Nasty lightning strike yesterday night

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Nasty lightning strike yesterday night

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, yesterday night it supposed to be the first thunder and lightning coming this autumn and I tried to catch some of the flashes near Troodos mountains with my camera.

This was the mood, in the far distance on the horizon, one can recognize some flashes...

Suddenly there was a very noisy thunder coming from the opposite direction and I thought better to go indoors and switch the internet off, in case...

This was really lucky, because just after I switched off and put my camera in position indoors, behind the window, there was a nasty lightning strike just above the house which cut my electricity off. On the other hand it was in the 30 second window of my camera setting and the result was that:

I was a bit worried if the lightning damaged my photovoltaic system, but everything was OK this morning...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Nasty lightning strike yesterday night

Post by Dominic »

Got to love a good storm.

Raining again in Polemi now.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Galini

Post by Galini »

WOW ! An amazing photograph !

But, I am glad that because of your quick thinking you had no damage
Ams

Post by Ams »

Wow, super photo Max!!!
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We just had one strike very near our house. Our Photovoltaic system OK. However, the amount of bird droppings washed off our roof is amazing. Expect now to be producing a bit more electric, as, over the last three months, our production has been down on last year.
Moosey

Post by Moosey »

Incredible photo 👏🏻
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes spectacular unless it kills all your home electronics as it did my Daughter, PC, screen and TV system, do get power breakers on all your valued electronics, or it could cost you a lot of money.
Jim.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

JimX wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:31 am Yes spectacular unless it kills all your home electronics as it did my Daughter, PC, screen and TV system, do get power breakers on all your valued electronics, or it could cost you a lot of money.
JimX, is your house grounded against lightning strikes?
JimX

Post by JimX »

Yes ours is grounded via a copper pole into the ground, but do not expect this to save your electronics, get electronic breakers this is really a must do on Cy they are inexpensive to buy and could save you a lot of cash.

*This was not at my home but the Daughters in Lemba.
Jim.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

In the past I have used something called surge protectors, one for each electronic device. But I was told that they only protect the device from a single powerful surge. After the first surge, they are not effective anymore! Is that other people's experience?

JimX, is this the same thing as what you call electronic breakers?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I believe that the circuit breakers in the interior 'modern' meter cupboard will trip if there is an alteration in the current.
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

sunspot wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:59 am In the past I have used something called surge protectors, one for each electronic device. But I was told that they only protect the device from a single powerful surge. After the first surge, they are not effective anymore! Is that other people's experience?

Just Jim please..
Yes, but there are many types to buy, some are a one shot device, cost about €8s each, better are trips with a battery, they are more expensive but I am told more reliable, either way best to use trip devices.

Trev not always a direct Lightning strike these do not act fast enough, ask my daughter, some time back lightning killed my American style double door fridge, it now has a socket type circuit breaker..
Jim.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Just to clarify: I switched not only the internet off but also unplugged at the wall to be on the safe side. Every time thunderstorms come too close to the house I do that as I learnt my lesson from the past when I lost several appliances in the house from lightning strikes.

Max
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:17 pm Just to clarify: I switched not only the internet off but also unplugged at the wall to be on the safe side. Every time thunderstorms come too close to the house I do that as I learnt my lesson from the past when I lost several appliances in the house from lightning strikes.

Max
Yep Max I agree. That is the 'belts and braces' way of protecting everything and anything from lightning strikes. I remember being caught out with the weather forecast . . . . . .And jumping out of bed at 2am in the morning . . . to unplug stuff. And I also had surge protection on all my PC equipment. The HUGE bangs used to scare the BEJAYSUS out of me and my PC! 😁

Maggie B
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Bmwx5, the article is very interesting, and also the article underneath that one called 'Lightning Protection Systems'. Thank you.