Cheap calls to UK.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
darrow

Cheap calls to UK.

Post by darrow »

Sometime ago someone mentioned a firm they had used since being here for cheap calls to UK. I currently have a red plan with Cyta that expires in November. They are increasing the price from €11 to €14+ monthly, which is a big jump! So I am looking elsewhere! I have two people I contact regularly who do not have internet, only phones. Any suggestions? TIA. :?:
J B

Re: Cheap calls to UK.

Post by J B »

Not sure if this will work for you ...
We have an account with https://www.localphone.com/
Basically, let's say Dominic's number is 991234, then L/P allocate a local number (to me) myareacodexxxxxx to call Dom so I dial this local number which then diverts to Dom
I pay BT for the call at local rate (out of my 'inclusive minutes') and then I pay L/P for them to divert to him

If it works in CY (check with them) then my UK mobile is 071234, they would give you a 26xxxxx number to call that would then divert to my 071234
J B
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Check out Freecall.com.

You make (or used to!) an initial payment of €5. Calls to UK landlines are then free, no matter how many calls you make. Calls to UK mobiles are €0.10 per minute, taken from your initial €5. When you credit is running low, you top it up.
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

J B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm Not sure if this will work for you ...
Basically, let's say Dominic's number is 991234, then L/P allocate a local number (to me) myareacodexxxxxx to call Dom so I dial this local number which then diverts to Dom
I pay BT for the call at local rate (out of my 'inclusive minutes') and then I pay L/P for them to divert to him

If it works in CY (check with them) then my UK mobile is 071234, they would give you a 26xxxxx number to call that would then divert to my 071234
Localphone does work from Cyprus. I use it occasionally. If you have your landline with Primetel, there's no charge from them as the special number is obviously also a PT number. (PT to PT is free if anyone wasn't aware)
It's Back to the Future folks ;)
jeba

Post by jeba »

You could check apps like voipbuster.com or dialnow.com. Calls are dirt cheap (0,6 - 1,2 Cents/minute) but you need wifi to make a call.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As Darrow says he does not have the internet.. But it may help others.
Trev..
darrow

Post by darrow »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:46 pm As Darrow says he does not have the internet.. But it may help others.
I have internet. Two elderly relatives do not.
jeba

Post by jeba »

darrow wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:00 pm
trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:46 pm As Darrow says he does not have the internet.. But it may help others.
I have internet. Two elderly relatives do not.
The recipient doesn't need internet.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Sorry for my mistake about Darrow and the internet :-(
Trev..
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

DocDoc wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:35 pm
J B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm Not sure if this will work for you ...

Localphone does work from Cyprus. I use it occasionally. If you have your landline with Primetel, there's no charge from them as the special number is obviously also a PT number. (PT to PT is free if anyone wasn't aware)
I need to correct what I said above. Whilst previously I was never charged anything to ring the intermediary number in Nicosia, 22 030365 I have seen from my recent Primetel bill that it is now a chargeable number, making my 1hr 15m call €2.30 instead of free, plus of course just the localphone charge of €0.36

Primetel say it's none of their doing, so I have emailed localphone seeking an answer and await a reply.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

You can subscribe to Skype and get a uk phone number and also subscribe to free uk calls.....costs around 50 to 60 pound per year. Then you can phone any uk landline without charge or anyone in uk can phone your skype number at local rates. You can use a pc, phone or tablet....the other person does not need a computer.

I have been using this about 15 years
DocDoc

Post by DocDoc »

Flyer wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am You can subscribe to Skype and get a uk phone number and also subscribe to free uk calls.....costs around 50 to 60 pound per year. Then you can phone any uk landline without charge or anyone in uk can phone your skype number at local rates. You can use a pc, phone or tablet....the other person does not need a computer.

I have been using this about 15 years
I guess if you make loads of call to the uk, but otherwise sounds expensive!