Plastic septic tanks?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Plastic septic tanks?

Post by sunspot »

We are being told that plastic septic tanks do not exist in Cyprus. They have to be concrete. Does anyone know if this is true? Thank you.
PW in Polemi

Re: Plastic septic tanks?

Post by PW in Polemi »

I don't know whether it is true, I have only seen concrete ones. However, as Cyprus is in the earthquake zone, I would assume that a plastic tank, which, if it is working properly, will be more than half empty, will be more likely to crush and crack with the pressure of the soil around it.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

Septic tanks need to have drainage for fluids, that how they work, the solids then get removed by Bacteria, plastic would be of no use as they would need emptying far too often, this is why they use this type of sewage systems on Cyprus, just ask any builder.

Good luck.
Jim.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 pm I would have thought that plastic might be more resilient than concrete, Kay? Which is why it's always safer to have pvc liner in your pool than mosaic or ceramic tiles.
As you know, Lloyd, my pool used to be infinity with an underground plastic balance tank. The tank split on more than one occasion, due to inward pressure from the surrounding soil.
We have also been told, by varying pool experts, not to leave the pool empty for long periods because the pressure against the pool walls from outside will be greater than the pressure from inside the empty pool. So my (feminine 🙂) logic suggests that a plastic septic tank may well buckle inwards or split open due to pressure from outside.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

I´ve seen a metal house with a plastic tank which was standing outside on the floor. It was quite big - I guess at least 1500 liters. I´m also guessing that it needed to be emptied regularly as I can´t remember seeing a drain.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that concrete is the normal material used for septic tanks. It seems more durable, and as others have said it withstands earthquakes. After 19 years in use it was still in good working order. The important thing is to have a good deep soak away pit, in a place which doesn't flood in case of heavy rains. The soil there should allow good drainage.

As regards pool, a lot depends on the way it is constructed. Ours was built of reinforced concrete, both the base and sides. The pool area was also surrounded where needed by stone and concrete retaining walls. The area around the pool had Reinforced concrete, then crazy paving. The pool was lined with mosaic tiles. They proved to be hard wearing, with standing earth tremors and the occasional bigger Jolt of an earthquake which measured 5.4 on the Richter scale. Our developer said their construction should withstand most earthquakes!
Unlike using a plastic liner which has a finite lifespan, our tiled pool just required the usual pool maintenance.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
I appreciate that pool liners must have advanced a lot now. But I know several people whose tiled pools, when well maintained , seem to last indefinitely... all pools that have been well constructed using reinforced concrete. They usually cost more to build, but once set up seem to last very well and are cheaper to maintain. Replacement liners are quite expensive and pools need to be emptied in order to do this.

I guess its "chaque un son goute", each to his own!

Dee