Tax for Gesy.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Tax for Gesy.

Post by JimX »

Having just seen our accountant that we use, I have no tax to pay, but €386.53 for Gesy, is this normal? anyone know please.
Jim.
trevnhil

Re: Tax for Gesy.

Post by trevnhil »

My understanding is that if you have an S1 then you should not have to pay ' Gesy Tax' as the UK are paying for your medical treatment
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Did mine myself , no tax to pay and none for Gesy . Added the exemption details re S1 .
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Jim,

We had to request an exemption form from , tmichael@papd.mof.gov.cy <tmichael@papd.mof.gov.cy> wrote:

Good afternooni
Could I please have a confirmation that I am not required to make contributions in respect of Gesy in accordance with the General Health System Law 2001

My details are:
Full name: Xxxx
Date of birth: 31st Xxxx
ID no: 12345678( MEU 1)

Thank you,
Regards

Good luck
Ian
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Jim, the topic was discussed in more detail here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9955&p=95882&hilit= ... ael#p95882
JimX

Post by JimX »

Many thanks all, it is very confusing, we both have MEU3 but our accountant insists you now have to contribute to GESY, We do not earn enough to pay income Tax, this does seem a large amount to pay for GESY , incidentally last March I had to pay up front for an operation that I was told was covered by GESY, and it wasn't...

From the Tax page for GESY.

http://knews.kathimerini.com.cy/en/news ... -of-income

Tax declaration to become obligatory irrespective of income
Even for annual income less than €19500.

The current year will be the last year when it will not be mandatory for a Cypriot tax resident under the tax-free annual income limit of €19500 to file a tax return.

From 2019 everyone will be required to submit a tax declaration.

According to Finance Minister Haris Georgiades who was presenting the 2019 budget at the House of Representatives, the measure is aimed at ''closing any window of tax evasion’’.

"Even those who are not liable for a tax payment will need a few minutes to confirm that they are tax-free," the Minister noted.
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The thing I love about Taxisnet is you can play about with figures to see what effect they have before you hit the final submission .
I tried it with saying I did not have an S1 and indeed I would have had to pay 339€ for Gesy . Then I went back and put in my S1 details and the result was no payment require for Gesy.
Attachments
No S1
No S1
BB8AC1C0-2D2F-4035-93AC-05C162085476.jpeg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 4731 times
alewfin1

Post by alewfin1 »

JimX wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:37 am ... our accountant insists you now have to contribute to GESY, We do not earn enough to pay income Tax,
Jim,

Why do you employ (and presumably pay) an accountant when you don't earn enough to pay Income Tax ?

Would it not be cheaper to do it yourself as the Income Tax online form is straight forward ?
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note , after Jan 2021, if there is a no deal on Brexit, will the UK Government stop paying for expat medical care?
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

WHL wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:26 am On a side note , after Jan 2021, if there is a no deal on Brexit, will the UK Government stop paying for expat medical care?
I think I read somewhere it is guaranteed for 4 years ?

Does anyone know ?
Galini

Post by Galini »

I am in the same position - no tax to pay as income below the threshold but I have to pay a GESY contribution.

Not all of us are in receipt of our UK State Pension yet and will therefore not have an S1
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re.. "GESY contributions are payable on total income." Not if you have an exemption letter from the Republic of Cyprus, Ministry of Health ..
Trev..
Lucky Lady

Post by Lucky Lady »

But you only get the letter if you have an S1 - which you can get when you receive your state pension. So anyone younger than pensionable age has to pay GESY contributions on their total income. Either they pay for GESY, take out private health insurance or both. Yes it is a difficult situation for some people, but healthcare cover needs to be factored in if you wish to live and work here.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Jim, i know you are over retirement age. Email the address given by Chesire lad. You shouldn't wait long for a reply. Use the info to fill in you GESY exemption. . You do not pay as an E121/S1 holder
JimX

Post by JimX »

Darrow hello..

I contacted our accountant again, he said once you have your MEU3 and join GESY you will usually have to pay now with this amount above, I will contact that email but honestly we live in Cy and you have a sort of free medical care, you have to now pay the ferryman.

I have a E121/S1

Ale...re your reply, ''Why do you employ (and presumably pay) an accountant when you don't earn enough to pay Income Tax ?

Would it not be cheaper to do it yourself as the Income Tax online form is straight forward ?''

Believe me I have tried and I had no problems on line before, it for me was not straight forward,the fee is nothing to do with income tax, it is payment towards GESY as we will all have to pay very soon so our accountant says,read posted replies.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

We are S1 form holders and also MEU3 Permanent Residents and we do not pay GESY contributions. We sent the usual paperwork + the exemption letter to our accountant who has submitted the tax return.
''If you are a resident of the government controlled areas you are a GHS beneficiary if a) you are employed, or b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or c) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or d) you are insured in another EU Member State''.
https://www.gesy.org.cy/sites/Sites?d=D ... ibilityfaq
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Definitely send the email and get your exemption letter , it makes it clear S1 holders do not have to pay for Gesy .

I have posted this scan before .
Attachments
954D519E-83FB-4539-8B1E-6FF536D3B2F1.jpeg
954D519E-83FB-4539-8B1E-6FF536D3B2F1.jpeg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
JimX

Post by JimX »

As posted all new MEU3 holders will pay this medical tax to GESY if you sign up for the service, these are not my words but an accountants, I am as confused as most of us here, we have S1 white cards for medical treatment as was, but GESY now supersedes this if you go ahead and join in. again ????

Blobs thanks for the scan form I will take it with us when we go to see our accountant..
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

As mentioned in comments above. You need to have the Exemption letter from the Cyprus Ministry of health
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Post by galexinda » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 pm

In a nutshell as I understand the various sections on the GESY website

In order to qualify for GESY if you are a UK Expat:

All applicants must have either MEU1 or MEU3 Yellow Slip.

RIGHT OF RESIDENCE (AFTER 90 DAYS)
MEU1 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU1 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU1 only = NOT ELIGIBLE

PERMANENT RESIDENCE (AFTER 5 YEARS)
MEU3 + paying Social Insurance = YES (contributions paid via Social Insurance)
MEU3 + E121/ S1 Form = YES (no contributions payable)
MEU3 only = YES (contributions collected by Tax System or The Treasury - this to be confirmed)

If YES, then Dependants/Beneficiaries are also eligible and they do not contribute.

Hence, as a MEU3 Permanent Resident it is worth sending off for the Payment Exemption Certificate as mentioned in another current post.

More discussions on this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9979&p=95625&hilit= ... orm#p95625