MEU1

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Re: MEU1

Post by Kili01 »

I don't know. Perhaps you should ask Immigration that question, or maybe the British High Commission? We have been told that 31st Dec is-the day the UK leaves the EU and have had at least 2 years to get ourselves ready.

Dee
dodo

Post by dodo »

We moved here 4 wks ago after coming out in Aug, offer accepted on a property and bank account opened before returning to uk. Now in a rental until house completes shortly and our belongings arrive on island tomorrow. We went to Gwenny a wk ago, opened a file and we had plenty of paperwork to get the ball rolling, not once mentioned it wouldn't be possible in the time frame. It was busy down there and you have to queue, but recommend go asap, oh the phone was constantly ringing throughout
JimX

Post by JimX »

Should that now be MEU3 not MEU1 ..?
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

As soon as you make the appointment for interview at the Immigration Office you are 'in the system' regardless of when the interview takes place. So, in theory if you make an appointment on 31 December you are OK even though the interview may not be until next February / March. Best to check with an agent or even better with Immigration as things do change, but that has been the policy for the past few years.

I have also been reading various websites that there has been an extension until 30 June 2021 including:

''Residency documents and status
You and your family may need to apply for a residence status to confirm that you were already resident in the EU country you live in before 31 December 2020. You will have until at least 30 June 2021 to do this.

The EU country where you live may set up a system for applying for a residence status. The application should be short, simple and either free of charge, or cost no more than applying for a similar document, for example a national identity card or passport.

You will have until at least 30 June 2021 to submit your application. We will share information on how to apply in our Living in guides when it is available''.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-europe
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

JimX wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm Should that now be MEU3 not MEU1 ..?
If you can start the ball rolling prior to Dec31st it will be an MEU1. If after that date, it could be an MEU2 which involves lots more hurdles.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
JimX

Post by JimX »

morning, we both applied for a MEU3 last year, have to say it was easy to do, had no problems with the application, we did it ourselves never needed any agents, good luck to those who are now trying to apply.
Jim.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Apparently we have our MEU1 appointment next Tuesday.....woohoo!
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

By way of an update. We got our MEU1's today but it took 3 hours plus. They only had one person processing until about midday when some relief arrived.
Lana M

Post by Lana M »

dodo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:33 pm We moved here 4 wks ago after coming out in Aug, offer accepted on a property and bank account opened before returning to uk. Now in a rental until house completes shortly and our belongings arrive on island tomorrow. We went to Gwenny a wk ago, opened a file and we had plenty of paperwork to get the ball rolling, not once mentioned it wouldn't be possible in the time frame. It was busy down there and you have to queue, but recommend go asap, oh the phone was constantly ringing throughout
Good afternoon,
Could you please give me contact details of Gwenny? I am planning to apply for MEU1 in November.
Thank you
Lana
dodo

Post by dodo »

Google Gwenny Red Tape Paphos, all details there including contact form. Would recommend doing asap as even though we've been to their office and got the ball rolling so to speak they can not guarantee an appointment with immigration as they are inundated presently and have stopped giving appointments
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Lana M
While waiting at Immigration office for our MEU3 interview on 6th October, people coming in to arrange appointments were being given dates for mid-December so I’d get onto it asap.

It’s easy enough to do it yourself but you might need Gwennys help in view of the looming deadline.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Nothing annoyed me more than having queued for 2hrs already and being number 79 on the list and they are calling 41, then Gwenny's agent arrives and guides her sheep into the issuing office. An hour and a half later, I'm still there, aged 78 and been standing all the time. Disgraceful.

Alan
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Totally agree with you emgee. Having waited nearly two hours ourselves, just kept reminding myself how much money we were saving doing it ourselves!
To those of you who still have to attend interviews my advice would be - take a good book with you!
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Lazydaze52 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:28 pm Totally agree with you emgee. Having waited nearly two hours ourselves, just kept reminding myself how much money we were saving doing it ourselves!
To those of you who still have to attend interviews my advice would be - take a good book with you!
And a folding stool/chair, because of social distancing most people have to wait downstairs outside as only a few allowed in the waiting room, plenty of chairs in there but none outside, we stood for 2 hours until our number was called then another 30 minutes in the waiting room.
If I was 10 years older it would have been hard work.
People who were waiting with us said that they inquired at an agent and said it was 180 euros each but you still need to go to the agents office to hand them your documents so that they can book you in and the attend on the day of the appointment.
It is annoying that these agents can swan in and jump the queue, it makes you wonder how they can do that, but I can guess...
David
Lana M

Post by Lana M »

Thank you very much for all your replies. You have been very helpful.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Well we used an agent back in April 2019, certainly got no preferential treatment waited in the queue like everybody else, seen when our number was called, and thanks to the last minute panic applications flooding the system still waiting for the MEU3, don’t expect to receive it anytime soon.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

I suppose some (like us for MEU3) have only just become eligible, but I can’t understand why you wouldn’t apply for the relevant papers if you intend to make Cyprus your home.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One good reason for applying for MEU3 Permanent Residency as soon as you become eligible:

''As an EU national, you automatically acquire the right of permanent residence in another EU country if you have lived there legally for a continuous period of 5 years. If you fulfil this requirement, you can apply for a permanent residence document, which confirms your right to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions.

This is different from the registration certificate which is compulsory in many countries. The permanent residence document is not compulsory''.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r ... dex_en.htm

ALSO
If you have retired early/living on private income and after five years residency obtain the MEU3 document you will then meet the criteria to use the GESY state healthcare system - a huge saving in private health care insurance premiums.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re "If you have retired early/living on private income and after five years residency obtain the MEU3 document you will then meet the criteria to use the GESY state healthcare system - a huge saving in private health care insurance premiums.

We only have MEU1 but use the Gesy healthcare with no Tax taken only the usual minimum charges to use various items of the system
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:43 pm Re "If you have retired early/living on private income and after five years residency obtain the MEU3 document you will then meet the criteria to use the GESY state healthcare system - a huge saving in private health care insurance premiums.

We only have MEU1 but use the Gesy healthcare with no Tax taken only the usual minimum charges to use various items of the system
Yes Trev, you have the S1 form because you receive the UK state pension which makes you eligible for GESY.

However, if you have MEU1 and do not have the S1 form (or pay Social Insurance through employment) you are not eligible for GESY.