Scottish teen seeking justice after reporting she was raped in Protaras last year

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Scottish teen seeking justice after reporting she was raped in Protaras last year

Post by Paphos Life »

A Scottish teenager who had her allegation of rape dismissed by police in Cyprus is having her case examined by Police Scotland.The woman alleged she was attacked by a hotel worker in Protaras in May last year....

Read the article and chat about it below...
DocDoc

Re: Scottish teen seeking justice after reporting she was raped in Protaras last year

Post by DocDoc »

If the allegation is true that the Cy police did not do as they promised, though of course interesting that they instigated a course for the police on how to deal (properly) with rape allegations.
It's Back to the Future folks ;)
emgee

Re: Scottish teen seeking justice after reporting she was raped in Protaras last year

Post by emgee »

I have always found that the Cypriot Police speak very good English and are very polite.

Alan
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:59 pm I have always found that the Cypriot Police speak very good English and are very polite.

Alan
Do you spend much time in Ayia Napa?

Genuine question. I've never spoken to one on the East of the island, so couldn't comment.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

emgee wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:59 pm I have always found that the Cypriot Police speak very good English and are very polite.

Alan
They are a reflection of the society they represent, you get polite ones, grumpy ones, well spoken ones, rude ones, the only thing ive learned in all the years ive been here is, if you are polite to them talk to people with a smile be it coppers or office workers etc you generally get the same back.... as for Napa the Police are dealing with people usually tanked up, some looking for a scrap, so the police need to take a different approach.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Road Warrior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Alan
Words fail me.
Why?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Road Warrior wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:08 pm

Alan
Words fail me.
Why?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well I had a run-in with the Police today, and they were very professional. I had gone out to calibrate my 360 camera. Occasionally one of the lenses on it can move slightly. This causes stitching errors when the image is formed. To rectify this I needed to take pictures outside a large building from various angles. You basically put the camera in a tripod, take the picture, then rotate 60 degrees. With enough pictures, the software works out where the lenses are.

For this to work, you need a tall building. Paphos doesn't have any, but I found a hotel that had a decent-sized wall, and started photographing that. After three shots, I noticed a red light on the camera that should have been blue. This indicated low battery (I thought). So basically I wasn't taking any pictures. So I started packing away. Two men appeared from the side of the building and asked me what I was doing, and why I was photographing their car. I said I wasn't, I was calibrating the camera. Anyway, this was a conversation that was going nowhere, but one of the men turned out to be the owner of the hotel. He said they had VIP guests who didn't want to be photographed. I tried to explain that the only reason I was there was because of the tall building, but he wasn't having any of it. He said he was calling the police, and call the police he did.

At this point I realised that the red light was on not because of power but because I had left the memory card back in Polemi. So there weren't even any pictures to offend. I tried explaining this but he just said I had to tell that to the police.

At this point, I could have just walked away. He had my numberplate and the police could have knocked on my door had they the desire. But I decided to wait for the police, as that would probably be the quickest course.

Anyway, the police turned up about 10 minutes later, and I explained everything to them. They were very polite, and asked me to follow them to the station. I duly did so. There I made another statement, and I was sent on my way. At all times, the police behaved impeccably.

I can't speak for Ayia Napa, but that is how I found the Paphos Police - totally professional.

I won't name the hotel, and I can see where they were coming from. But I still think the owner was a bit heavy handed, and they are no longer in our hotels directory...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ive had dealings with the police over here, the UK, all over, and I found if you are polite and smile you usually get the same from them, get lippy and give them attitude, you will receive the same
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too have had dealings with the Police a good number of times here both at home, out on the road and in the Police Station. I too can only say that they acted professionally even though on two occasions I have been fined.
Trev..
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Bloody ell Dominic you could have risked some of us not enjoying future videos :( :lol:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I never go to Agia NapaI, but also have never had any problem with the police, either in the UK or in Paphos. I can only echo what others have said. i find that politeness, listening to what they say, and if necessary I would say I am sorry if I have been pulled up for a minor offence. Never get into an argument, if you have any reason to disagree with anything do it quietly and with sensible explanation. For example I was stopped having come out of a turning in Chloraka. Another car was coming, but I had adiquate time to pull out and get ahead of him. . Its the sort of thing that happens in Paphos every day, and most people get away with it. But unfortunately, a policeman was lying in wait.. and stopped me.
So, I appoligised and said the other driver wasn't inconvenienced (or words to that effect).
He told me the fine was €70, but I was only fined €30. Later I checked the road I had come out of, and confirmed it had nothing to indicate a major road ahead..or a stop sign. But, the minor incident had ended pleasantly. I don't want to cause any problem.
The policeman was friendly and he spoke much better English, than I can Greek!
You never know if at a later date you might need the help of the police in an emergency..
Dee
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:22 pm I won't name the hotel, and I can see where they were coming from. But I still think the owner was a bit heavy handed, and they are no longer in our hotels directory...
Oh you very BITCH that you are. ;)

Maggie B

PS Karma will get the b*gger. It always does. :D