After a long time... delicious Red Mullet

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

After a long time... delicious Red Mullet

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I was waiting a long time to get fresh Red Mullet (Barbounia) at my favourite fish tavern as all summer they were from the day before...
Unusual the warm midday temperature with 27c at the seafront for a November's day. Of course only the usual Cypriot customers were dining, due to the corona problem.

Anyhow, I enjoyed every single bit of my starters: village salad, bread and tahini together with some white Tsangarides Xynistery wine and when the main dish arrived I struggled a lot with the amount I ordered... (greedy git)

So after that portion was only space for a Greek coffee for dessert... :oops:

Max
brengreen

Re: After a long time... delicious Red Mullet

Post by brengreen »

Looks lovely. Thanks for sharing. I've missed the restaurant catch ups.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Delicious :D
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes. Red Mullet is delicious, but even better if the fish were allowed to grow bigger before they are taken from the sea. I remember eating a Red Mullet which was large enough to be the main course. Grilled, accompanied by crisp chips and a nice village salad. That was back in 1969, at the rustic taverna at Paphos Harbour!
In those days there was plenty of fish, and a small fleet of fishing boats there.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:58 pm Yes. Red Mullet is delicious, but even better if the fish were allowed to grow bigger before they are taken from the sea.

Dee
I disagree, You can ask any Cypriot which size a Red Mullet (Barbouni) is tastier. The smaller they are, so much the better. A normal portion is between six and ten pieces. The large ones are for tourists which want to eat them with fork and knives to avoid eating them like the Cypriots do, without cutlery.
My record was about 100 pieces, 30 years or so ago, at Porto Latchi, but must admit that they were really very little, smaller than sardines, and one could eat them with head and tail. (no side dishes... only Whisky :roll: :roll: )

Max