Appointment for MEU 3

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cheshire Lad

Re: Appointment for MEU 3

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Many thanks Jeanne....

CL
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Lloyd, does this mean any existing documents HAVE to be replaced with the new residency ones
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I wonder what will happen with regard to applications for the MEU3 that have been submitted, some for a considerable amount of time, will they automatically receive the UK3.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:41 pm A member, who is currently incommunicado on the forum, sent me an email in which he points to an article in the Sunday Mail, just gone:

After January 1, 2021, a new system for Residency will be in place.

The MEU1s, MEU2s and MEU3s can be replaced by new residence documents to be issued to UK nationals and family members. They will be much like the current system. A UK1, like the MEU1, will be valid for five years, a UK2, like the MEU2, for non-UK national family members, valid for five years and a permanent residence document the UK3, like the MEU3, for UK nationals and family members, will be valid for ten years.

The process will be particularly straightforward for British nationals and their family members who are already holders of an MEU1, MEU2 or MEU3.

To obtain these, holders of the current residence document – MEU1, MEU2, MEU3 – will only need to submit a valid passport as proof of identity and their current permit.

But this easy version of the new documents will be issued based on the paperwork of the old system. For example, an MEU3 holder will get a UK3 easily.
Lloyd
The validity of the UK3 for ten years is the same period for Non-EU Citizens. My wifes' original MU3 was issued for 10 years while mine was open ended. This means that when the MU3 expires applicants will have to meet the required Immigration criteria when reapplying.

Jim
dodo

Post by dodo »

This article was from Cyprus Mail.

Note- CAN be replaced, also read another article which I cant find now saying you can if you wish!
We got our Meu1 few weeks back and nothing mentioned about having to change to the new uk1

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/11/22/get- ... rits-told/
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too noticed that is say CAN be replaced and not HAS to be replaced.
But I assume there would be some benefit in replacing an older permission to live here .. Even if that benefit was to the advantage of the Cyprus Immigration department..

Incidentally from various reports the Immigration department are struggling now to keep up with applications.. IF EVERYONE wants to change to new documents, however are they going to cope with that ?
Trev..
josef k

Post by josef k »

All the MEU documents refer to the holders status as being an EU citizen, or a family member of one. After 31 December we will be treated as non-EU citizens and so the MEUs won't apply to us. Therefore we will have to get the replacements as mentioned above. It won't be optional.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Quite right, Josef. I hope picking up the new form will be as straight forward as it sounds.
Usually, any change of identity documents attracts the usual need for a clutch of other documents to be submitted.
Maybe this time Immigration will be so bogged down with all the documents which are already submitted that they will only need to confirm our identity by seeing our passports..
Here's hoping....
Dee
josef k

Post by josef k »

Immigration update.
We visited immigration today, having an appointment to get my better half her MEU3. The procedure was to go upstairs, knock on the outer door of the office. When opened, ask for a number, which was handed over. Then go back outside and wait for the number to be called (shouted from a window). Four hours later our number was called (no loo on site but Paps have a nice one next to the cafeteria). Ten minutes with the immigration officer including the taking of a photo. Then drive home to wait for the MEU3 to be posted in around 3 months time.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Choosing to switch to the UK1, 2 or 3 is optional under the Immigration Rules established as part of the Withdrawal Agreement. Anyone who applies for an MEU before the December 31st deadline is protected under the Withdrawal Agreement Protocols as published by the Immigration Department.

If you have recently and definitely before the Dec 31st date, received an MEU and you want to change it to a UK1,2,3 after the 1st January 21, then you simply produce it and your Passport and they will swap them over.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.