annual flu jab, which I was advised to have and will hopefully at some stage have a chance to have the new Covid vaccine. I may get some side fx, but it will be better than catching the actual virus.
If people don't accept the vaccine, the alternative is, to go from one lockdown to another, while wearing a mask. Plus being scared to travel by air in order to be able to travel and have a more normal life.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You don't half post some nonsense on here.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

So I guess that’s a no from Austin 7 then .
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

If, and when the vaccine is offered to me. I will take it gladly. . . . .

I got trully scared in March and April. . . My kids and grandchildren would not come near me In May, June and July (except out the back door), August, and into September were marginally better🤔 October . . . .getting slightly dodgy again! We live in a Level 1 area in the Highlands of Scotland and we have all behaved so well but, I will take any way out to live life more normally again.

I have had enough of this nasty wee spiky brute of a beastie and life is just too short to put up with him/her/it any longer. Let's just all stick a needle in the little bugger. 😁

Maggie B
jeba

Post by jeba »

Austin7 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:44 pm

With such an unblemished safety record how could you possibly refuse Pfizer's vaccination?
By not being aware the vaccine hasn´t actually been developed by Pfizer but rather by Biontech ? Pfizer merely provided cash and perfomed the clinical trials in the US.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Careful Jeba, you can prove anything with facts.

DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

Austin7 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 am
jeba wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:09 amBy not being aware the vaccine hasn´t actually been developed by Pfizer but rather by Biontech ? Pfizer merely provided cash and perfomed the clinical trials in the US.
The simple ...... If I ever did agree to have it it certainly wouldn't be within a year or two of it's use (if I live that long) and only if I am forced to have it to be allowed to travel abroad.
I think you might well be right Austin7, a Covid passport doc may well be a required norm in the future, before being allowed on a plane. Rightly so in my view.
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

The video posted by Austin7 was definitely an expose on Pfizer that I was not aware of. I doubt the claims made in it not to be fact, otherwise they would lay themselves open to a major lawsuit. However, in respect of the company who made the (hopeful) breakthrough re Covid, I see from their website https://biontech.de/ that they work closely with many, many biopharmacutical companies to market and distribute the drugs they have produced in their own laboratories. All such companies also work very closely with Universities in developing and testing possible new drugs. I know this personally from the University of Leicester Medical School, being personally acquainted with students of that department.

Perhaps BioNTech could have selected a distributer with a better track record than Pfizer :!:

Anyway, if after regulatory approvals, I'm offered a jab with Pfizer printed on the packaging, it won't stop me having it.
jeba

Post by jeba »

My take on it is that it should depend on the personal risk/benefit ratio. E. g. I've never bothered to be vaccinated against influenza as given my personal circumstances I deem that ratio unfavourable for me. Currently there isn't enough known about the new vaccines to properly assess that ratio.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just read this post on another forum - may have an impact on those who are hoping to get the flu vaccination done by their Personal Doctor:

''Just been advised from Dr Molly,s surgery
That GP surgery,s are now closed
You can contact by email or phone only between 9 am and 2 pm
Dr Molly,s usual opening times
Repeat prescriptions online
No surgery visits at all
My follow up blood tests for next week all stopped
What about all of those waiting for flu Jabs ?
This is a move I don,t understand as none of us stop having other health issues
But as with all other rules...will follow through''
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Although I am 'grabbing' part of a sentence, this is somewhat alarming...

Quote "That GP surgery,s are now closed"

This seems to say that ALL G P's surgeries are closed which seems very harsh..

I hope my appointment at the Iasis in the morning is still on..
Trev..