Coronavirus: Incoming flights

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DocDoc

Coronavirus: Incoming flights

Post by DocDoc »

Fridays numbers following testing (From CM):-

Today’s 224 new cases came from a total of 3693 tests as follows:

97 cases from 729 tests of contacts of previously confirmed cases
80 cases from 1462 tests taken through private initiative
19 cases from 296 tests from the hospital labs

16 cases from 825 tests among passengers
7 cases from 51 tests after referrals by personal doctors and checks of special groups
1 case from 159 tests among pupils, teachers and school staff
1 case from 100 tests carried out under the programme of the Cyprus Football Association
3 cases from 81 tests at facilities for migrants

This raises a number of questions in my mind,

1) Why are so many people arriving (I presume) & testing positive?
a) Had they ignored the requirement to have a test 72hrs prior to flying? or,
b) Were they residents/citizens?

2) What happened to the passengers who shared a flight with these people?
a) Were they all tested (negative) before being allowed to go on their way & was there a follow up test carried out 7 days later? or,
b) Nothing?
It's Back to the Future folks ;)
June

Re: Coronavirus: Incoming flights

Post by June »

16 out of 825 ?
I would imagine that would be residents etc as holidaymakers have to prove they are Covid negative before they can board.
So look to yourselves in this case, or rather your government. Sorry but I've always thought this was a stupid idea and heaven help you when the kids come back from Uni in the UK at Christmas.
jeba

Post by jeba »

If I was the king of Cyprus incoming passengers would have to quarantine and get electronic tags to make sure they do. That would also help the hospitality industry as a collateral benefit.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:40 am If I was the king of Cyprus incoming passengers would have to quarantine and get electronic tags to make sure they do. That would also help the hospitality industry as a collateral benefit.
Thank God, Cyprus doesn't have a King, but I agree with the rest of your post.
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

WHL wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:32 am
jeba wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:40 am If I was the king of Cyprus incoming passengers would have to quarantine and get electronic tags to make sure they do. That would also help the hospitality industry as a collateral benefit.
Might be a damn sight better than the current corrupt lot ;)
WHL

Post by WHL »

DocDoc wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 am
WHL wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:32 am
Might be a damn sight better than the current corrupt lot ;)
You avin a larf, the corrupt lot of Cyprus are boy scouts compared to the bent Royals, as we speak the ex King of Spain is hiding out in the middle east, not to mention his gift of sixty million to his mistress,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... nable.html
Prince Randy Andy is at a loose end at the moment, maybe he could fill in for a bit,,,, in between getting his leg over :lol:
Varky

Post by Varky »

DocDoc wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:51 pm 1) Why are so many people arriving (I presume) & testing positive?
a) Had they ignored the requirement to have a test 72hrs prior to flying? or,
b) Were they residents/citizens?
2) What happened to the passengers who shared a flight with these people?
a) Were they all tested (negative) before being allowed to go on their way & was there a follow up test carried out 7 days later? or,
b) Nothing?
Under the present rules, residents and citizens of Cyprus do not have to have the 72 hour test before travelling. For me what happens after arrival seems not to be under a proper control.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I firmly believe that EVERY passenger should have a negative test before boarding. Then quarantine for five days before having another negative test.
All things are possible
risband

Post by risband »

A lot of students are already coming back, they do not need tests till they get here, So as you see the number of positive tests has gone up. Bet they wont do the quarantine,
Varky

Post by Varky »

Wensbry wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm Of course anyone in Cat B with a negative test then has 72 in which they could get infected before flying.
Whilst true, I think that most infectious cases are those who do not need a test in advance of flying. Of course I have no proof of this as the government does not publish details, only referring to travellers. Probably because to do so would cause embarrassment in certain quarters.
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

risband wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:25 pm A lot of students are already coming back, they do not need tests till they get here, So as you see the number of positive tests has gone up. Bet they wont do the quarantine,
So presumably we will have to buckle down with restrictions just so the little darlings can come back home for Christmas? Yes, I appreciate that they are legally entitled to enter THEIR Country, so why doesn't the government re-introduce quarantine hotels like they did in March-April under the watchful eye of The NG?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think Quarantine Hotels would be a good idea ...
Trev..
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

Lufthansa are trialling pre boarding Covid tests. They say that may be a way to make travellers feel safer and get people flying again. If people are shown to test positive they will be denied boarding.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is a good move.. The problems have been of course the time it takes for the results. If they have got that beat they are on a winner
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:39 pm These test are 20 minute tests. Doesn't get much better than that. You will know before you board the flight, or are denied embarkation.
what happens if only one member of a family tests positive? possible a child,
Varky

Post by Varky »

WHL wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:02 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:39 pm These test are 20 minute tests. Doesn't get much better than that. You will know before you board the flight, or are denied embarkation.
what happens if only one member of a family tests positive? possible a child,
A normal family would then decide to stick together and stay with the child....no brainer.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

But are families going to risk thousands of pounds booking holidays in the hope they will test negative at the airport? Will travel insurance cover this (I doubt it) ... and if they did I imagine it would cost quite a bit.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe by next year there will be new vaccines available? Pfizer have released some every encouraging news about theirs today and the Oxford Vaccine to be produced by AstroZenica is also doing very well in its stage 3 trial.

Dee